GDT: Senators @ Devils 7 PM Because it's on the Schedule three

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The depth forwards stink (Tierney, Nosek, MacDermid) but replacing them with Wood, Boqvist, etc. would have minimal impact on how the season turned out. Losing Dougie is so much bigger of a reason for why we weren’t as good as last year.

This was a possible forward group going into this season:

Haula-Hughes-Bratt
Timo-Nico-Toffoli
Palat-McLeod-Mercer
Nosek-Lazar-Bastian/Holtz

This team lacks speed? This isn’t good depth? I don’t agree at all.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
View attachment 840825

cray-lost-it.gif
No, no, no....

Scarface, the movie, with Al Pacino, notorious for the foul language had a made for TV version where all the bad language was cut or dubbed over....and some of the edits were just hilarious.

One of the edits was Tony Montana being interviewed by like customs or police I don't remember...and the officer said something like "ok tough guy how did you get scare on your face"

And the TV edit was Montana's reply "I got it from eating pineapple, how do you think"

Obviously pineapple wasn't the original line :laugh:

Still one of the funniest things I've seen on tv.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
The depth forwards stink (Tierney, Nosek, MacDermid) but replacing them with Wood, Boqvist, etc. would have minimal impact on how the season turned out. Losing Dougie is so much bigger of a reason for why we weren’t as good as last year.

This was a possible forward group going into this season:

Haula-Hughes-Bratt
Timo-Nico-Toffoli
Palat-McLeod-Mercer
Nosek-Lazar-Bastian/Holtz

This team lacks speed? This isn’t good depth? I don’t agree at all.
yes - that 4th line lacks speed and has no identity. i don’t see that as a net positive.

relying on mcleod as 3C was a flawed strategy for obvious reasons. there was always a risk of this lineup being blown up and no fall back option.

i’m not sure what point you’re trying to prove with this lineup - it’s nowhere near as good as last years and it lacks the speed that made the team so dangerous top to bottom.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bottom 6 is a mess but the bigger problem is the defense.

Young inexperienced players and forwards that aren't all that reliable in their own zone.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
yes - that 4th line lacks speed and has no identity. i don’t see that as a net positive.

relying on mcleod as 3C was a flawed strategy for obvious reasons. there was always a risk of this lineup being blown up and no fall back option.

i’m not sure what point you’re trying to prove with this lineup - it’s nowhere near as good as last years and it lacks the speed that made the team so dangerous top to bottom.
Haula was a fine option for 3C and McLeod is only listed as the 3C in that lineup because he played so ridiculously well. Lazar is plenty speedy and is an “identity” player if there ever was one. He and Bastian are both fine defensive players and Nosek was before his year — he had a role on a record setting Bruins team.

Why was this at all, whatsoever, a risky lineup to ice? How does keeping a middling Boqvist or Wood mitigate any risk?

This forward group is definitely more impressive than last year’s with a full power Timo and Jack. Or are you just that much of a Tomas Tatar fan? Because he’s the main guy of consequence that was lost.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Bottom 6 is a mess but the bigger problem is the defense.

Young inexperienced players and forwards that aren't all that reliable in their own zone.

yeah but experience can only come with time and games played. we have pieces in place and we can’t blow it up. we don’t need a top pairing bandaid, that’s expensive and we have our top pairing for the next decade lined up.

the point about a defensively responsible bottom 6 is good, but i don’t think our current bottom 6 is bad defensively, they’re just slow and top to bottom not coached properly to execute a good defensive system

Haula was a fine option for 3C and McLeod is only listed as the 3C in that lineup because he played so ridiculously well. Lazar is plenty speedy and is an “identity” player if there ever was one. He and Bastian are both fine defensive players and Nosek was before his year — he had a role on a record setting Bruins team.

Why was this at all, whatsoever, a risky lineup to ice? How does keeping a middling Boqvist or Wood mitigate any risk?

This forward group is definitely more impressive than last year’s with a full power Timo and Jack. Or are you just that much of a Tomas Tatar fan? Because he’s the main guy of consequence that was lost.
because mcleod was a question mark to everyone and there’s no depth? holtz penciled on the 4th line? lazar is not that fast. chris tierney was our 3c for a good chunk of the season.

if you’re trying to tell me that the lineup you put up there competes with last years lineup from a speed standpoint i’m going to ask what dispensary you go to because i’d like to try some of whatever you got

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is one of the most pathetic losses of the season. In a season full of many pathetic losses.

The deserve to win o meter on this game was bullshit. We didn’t even score effects them at any point. Shots were 25-20 for them and we trailed almost all night and by multiple goals for about half the game. 6-4 Sens after the 1st period. Just another no-show against a COC team.

These really low shot games are even more frequent since Travis Green shit stain took over.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
if you’re trying to tell me that the lineup you put up there competes with last years lineup from a speed standpoint i’m going to ask what dispensary you go to because i’d like to try some of whatever you got
I wasn’t aware this was a speed skating contest? This was a plenty fast group still. Anyway, the point was that this team lacked depth. I don’t think there is anything to support this. A full season of a Timo alone would offset the losses we had, but unfortunately we had him at 50% for most of the year.

The fill in players weren’t as good. That made an extremely minor difference compared to losing the actual horses that run the team.

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
yeah but experience can only come with time and games played. we have pieces in place and we can’t blow it up. we don’t need a top pairing bandaid, that’s expensive and we have our top pairing for the next decade lined up.

the point about a defensively responsible bottom 6 is good, but i don’t think our current bottom 6 is bad defensively, they’re just slow and top to bottom not coached properly to execute a good defensive system

because mcleod was a question mark to everyone and there’s no depth? holtz penciled on the 4th line? lazar is not that fast. chris tierney was our 3c for a good chunk of the season.

Holtz and Mercer alone make for a bad bottom 6 defensively.

Mercer seems to have lost his way. Holtz needs to just go away.

Lazar, Tierney and Nosek are extra forwards. Those guys shouldn't be regulars in our lineup.

Haula has been crap this season and Palat seems to be just be there... that's it just there in a nondescript way

That's a poop party.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We’ve lost to all of San Jose, Anaheim, Arizona, Columbus, Montreal and now Ottawa just at home. And didn’t even beat Anaheim or Arizona at all.

We also went 0-2-0 against Washington at home. They’re a lottery team masquerading as a bubble team right now. I’m sure due in no small part to getting 6 points from us to our 2.

We did beat Columbus and Montreal both once at home. And we beat Buffalo twice at home and swept Chicago and Seattle. Other than that it’s been pretty pathetic.

And we haven’t beaten enough good teams to write all these losses to horrible teams off.

We’ve went 0-2-1 against Tampa, a Tampa team that isn’t all that impressive this year.

We’ve went 0-3-0 against the Rangers, 0-2-1 against the Canes. And we haven’t even played the Leafs yet. Still 3 meetings to go against them.

Just an absolute BUST of a season.

We’re 2-0-0 against the Islanders so far. I’m thinking that may change today.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
I wasn’t aware this was a speed skating contest? This was a plenty fast group still. Anyway, the point was that this team lacked depth. I don’t think there is anything to support this. A full season of a Timo alone would offset the losses we had, but unfortunately we had him at 50% for most of the year.

The fill in players weren’t as good. That made an extremely minor difference compared to losing the actual horses that run the team.
you’re responding to my initial point that last years team identity was built on being faster than the other team top to bottom and using that speed to forecheck aggressively and suffocate them defensively. so yeah, even if those players are competent and responsible defensively it still changes the makeup of the team. in the context i framed, it is a speed skating contest.

this team is not as fast as last years team. the forecheck disappeared. they went back to the chicken with its head cut off defense. even if they bounce back, they’re not going to look like last years team. they will have to figure out a different way to win, or fill out the bottom 6 with faster/more aggressive players and try to recapture that

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I think you're under estimating how much turnover there has been and what it's done to team speed and chemistry.

Our bottom 6 and defense right now are pretty much completely different from last season. And all of it has been a downgrade defensively in my opinion.

Reactions: Call Me Al

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
you’re responding to my initial point that last years team identity was built on being faster than the other team top to bottom and using that speed to forecheck aggressively and suffocate them defensively. so yeah, even if those players are competent and responsible defensively it still changes the makeup of the team. in the context i framed, it is a speed skating contest.

this team is not as fast as last years team. the forecheck disappeared. they went back to the chicken with its head cut off defense. even if they bounce back, they’re not going to look like last years team. they will have to figure out a different way to win, or fill out the bottom 6 with faster/more aggressive players and try to recapture that
I just don’t really agree at all. The extent to which we couldn’t “get to our game” has little to do with Miles Wood (wasn’t any good, the definition of chicken with its head cut off) or Jesper Boqvist (as mediocre as they come, half the board had no love for this player or any interest in keeping him). It does have to do with losing one of the best offensive and transition defensemen in the sport. That killed our ability to breakout which makes us look much slower.

I’m done pining for last year’s team. The ceiling of this team with a more experienced Luke and Nemec and a healthy Jack and Timo is huge. I don’t care about those depth players. Though we obviously need to and will address the rest of the roster.

Reactions: Devs3cups

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think you're under estimating how much turnover there has been and what it's done to team speed and chemistry.

Our bottom 6 and defense right now are pretty much completely different from last season. And all of it has been a downgrade defensively in my opinion.
The biggest loss of all forwards from last year was McLeod because it happened so suddenly, he was playing at an absurdly high level, and we had no one to fill in that could transport the puck like him. That was a very meaningful “identity” loss with no replacement coming any time soon.

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The biggest loss of all forwards from last year was McLeod because it happened so suddenly, he was playing at an absurdly high level, and we had no one to fill in that could transport the puck like him. That was a very meaningful “identity” loss with no replacement coming any time soon.
I think looks more of a cumulative effect.

Remove Graves, Severson, Wood, Tatar, Sharangovich, Boqvist, Zetterlund and McLeod... that's a tremendous amount of turnover.

Now throw some injuries to key players on top of that...

Forget the quality of the players lost and the replacements for a second....you can't remove 8 players without effecting chemistry.

2 Defensemen and 6 forwards is half of team practically.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought Ottawa looked markedly faster than us last night.
We’ve looked significantly slower all year long.

Obviously we lost one pretty fast guy in you know who, but we had him for over half of the season and we didn’t even look that fast then.

We barely had Luke Hughes last year and he’s one of the fastest and best skaters on the team.

We lost Wood, but he honestly wasn’t as fast last year as he was before the hip injury. Still, he was a lot quicker than Tierney and this year’s Nosek.

I have no clue what’s going on here. We all knew Toffoli was slow and he was.

I’m starting to wonder if not only are we just not as fast, but if we just haven’t played as fast this year either.

I still wonder if a lot of this has to do with the guy running things right now, who’s been apart of the team all year long, wasn’t here last year and his Vancouver teams were horrible and had no rush game at all.

Our rush game has really been compromised. We’ve never looked as explosive as last year, not even in some of our best game. Wish we could get back to that.

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Amen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad