Post-Game Talk: Senators VS The Lehner #2 (Buffalo) Saturday Sept.26 TSN5 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
But isn't he kind of right though?

Without Karlsson and Methot, the defense would be really bad unless Wiercioch, Ceci and Cowen fully cemented themselves as top 4 dman.

Wiericioch-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
xxxx-Boro

Yuck.

I agree with this. If both Methot and Karl is taken away, the D is comparable to what BUF has now. Which is a bottom 5 D corps.

BigBush*

But isn't he kind of right though?

Without Karlsson and Methot, the defense would be really bad unless Wiercioch, Ceci and Cowen fully cemented themselves as top 4 dman.

Wiericioch-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
xxxx-Boro

Yuck.

oh for sure, of course. but like, if Pittsburgh lost their top line, a lot of teams would have comparable offense to them

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don't think the Buffalo D is done being built. Let's not pretend it won't be improved.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I don't think the Buffalo D is done being built. Let's not pretend it won't be improved.

Yeah, I'm not debating that. They will improve, and most likely get another high pick due to the current state of their D.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

I don't think anyone here is pretending that it won't be. Of course it will be improved.

People are just saying that their d will be kind of bad to average for next season.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Oy.....I think it might be best to not compare defensive rosters for a while. I don't want to jinx our kids.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I know who #1 is, but who is #2?

Ristolainen and Bogosian. Bogosian actually did play the first game (@ Minnesota) but hasn't played since. Ristolainen got injured before the first game and was given a timetable of about 2 weeks.

-----

Regarding the earlier convo there's no question our defense isn't good right now but I dunno how terrible it will be, especially now that it has the support of a legitimate forward group. One thing for sure is that it can't sustain injuries to key guys or multiple injuries to depth. It comes down to how good Ristolainen can be this season. I'm confident in Pysyk being a second-pairing player, not a third-pairing player. Since day one his positioning and poise has been among the best in the organization. He should have been with the team all last year. Definitely don't agree with Bogosian being "exposed" last season. That's like saying Myers was exposed last season until he was with the Jets where he magically became a hyped up player. He's not a #1 defenseman but I'm not sure what saying he's exposed implies. Weber is a solid bottom-pairing guy when he's not saddled with garbage. Cola looked terrible in the preseason so far and should be our #7. Franson is a mess in his zone but he does bring positives we need.

There's no question we're a bottom 10 defense. We lack a #1 defenseman unless and until Ristolianen emerges at that, our key players are mostly young, and the depth from #7 to the AHL guys is underwhelming. I'll leave it lie there because this is probably getting OT for you guys.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If 90 percent of teams in the league lost their two best defenders, they'd have a bottom 5 defensive core...that's not really a sensible way to prove a point.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Ristolainen and Bogosian. Bogosian actually did play the first game (@ Minnesota) but hasn't played since. Ristolainen got injured before the first game and was given a timetable of about 2 weeks.

-----

Regarding the earlier convo there's no question our defense isn't good right now but I dunno how terrible it will be, especially now that it has the support of a legitimate forward group. One thing for sure is that it can't sustain injuries to key guys or multiple injuries to depth. It comes down to how good Ristolainen can be this season. I'm confident in Pysyk being a second-pairing player, not a third-pairing player. Since day one his positioning and poise has been among the best in the organization. He should have been with the team all last year. Definitely don't agree with Bogosian being "exposed" last season. That's like saying Myers was exposed last season until he was with the Jets where he magically became a hyped up player. He's not a #1 defenseman but I'm not sure what saying he's exposed implies. Weber is a solid bottom-pairing guy when he's not saddled with garbage. Cola looked terrible in the preseason so far and should be our #7. Franson is a mess in his zone but he does bring positives we need.

There's no question we're a bottom 10 defense. We lack a #1 defenseman unless and until Ristolianen emerges at that, our key players are mostly young, and the depth from #7 to the AHL guys is underwhelming. I'll leave it lie there because this is probably getting OT for you guys.

You're more than welcome to discuss this topic here. You're doing so in respectable manner and I, for one, enjoy the knowledge of Buffalo's D you are providing.

BigBush*

-----

Thanks for the inside info! IMO its the worst in the league, but without a doubt has some good pieces moving forward

And yet, somehow, a team without Karlsson made the playoffs.

im still shocked at that. proabaly had a lot to do with a shortened season(34 games once Karlsson wend down), only playing teams in the east, and Gonchar going close to a PPG during that stretch. i wouldnt bank on that happening again if karl goes down

BigBush*

haha Mark Stone is hilarious, when asked if he'd hit Eichel to welcome him to the NHL, Stone laughed and said he's probably just steal the puck from him instead.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
He picked #15 actually. #41 was the number he got assigned in dev camp. He said he will not switch to #15 unless and until he makes the team. It's kind of silly and endearing at the same time.

Why's that?

Cool! I will get to see him wear 41 in one of his few games in that number... Will save the lineup card and make thousands in 25 years!

Seriously thats cool. I remember another 2nd overall pick that wore a high number early... Spezza with 39.

Excited to see Kane Eichel Ennis. That could be a fun and exciting line all year. Interested to see how Ennis does. Like the tiny guys to do well.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I'm just happy to see Mark Stone on the ice tonight along with Methot. Was getting a little worried about those two.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Thanks for the inside info! IMO its the worst in the league, but without a doubt has some good pieces moving forward

im still shocked at that. proabaly had a lot to do with a shortened season(34 games once Karlsson wend down), only playing teams in the east, and Gonchar going close to a PPG during that stretch. i wouldnt bank on that happening again if karl goes down

Crazy things happen in shortened seasons, but the only playing teams in the East is an important factor.

The following season (13-14) where everything seemed to go wrong, the Senators would have had the same point percentage (or very similar) against Eastern teams as they did during the 12-13 lockout season.

They also had unreal goaltending that year. It says a lot that Anderson had a .941 save percentage yet only had a 12-9-2 record, which isn't a bad record but isn't a great one considering the obscenely high save percentage.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
They're a bad defense but there are 5 or 6 other teams with similar defensive units. Saying they're far and away the worst in the league is hyperbolic.

No, it's no exaggeration, they are not close to Ottawa, their D is the worst in the league. And Lehner is not a good goalie, Buffalo will lead the league in goals against, may as well embrace that now.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Apparently these were the lines in practice.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Chiasson - Smith - Neil
Prince - O'Dell - Paul
Michalek - Pageau - Lazar

I wonder who is dressing tonight?

BigBush*

Apparently these were the lines in practice.

MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Ryan
Chiasson - Smith - Neil
Prince - O'Dell - Paul
Michalek - Pageau - Lazar

I wonder who is dressing tonight?
Oh boy Lehners going to get lit up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad