TSN: Senators GM Dorion: 'It’s time to perform'

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
What we’ve tried to do in this rebuild, we knew there’d be some tougher times, but at the same time we want to have a team, when they drop the puck on the first day of the year, that we know we’re going to be in the playoffs and we know can progress to win Cups. These things don’t get done overnight. It was always part of the plan, and how we structured the plan, with the way the game has evolved, that we continued this evolution.

Ottawa Senators GM Pierre Dorion: 'It’s time to perform' after busy off-season - TSN.ca

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What we’ve tried to do in this rebuild, we knew there’d be some tougher times, but at the same time we want to have a team, when they drop the puck on the first day of the year, that we know we’re going to be in the playoffs and we know can progress to win Cups. These things don’t get done overnight. It was always part of the plan, and how we structured the plan, with the way the game has evolved, that we continued this evolution.

Ottawa Senators GM Pierre Dorion: 'It’s time to perform' after busy off-season - TSN.ca
Looks like the mandate came in from the owner.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I am not a big fan of Dorion. I am not a big fan of any Canadian NHL hockey franchise GMs. I believe may be Kyle Dubas gets it, but I doubt it. I think every Canadian NHL hockey franchise and every Canadian team GM is missing a point, what is shaping up the league right now. Two things! Above average points producing players and more time in the offensive zone capable players. In the last five years, that was the modus operandi of every Stanley Cup winner. I believe every time the team spends time in the offensive zone, cycling the puck and waiting for opportunities, should be an official stat. At the end of the period, we should see a break down puck possession time for each team and the offensive zone time. So dimwits like Dorions, would start drafting the right players to increase those stats. The Stanley Cup is not won anymore on defence, not by a long shot, but on the shoulders of players, who can prolong the offensive zone time. It is the new NHL right now. So far, we have only two players in this mold on a team as Stützle and Abramov and nothing else. You wonder why players like Formenton, Batherson, Brown, White and others struggle in NHL? They can not sustain the cycle game, they are just not good enough for that. I wish we would draft Holtz, I really do, he is worth as the puck possession player - two good defensemen. Dorion has to start to understand the new reality of the league and not live in the past as a dinosaur.

Reactions: Samboni

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I am not a big fan of Dorion. I am not a big fan of any Canadian NHL hockey franchise GMs. I believe may be Kyle Dubas gets it, but I doubt it. I think every Canadian NHL hockey franchise and every Canadian team GM is missing a point, what is shaping up the league right now. Two things! Above average points producing players and more time in the offensive zone capable players. In the last five years, that was the modus operandi of every Stanley Cup winner. I believe every time the team spends time in the offensive zone, cycling the puck and waiting for opportunities, should be an official stat. At the end of the period, we should see a break down puck possession time for each team and the offensive zone time. So dimwits like Dorions, would start drafting the right players to increase those stats. The Stanley Cup is not won anymore on defence, not by a long shot, but on the shoulders of players, who can prolong the offensive zone time. It is the new NHL right now. So far, we have only two players in this mold on a team as Stützle and Abramov and nothing else. You wonder why players like Formenton, Batherson, Brown, White and others struggle in NHL? They can not sustain the cycle game, they are just not good enough for that. I wish we would draft Holtz, I really do, he is worth as the puck possession player - two good defensemen. Dorion has to start to understand the new reality of the league and not live in the past as a dinosaur.

I get your point about puck possession being the way of the future but what about the 2020 NHL draft suggests Dorion is not thinking precisely about puck possession and cycle game?

At forward he picked Stutzle, who you concede fits into that. Then he added:

- Greig, a physical two way guy who is known for pressuring the puck;
- Jarventie who apparently has compete questions but who uses his size well to protect the puck and has made many plays on the cycle in the Liiga this year;
and Sokolov who is a giant who has shown to be very effective in the cycle;
the later round forward picks are wildcards but 2/3 are large wingers who could contribute to that.

At defense he picked Sanderson, who is an elite skating, dominant transition defender. Holtz had some of the highest perimeter shooting rates in the SHL according to some sources, I don’t see how that is more conducive to possession than an guy like Sanderson who is known for breaking up plays and taking over possession under control.

I can see an argument for Kleven not being a possession driver, but he’s the type of guy you need to disrupt opposing cycles, particularly with the rest of our defense prospect pool being smaller in NHL terms.

Go back to the 2019 draft, Thomson isn’t developing as hoped but he was drafted as a guy with offensive/possession upside. His shot would certainly be a weapon off of a good cycle.

Pinto and Kastelic are right in the cycle/possession wheelhouse. Guenette is a possession/puck control type.

2018, Tkachuk, JBD and Tychonic as the first picks...

I just don’t see a link between Dorion’s drafting and your complaint. Do you want guys who go about cycling in a flashier way?

Dorion is obviously drafting to build a cycle game, maybe it’s a heavy cycle, like say St. Louis, but a cycle nonetheless. Sure he’s also drafting a lot of guys who have solid defensive acumen, but the future of the offense seems very collective effort and cycle dependent.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Puck possession is probably the most important factor in determining success. High quality puck management skills are required to achieve it. The Senators are lacking high end players, which has been evident the last few years as the team traded its skilled players for picks and prospects. The team will have 2, perhaps 3 high quality puck possession players next season (Chabot, Tkachuk & Stuetzle if he proves to be NHL-ready). The team has a lot of holes to be filled before it becomes a perennial playoff team.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Puck possession is probably the most important factor in determining success. High quality puck management skills are required to achieve it. The Senators are lacking high end players, which has been evident the last few years as the team traded its skilled players for picks and prospects. The team will have 2, perhaps 3 high quality puck possession players next season (Chabot, Tkachuk & Stuetzle if he proves to be NHL-ready). The team has a lot of holes to be filled before it becomes a perennial playoff team.

Possession is also a style of play. There's a preference for big and for fast. Both bode well in playing a possession game

Reactions: Cosmix and Bileur

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I’m tired of seeing them draft safe, bottom 6, “character” players. Top 6, offensive-minded players can be character guys too!

Based on which players?

This was exactly what everyone accused Dorion of when he drafted Pinto, but one year later he is looking like a legitimate top 6 centre with excellent skill both offensively and defensively.

Reactions: Smeddy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’m tired of seeing them draft safe, bottom 6, “character” players. Top 6, offensive-minded players can be character guys too!
They seem to have selected some higher upside players this year, Greig whose 2nd half last season was very offensively productive, Jarventie has high goal scoring potential as does Sokolov. All 3 have much higher offensive potential than they are given credit for. They may not get there but to say they have bottom 6 character guy ceilings is a BS argument.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The correct answer is that you need both high skill and grit come playoff time

the senators of all teams know this. We used to be insanely skilled only to get kicked out of the post season early

Reactions: NyQuil and Bileur

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I get your point about puck possession being the way of the future but what about the 2020 NHL draft suggests Dorion is not thinking precisely about puck possession and cycle game?
At forward he picked Stutzle. Greig, a physical two way guy who is known for pressuring the puck;

For the last four years this board was struggling to understand the strategy behind Dorion's decisions. Absolutely no game plan or the road map to encompass a rout to be a decent hockey club. Dorion drafted Stutzle, because if he did not, he would look like a village idiot, among his peers.
Abramov was just a throw in, no credit there. I do not think Dorion understands what a gem this player is. And how to use him. The same goes for Smith. By drafting Sanderson, he showed again the hokey world, that he is stuck in the old mentality about defence first. When NHL is rapidly becoming a puck possession league. We need a new GM, who understands the new NHL as Steve Yzerman and others like him. Dorion drafted Sokolov and in my opinion Sokolov could be a slightly improved version of Tkachuck. But for players like Sokolov and Tkachuk to be effective and to put up the numbers they should, they have to be surrounded by puck first possession guys we do not have. I love Graig. He is exactly the talent we need. He is not fancy, but he is willing to take the hit and fight along the boards to prolong the puck possession time in the offensive zone. Very high intensity player, who never quits. Jarventie is a big question mark. Looks like a perimeter lazy player. So we have so far in puck fist possession high intensity guys Stutzle, Abramov and Greig. Non of those players are regulars yet. No wonder we can not compete now in the new NHL.

Last edited:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
What I really did not understand during the Dorion's tenure is how Senator's organisation limited the pool of talent for themselves, to exclude Russian born players from drafting, or even European born, concentrating on US college programs most of the time. To limit their chances to draft those high intercity players and puck possession and cycle geniuses like Kucherov.
It was harmful, detrimental and simply put it, incredibly stupid. And Ottawa embedded lap doggy - sport media is really disgusting in our town. I stoped reading them along time ago. Who reads them anyway? Not even a peep to expose this idiocy.

Reactions: DrEasy

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
For the last four years this board was struggling to understand the strategy behind Dorion's decisions. Absolutely no game plan or the road map to encompass a rout to be a decent hockey club. Dorion drafted Stutzle, because if he did not, he would look like a village idiot, among his peers.
Abramov was just a throw in, no credit there. I do not think Dorion understands what a gem this player is. And how to use him. The same goes for Smith. By drafting Sanderson, he showed again the hokey world, that he is stuck in the old mentality about defence first. When NHL is rapidly becoming a puck possession league. We need a new GM, who understands the new NHL as Steve Yzerman and others like him. Dorion drafted Sokolov and in my opinion Sokolov could be a slightly improved version of Tkachuck. But for players like Sokolov and Tkachuk to be effective and to put up the numbers they should, they have to be surrounded by puck first possession guys we do not have. I love Graig. He is exactly the talent we need. He is not fancy, but he is willing to take the hit and fight along the boards to prolong the puck possession time in the offensive zone. Very high intensity player, who never quits. Jarventie is a big question mark. Looks like a perimeter lazy player. So we have so far in puck fist possession high intensity guys Stutzle, Abramov and Greig. Non of those players are regulars yet. No wonder we can not compete now in the new NHL.

Yikes.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I almost guarantee you that Sanderson becomes an advanced stats darling. He's extremely smart and I bet you he becomes our best defenceman in terms of entry/exits and corsi. I also think your analysis of Tkachuk is a bit off. He absolutely drives puck possession, he was our only regular forward last year with a positive corsi.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

That is not how GM's make picks, but you know that already, I hope.

Abramov was just a throw in, no credit there. I do not think Dorion understands what a gem this player is.

And you know this how? If Abramov was the "throw-in", then you think Dorion's target in that trade was only Davidsson and a 1st? So you admit to loving Abramov as a player but somehow have concluded that he was acquired by accident?

By drafting Sanderson, he showed again the hokey world, that he is stuck in the old mentality about defence first. When NHL is rapidly becoming a puck possession league.

Go watch Sanderson play, then come back and try to make this argument with sincerity.

We need a new GM, who understands the new NHL as Steve Yzerman and others like him. Dorion drafted Sokolov and in my opinion Sokolov could be a slightly improved version of Tkachuck

If Sokolov is an "improved" version of Tkachuk then by God, give Dorion G.M of the year award today. Do you realize what you have just implied?

So we have so far in puck fist possession high intensity guys Stutzle, Abramov and Greig. Non of those players are regulars yet. No wonder we can not compete now in the new NHL.

What a calamity that 2 out of 3 players we just drafted 2 months ago are not NHL regulars in a yet to begin regular season.

Some advice:

You should look up the word "contradiction" in the dictionary and then re-read your entire post.

Reactions: WaitingInVain

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Did the owner not recently say this team can compete for a Stanley cup right now? maybe it was playoffs I forget.. anyway .. these kids .. well we have spots for a couple better shine otherwise they can go develop somewhere else. Tough decisions. But we have the guys willing to make them

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Did the owner not recently say this team can compete for a Stanley cup right now? maybe it was playoffs I forget.. anyway .. these kids .. well we have spots for a couple better shine otherwise they can go develop somewhere else. Tough decisions. But we have the guys willing to make them

I think what the owner said was he felt we had the pieces in place to compete for a cup. He didn't imply this season. He was implying the pieces were in place to compete down the road. We'll see how that plays out

He definitely did not imply right now compete for a cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad