Half-Assed GDT: senators vs just 1 goalie

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm not sure that you write off Karlsson's terrible +/- as being down to a bad goaltending when he is on the ice.

I'm thinking of the last game when Sobotka comfortably established position on Karlsson and drew a penalty, what should have been a penalty shot. Past years we wouldn't have seen that because Karlsson would have recovered position. If you are continually giving up premium scoring chances, then the goalies sv% is going to suffer.

I've not seen enough of the Senators to say whether it is bad luck or terrible team defense, but Karlsson certainly isn't skating as well as he has in the past. He's still putting up points, but he isn't the dominant force that we've come to expect.

Reactions: Lakewood

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Sounds like both teams are going with 13 forwards & 7 defensemen.

Edit: Or 11 forwards & 7 defensemen. One of the two.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
He isn't tough enough. We need someone like:

Parayko for Orpik

Let's go ahead and just keep it in house.. we'll trade Parayko from the 2nd pairing, Paajarvi from the roster and Thorburn from the lineup for Bortuzzo from the 3rd pairing, Kostin from the AHL and a water bottle from the press box.

Reactions: The Note in Ky

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Neither team is dressing goalies? :sarcasm:

Given how both teams have been playing lately; why would you force your Goalie to play behind them?
That almost qualifies as cruel and unusual punishment.
Plus, having to actually get back and cover the net might actually get these guys skating. If nothing else, they'll have to go back to get the puck at some point.

(yes; I know it was a typo/brain fart but I have seen this tactic used in minor League's to send players a message)

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
it would be pretty odd to start a game with both goalies on the bench, but i think it is time to do that.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm not sure that you write off Karlsson's terrible +/- as being down to a bad goaltending when he is on the ice.

I'm thinking of the last game when Sobotka comfortably established position on Karlsson and drew a penalty, what should have been a penalty shot. Past years we wouldn't have seen that because Karlsson would have recovered position. If you are continually giving up premium scoring chances, then the goalies sv% is going to suffer.

I've not seen enough of the Senators to say whether it is bad luck or terrible team defense, but Karlsson certainly isn't skating as well as he has in the past. He's still putting up points, but he isn't the dominant force that we've come to expect.

His expected +/- is -1.3. Expected +/- is a measure of what a player's +/- would be if every shot went in at the average rate of shots from that location. It is quite literally taking quality of shots allowed into consideration and it puts him at -1.3 while his actual +/- is -22. Corsica has his expected 5 on 5 goals against at 31.72 while his actual 5 on 5 goals against is 50. Every metric that takes quality of chances allowed into consideration points towards him being on the ice for significantly more goals against than he should have.

Even if half the shots taken while Karlsson is on the ice are high danger chances, .860 is a bad SV%. I don't know how much you have watched the Sens this year, but the eye test also says that Anderson has been absolutely god awful. Anderson is currently at a -11.97 goals saved above average through 34 games. That means that he has allowed 12 more goals than a league average goalie would allow against the same shot distribution. That's dead last in the NHL. Among goalies with 20+ games, his low danger SV% is 2nd worst in the league, his medium danger SV% is 5th worst and his high danger SV% is 5th worst.

I'm not just writing off a bad plus minus due to my gut. I'm writing it off because every statistic that actually accounts for quality of shots allowed suggests that his +/- is squarely on the goalie and not on him.

Again, I'm not trying to say he is the same Karlsson. He's absolutely lost a step, but he is still currently playing like a top 20 D man in the league instead of being head and shoulders the best defenseman we've seen in the last 5 years.

Reactions: Alklha

hullderko

Apr 21, 2015
Watched an exciting game between TOR and COL last night, hoping this one will be 20% as entertaining. It's a HOME game boys - wreck them in the first 5 min of the game for once!

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I fully expect the boys to come out flying to start the game. That isn't what I am worried about, I am worried what will happen if Ottawa ends up scoring the first goal. I want to see how they respond to adversity IN GAME.

A lot the of the right things were said now they need to come out and show it.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Watched an exciting game between TOR and COL last night, hoping this one will be 20% as entertaining. It's a HOME game boys - wreck them in the first 5 min of the game for once!

My gut is telling me that this is either going to be a 5-3 or 5-4 game.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Just a minor thing to give everyone a minor smile: The Central might be stacked beyond belief, but the Blackhawks are in last place in the division by 7 points.

Reactions: thedustman

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
sens always beat us at home in a shootout after we blow a lead so expect more of the same

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad