GDT: Semifinals - February 23 - Canada (3) vs Germany (4)

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
The Boston Globe on Marco Sturm. We still love Sturmy.

Former Bruin Marco Sturm could parlay Olympic success into NHL gig - The Boston Globe

915954448.jpg

sturm-winner.jpg

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Should be a walk in the park anytime Canada plays Germany but looking at that roster (especially the D) and who knows what could happen.

Unlike the US we don't suck and unlike Sweden we don't tend to choke so I expect a win but I haven't watched any of the games so far so i am going off the fact i can't see anyway in which Germany can beat Canada at hockey.

3-1 Canada, hope they win as they seem to have some good guys (Raymond, Brule, Kozun, Vey) that deserve a medal.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Should be a walk in the park anytime Canada plays Germany but looking at that roster (especially the D) and who knows what could happen.

Unlike the US we don't suck and unlike Sweden we don't tend to choke so I expect a win but I haven't watched any of the games so far so i am going off the fact i can't see anyway in which Germany can beat Canada at hockey.

3-1 Canada, hope they win as they seem to have some good guys (Raymond, Brule, Kozun, Vey) that deserve a medal.
Canada have had hard times beating Germany many times at the Olympics and Worlds.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I wonder... will kids in german schools watch this game?
It's a 1 pm game... so, probably not a ton of them, still being in school and whatnot. The final would be a 5 a.m. game, as well - that's something I've already thought about - from a PR standpoint, these really are the least ideal games to have such a success story, because these games haven't been too visible, unfortunately. There's still some hype, so we'll take anything we get out of this. But honestly, I don't really view it as that classic "great opportunity for German hockey to change for the better", I mostly think this is a rare thing for existing German fans to enjoy. Anything else is a bonus.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
It's a 1 pm game... so, probably not a ton of them, still being in school and whatnot. The final would be a 5 a.m. game, as well - that's something I've already thought about - from a PR standpoint, these really are the least ideal games to have such a success story, because these games haven't been too visible, unfortunately. There's still some hype, so we'll take anything we get out of this. But honestly, I don't really view it as that classic "great opportunity for German hockey to change for the better", I mostly think this is a rare thing for existing German fans to enjoy. Anything else is a bonus.
The thing is that alot of kids in Czech republic will watch the semifinals in school, together. I remember that when I was a kid Slovakia played Sweden in QF and we watched the game in school :D So my point is whether this "special opportunity" gets more attention in Germany

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
The thing is that alot of kids in Czech republic will watch the semifinals in school, together. I remember that when I was a kid Slovakia played Sweden in QF and we watched the game in school :D So my point is whether this "special opportunity" gets more attention in Germany
Ah, I see. :D Well, I'm sure some teachers will get the idea and do that. I don't think it's going to be too many, though. A know a couple of guys who are teachers and who probably would, but one of them is on parental leave, but the other just might. :)

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I wonder... will kids in german schools watch this game?
No. Perhaps somewhere but not on a big scale. That doesn't even happen in footy unless it's finals (only in some places). I remember a day in 2006 when my university classes were cancelled because of a Germany match.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No. Perhaps somewhere but not on a big scale. That doesn't even happen in footy unless it's finals (only in some places). I remember a day in 2006 when my university classes were cancelled because of a Germany match.

The game against Sweden aparently had 3.5 Million viewers on German Television . So potential interest of viewers is there.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I dunno... Go Canada.

Winning this particular tournament would probably do more for, and be more meaningful to "German hockey" than it would be to "Canadian hockey", and hockey being more relevant in Germany and Germany being more relevant in hockey would be a good thing for the sport in general... So go Germany too.:dunno:

Reactions: Frannel and bukwas

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
The game against Sweden aparently had 3.5 Million viewers on German Television . So potential interest of viewers is there.

Well yeah, there will be a few million watching it, but likely no school will allow watching it - unlike if it was a soccer WC semifinal at the same time. Back in 2002 we were allowed to watch a Germany group stage game during classes and the soccer "hype" has only grown since. And just for comparison, the WC semifinal in 2014 had 32M viewers, and that's not counting all the people at public showings of the match.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Oh, there are viewers, I just doubt that classes will be cancelled because of the game. I really don't know for sure, since my school days are long gone. There just isn't the hype.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Oh, there are viewers, I just doubt that classes will be cancelled because of the game. I really don't know for sure, since my school days are long gone. There just isn't the hype.
Zero chance classes will be cancelled for this. For most Germans hockey isn't more important than figure skating or curling for example. Just one of many olympic events.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Well yeah, there will be a few million watching it, but likely no school will allow watching it - unlike if it was a soccer WC semifinal at the same time. Back in 2002 we were allowed to watch a Germany group stage game during classes and the soccer "hype" has only grown since. And just for comparison, the WC semifinal in 2014 had 32M viewers, and that's not counting all the people at public showings of the match.

Zero chance classes will be cancelled for this. For most Germans hockey isn't more important than figure skating or curling for example. Just one of many olympic events.

I mean of course there won't be canceled classes even in football thats really rare . I was alsostill in school in 2002 . Now i don't know if anything got canceled but i remember watching it. I don't think our school was canceled but it might've since the game started 12:30 German Time. Unless i had the day off anyway. Which might be possible since it was 25th of June. ( yes i looked that all up )

Edit : looked it up School was already off for the summer where i lived back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frannel

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
How are ppl gonna watch this at 7am.... Actually wanted to watch this game

Me. On vacay but woke up early for it.

Embracing this disrespected team to keep the stresk going.

Let's go get it, boys!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad