GDT: Semifinals - February 23 - Canada (3) vs Germany (4)

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You don't see a difference between a handful of players and the entire top league in the entire world?

It's the equivalent of a World Cup without any players from the EPL, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga.
Please I never compared 1998 to 2018, I'm just saying that the famous "best on best" thing is a myth of revisionist history. Especially when those so call best on best are 90% on Canada's home ice with their crowds referees small ice...

Even for instance in 1972 the World Champions Czechs were not there, Canada missed Orr their best player and Hull...the Soviets missed their top coach + Firsov and Kharlamov for 2 key games.

1976 the Soviets sent a B team so that was like a World championship of the time. Worlds= All the best teams but Canada. Canada Cup 1976 all the best but Soviets...

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Hmmm, nothing really here in Manitoba. Very odd. Actually, I've found TSN's coverage of the Olympics in general (not just hockey) to be rather lacklustre. I keep seeing constant stories on Karlsson being traded though. But that could just be me.
CBC is the main broadcaster in Canada, not TSN. TSN and SNET have shown a fair bit themselves, but they also have other things they need to show like NHL hockey, NBA basketball, ect. CBC has had the Olympics on their channel almost exclusively for 2 straight weeks. Because you've been on the wrong channel doesn't mean the average hasn't been there.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
1998 Nagano could be argued that Russia had a A- or B+ team...That was their fault though but still...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Especially when those so call best on best are 90% on Canada's home ice with their crowds referees small ice...

That's what was so great about the Olympics post 1998.

Europe had the World Championships, we had the Canada Cups and World Cups, and the Olympics were agreed-upon by everyone.

Anyway, this isn't a new discussion.

Germany is a worthy finalist for this tournament and I'm sure there's a lot of excitement there. They won't take it for granted.

Reactions: Jablkon

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I am 100% saying it isn't just a best on best tournament it is by far the best best on best tournament we have.

:eek: The 2016 Gimmick Cup? Really? Are you redefining words of the English language now, or what is it? How can you, or anyone, possibly call that pre-season exhibition farce a "best-on-best" tournament? Not even Canada and the US were allowed to participate with their best line-ups, so what in the world are you talking about?

Reactions: stampedingviking

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I got up at 4am to watch the quarters and semis, and on work days, so might as well wake up for the bronze game on a Saturday morning.

I feel that, the commitment has been here all tournament might as well stick it out.

Not feeling that Gold or bust mentality? Thats what im trying to work around at the moment.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
That's what was so great about the Olympics post 1998.

Europe had the World Championships, we had the Canada Cups and World Cups, and the Olympics were agreed-upon by everyone.

Anyway, this isn't a new discussion.

Germany is a worthy finalist for this tournament and I'm sure there's a lot of excitement there. They won't take it for granted.
What wasn't so great was that then the dump and chase and trapping systems were introduced in the game. That made for less intresting hockey and that old Soviet system and great Russian teams were a thing of the past so the main hockey rivalry and main hockey greatness was mostly done.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
CBC is the main broadcaster in Canada, not TSN. TSN and SNET have shown a fair bit themselves, but they also have other things they need to show like NHL hockey, NBA basketball, ect. CBC has had the Olympics on their channel almost exclusively for 2 straight weeks. Because you've been on the wrong channel doesn't mean the average hasn't been there.

Okay, so what's the argument here? That Canadians do care, or don't care about men's hockey at the Olympics? Or is the argument that the coverage of hockey has been the same as past Olympics despite the lack of NHL players?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Okay, so what's the argument here? That Canadians do care, or don't care about men's hockey at the Olympics? Or is the argument that the coverage of hockey has been the same as past Olympics despite the lack of NHL players?
The "argument" if you want to even call it that is the reason you found TSN's Olympic coverage lacklustre is because they are not the primary channel for the Olympics. CBC is, has had the bulk of the coverage and promotion, while TSN has been a secondary stations (including TSN2 at times) for when there are multiple events on worth airing.

Had nothing to do with the interest in hockey, just responding to your one post I quoted to hopefully clear things up for you. To answer your question; Canadians do care about Olympic Hockey, but less so without the best possible players playing, and overall the hype and coverage of the Men's Hockey games specifically has been less than the previous 4 or 5 tournaments.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
If Canada would have won those great finals in 1992 or 1994 for sure the country would have been ecstatic even though it wasn't all the best...

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
It means exactly what you said. In 2018 it's the best hockey national team in the world. Any arguments against it? All whines about best on best leave for your kitchen talks. Come next Games with your best squad and check how far you go. If you don't come, we don't care. Continue listing yout z, q, c and other teams on paper.
Though I care for this Olympic hockey tournament, which ever team wins the gold medal at these Olympics is not enough to convince me that said team is the best in the world simply because this is not a high caliber tournament with top notch talent. If you Russians want to believe this tournament is the ultimate test, good for you but I doubt even other Europeans would believe that. Care, sure. Important, sure. The ultimate evaluation of hockey supremacy? Heck no. If Germany wins, you're going to tell me you're truly going to believe they're the undisputed best hockey national team in the world? Come on, let's not kid ourselves. If Germany wins, I'd still think Russia is the superior hockey nation. Germany is in the finale because the top talents in the world are not there. Heck, the World Championships have more talented players participating than in these Olympics.

If Canada would have won those great finals in 1992 or 1994 for sure the country would have been ecstatic even though it wasn't all the best...
No we would not. Canadians have always put more importance on what it deems as best-on-best tournaments over any other format, Olympics or not. Whatever you Russians think is important only apply to you, it doesn't apply to us and vice versa.

Last edited:

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Were you there? Everyone I knew watched the games with lots of passion. At the time I was playing youth hockey and everyone was talking about those games.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Though I care for this Olympic hockey tournament, which ever team wins the gold medal at these Olympics is not enough to convince me that said team is the best in the world simply because this is not a high caliber tournament with top notch talent. If you Russians want to believe this tournament is the ultimate test, good for you but I doubt even other Europeans would believe that. Care, sure. Important, sure. The ultimate evaluation of hockey supremacy? Heck no. If Germany wins, you're going to tell me you're truly going to believe they're the undisputed best hockey national team in the world? Come on, let's not kid ourselves. If Germany wins, I'd still think Russia is the superior hockey nation. Germany is in the finale because the top talents in the world are not there. Heck, the World Championships have more talented players participating than in these Olympics.

No we would not. Canadians have always put more importance on what it deems as best-on-best tournaments over any other format, Olympics or not. Whatever you Russians think is important only apply to you, it doesn't apply to us and vice versa.
I'm Canadian and I can assure you people would have absolutely loved it. And the joke thing about best on best is that it's a myth of revisionist history people back then didn't think like that at all.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I'm Canadian and I can assure you people would have absolutely loved it. And the joke thing about best on best is that it's a myth of revisionist history people back then didn't think like that at all.
I'm Canadian too and I think you're delusional. I'm no millennial, I watched the 1994 game and while many Canadians would have been happy if we had won, it wasn't as important to the point of celebrating the win on the street. Best on best is not a myth. If every participating country can choose whoever of it citizens it wants within the rules, that's best on best. It doesn't take a genius to understand such simple concept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->