GDT: Semifinals - February 23 - Canada (3) vs Germany (4)

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Has it not been 12 years since we lost?

In other words, you were winning for exactly 4 years instead of the 12 you claim. You were winning from 2010 to 2014, but losing prior to 2010 and losing since 2014. That's 8 losing years out of the 12 you claim to be your victorious reign. :laugh:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
No one could "easily" say that – I'd have to be heavily drunk or drugged to say that. World Championships are obviously inferior compared to the Olympics, let alone a junior tournament. World Cup doesn't exist – I hope you don't consider the 2016 Gimmick Cup a legitimate "World Cup". And of course the Olympics are more significant for an international audience than the play-offs of a domestic league.

Check your geography. My country does take part in best-on-best tournaments. (Again, I trust you're not suggesting the 2016 Gimmick Cup was a "best-on-best tournament".)

I am 100% saying it isn't just a best on best tournament it is by far the best best on best tournament we have.

The teams in the World Hockey Campioships would whip the teams here. The World junior is at least the best (outside of a few Canadians) on best for its age group and the World Cup being the clear best hockey tournament in the world is light years better.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
In other words, you were winning for exactly 4 years instead of the 12 you claim. You were winning from 2010 to 2014, but losing prior to 2010 and losing since 2014. That's 8 losing years out of the 12 you claim to be your victorious reign. :laugh:
I'm confused, how are we losing since 2014?

All I said was we haven't lost a best on best tournament in 12 years, you forgot how to do math and tried to say it hadn't been 12 years and now you're making some other gibberish up.

Anyway, I've had enough of this thread. All I was here to say is that Canadians have nothing to be salty over when it comes to hockey since Turin.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
People need to stop pretending that this tournament proves who the best is in the world.

No need to "pretend" that – it's a fact because it's this year's top international tournament. Everything else is theory and empty boasting. Just like Sweden's best team got beaten by Belarus in 2002, so might Canada's best team get beaten by Germany today. The only way to prove the opposite is to participate. You chose not to participate, so it's a moot point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pouchkine

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No need to "pretend" that – it's a fact because it's this year's top international tournament. Everything else is theory and empty boasting. Just like Sweden's best team got beaten by Belarus in 2006, so might Canada's best team got beaten by Germany today. The only way to prove the opposite is to participate. You chose not to participate, so it's a moot point.

Sweden lost to Belarus in 2002.

Reactions: Faterson

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I'm confused, how are we losing since 2014?

You haven't won any Olympic gold since 2014, have you? And you're not going to, until 2022 at the very least. That's another 8-year gap at a minimum, just like between 2002 and 2010, so your "Golden Olympic Era" was exactly 4 years long. Big deal! (Again, please spare us the references to the 2016 Gimmick Cup.)

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Who talks about the 2016 exhibition games? SERIOUSLY? That's like worst than the nhl all star games.

All those "world cups" are not to be taken more seriously than the Izvestia Cup they had back then in the Soviet Union, that's a more or less friendly home tournament for Canada.

Russia-Germany is the Olympic Final in 2018 that's all that matters.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Disappointing I guess, but this game really shows that Canada’s fall from grace isn’t as big as some people believe.

For Germany, it doesn’t get much better than this. If the NHL went, they’d add Drai and a couple of others. Canada would be completely different. Crosby, McDavid, Stamkos, Scheifele, Seguin, Benn, MacKinnon, Bergeron, Tavares, etc. at forward. It just wouldn’t be fair.

Essentially Canada’s 6th or 7th best team (if that) put up a great fight with Germany’s A team minus their best players.

Hell, take off any two players from the Canadian squad and replace them Crosby and McDavid and that would probably be enough to win.

Hope that this grows the game in Germany. And hopefully we get some real best-on-best in 2022.

Congratulations Germany, will be cheering for you guys to kick some Russian ass.

Reactions: Frannel

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Why would Canadians be salty? We've won every best on best tournament in recent memory.

It's unfortunate that the owners are greedy and won't let NHL players go, makes the tournament almost worthless to a lot of fans. If the Canadians won I would have been happy but honestly I'm more happy that a country like Germany gets to go to the gold medal game, and maybe it will inspire young kids to try hockey.

Canadians have been displaying one of the classic symptoms of saltiness, the ole 'I never really cared to begin with' charade. I don't know why you'd be in this thread pointing out that this was a bunch of Canadian grannies that lost if ya didn't care. Everyone knows the circumstances..the need to keep pointing them out is there because you just want to make absolutely 1000% sure that everyone knows this loss doesn't truly represent Canadian hockey and really it's just an exhibition kind of..it's hurt pride. Everyone following hockey knows this..as it's literally the Canadian response every time you lose.

Ironically in this particular case it's not even disputed by non-Canadians, but some of you can't help yourselves. Because even though it's your 16th strongest possible team or something, it still says Canada on the shirts and in the records. Even though no-one thinks that North American fans in particular (or even fans in general) are as enthused with this as they were with the 'best vs best' tournaments, it's still a big story. It's talked about by people all over, it's on American sports news websites.

People during the Olympics care for a brief moment about all kinds of fringe sports where athletes are anonymous otherwise and hardly make money..simply because it's an opportunity for them to do well for their country and make people proud. So obviously they're gonna pay attention to one of the few sports in these Games that people actually care about otherwise..even if it's not the best players from all countries there. It's still the flag and the anthem and all that when the medals are handed over. And if Canada doesn't want to send its best players then whose fault is that?

So thanks to the NHL's selfishness..Canada's ego has to suffer at least a tiny bit here. And trust me, we all know that Canada typically isn't exactly a boastful country, but you are when it comes to hockey. So of course you'll all tell me how no-one is salty really while at the same time reminding me (as if I needed a reminder) how good Canada have done in the 'real competitions' as defined by Canadians.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
world cup realy realy sucks. Watch it beacuse i love hockey and its fun to see the stars. But its as much prestige as the allstar games. zero. Under 23 is that a joke? European team???? What?? Just makes me angry.
Will never be real until they let countrys play with the best they can muster from anyaleague they want.

congrats Germany!

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Canadians have been displaying one of the classic symptoms of saltiness, the ole 'I never really cared to begin with' charade. I don't know why you'd be in this thread pointing out that this was a bunch of Canadian grannies that lost if ya didn't care. Everyone knows the circumstances..the need to keep pointing them out is there because you just want to make absolutely 1000% sure that everyone knows this loss doesn't truly represent Canadian hockey and really it's just an exhibition kind of..it's hurt pride. Everyone following hockey knows this..as it's literally the Canadian response every time you lose.

Ironically in this particular case it's not even disputed by non-Canadians, but some of you can't help yourselves. Because even though it's your 16th strongest possible team or something, it still says Canada on the shirts and in the records. Even though no-one thinks that North American fans in particular (or even fans in general) are as enthused with this as they were with the 'best vs best' tournaments, it's still a big story. It's talked about by people all over, it's on American sports news websites.

People during the Olympics care for a brief moment about all kinds of fringe sports where athletes are anonymous otherwise and hardly make money..simply because it's an opportunity for them to do well for their country and make people proud. So obviously they're gonna pay attention to one of the few sports in these Games that people actually care about otherwise..even if it's not the best players from all countries there. It's still the flag and the anthem and all that when the medals are handed over. And if Canada doesn't want to send its best players then whose fault is that?

So thanks to the NHL's selfishness..Canada's ego has to suffer at least a tiny bit here. And trust me, we all know that Canada typically isn't exactly a boastful country, but you are when it comes to hockey. So of course you'll all tell me how no-one is salty really while at the same time reminding me (as if I needed a reminder) how good Canada have done in the 'real competitions' as defined by Canadians.
Well there are non-Canadians here trying to claim as much.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
world cup realy realy sucks. Watch it beacuse i love hockey and its fun to see the stars. But its as much prestige as the allstar games. zero. Under 23 is that a joke? European team???? What?? Just makes me angry.
Will never be real until they let countrys play with the best they can muster from anyaleague they want.
And when they will rotate the host country like a real World Cup.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
No need to "pretend" that – it's a fact because it's this year's top international tournament. Everything else is theory and empty boasting. Just like Sweden's best team got beaten by Belarus in 2006, so might Canada's best team get beaten by Germany today. The only way to prove the opposite is to participate. You chose not to participate, so it's a moot point.
Even the IIHF disagrees with you.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Didn't read the rest of your post but this is not a charade. The moment we found out that NHLers wouldn't be going to the Olympics, a lot of us stopped caring. We also recognized that losing didn't mean much because we would be sending basically our 10th best team.

Personally, I was cheering for them but never watched a single game (I would have if the NHL had gone). I was much more disappointed in the women losing gold (and was more salty about that - biased officiating and game ending in a shootout) than I am about bunch of has-beens and never-was' losing to basically Germany's best team (minus a couple of their best players)

EDIT: I read a bit further. This story is NOT big news in Canada. Maybe it would be bigger news if Canada had won, I don't know. What I do know is that this story is buried deep on TSN's website. It's behind talk of the Matthews injury, Karlsson trade rumours, the Brassard trade. . . Heck, it's even behind an NFL trade right now. Once the NHL was officially out, the media pretty well stopped caring about the Olympics.

Reactions: Rob

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Win for the NHL? Not allowing the best players to go... might have helped grow the game in other Countries, as they had more to root for/hope for a championship.

Reactions: Pouchkine

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Win for the NHL? Not allowing the best players to go... might have helped grow the game in other Countries, as they had more to root for/hope for a championship.

Exactly. Disarming the world's top countries made for a more competitive tournament.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The media coverage was everywhere in Canada with Don Cherry in full force each day and front news after each game.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Are medals winners in this olympics benefiting from the exclusion of the top Russian athletes being diminished?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
True. But at the same time the IIHF doesn’t host its own World Cup. I wish they would.
Well at least they do a good job of hosting the Worlds even though it misses some top players it's still much more a real tournament than joke canada or world cups...

Reactions: robertmac43

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Huge congrats for Germany. Very unimpressed with the roster Team Canada assembled. I feel embarrassed

Reactions: Rob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad