GDT: Semifinal • Jan. 3 • Sweden 3, Russia 4 (SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayuri

Dec 30, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Are you serious?

Of course I'm serious. When has the Canadian team ever stated that they though Sweden would be an easy game?

As an Oiler fan I was disappointed to see that last shot hit the post. Overall I thought it was one of the more exciting games of the tourney.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
So we fail, despite having played great in the group games, again. This has happened for 4 consecutive years. Sweden does NOT need better players, Sweden needs a shrink.

Svinet

May 20, 2010
That's what Sweden gets for talking big after winning a round robin game.
You mean saying that they had a harder time against Russia?
It was correct and this game if anything confirmed it.

GG Russia, you weren't that good but Sweden was worse so all in all i can't say it was that undeserved.

Good luck in the Finals because you gonna need it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's what Sweden gets for talking big after winning a round robin game.

Bingo Karma kicks ya right in the butt. I have watched most of the games in this tournament and there is no doubt in my mind that Sweden is the best team in this tournament. However your never gonna get the bounces when you show such little respect to your opponents. It was obvious to me the way Sweden came out they thought they would just walk all over the Russians and were looking forward to the finals.

Yes that was a blown call but Lehner still has to be aware.... I am a sens fan but man Lehner looks mentally fragile. He has so much talent but eee yikes I hope he can work on his mental game.

Also how is Cehlin not a shooter?....

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Oh yeah And last year when the Canadians started crying like babies after the gold loss against the Americans ...Wow. Almost erotic. Lets see it happening again! What dirty tricks will you guys pull on this time?

Please enlighten me. What dirty tricks did Canada play last year?

And what Canadians cried?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
One thing I love about the International boards when Sweden loses is that the Canadian(and ONLY Canadian) trolls come out in full force, perfect time to build the ignore list. Even a mod trolling after a game Canada didn't even play, un freaking believable.
This. I'm building a decent list here. Pretty funny, because the tone between Swedish and Russian fans is pretty relaxed.

And yeah, it gets pretty embarrassing when even a mod feels the need to throw a tantrum.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
So we fail, despite having played great in the group games, again. This has happened for 4 consecutive years. Sweden does NOT need better players, Sweden needs a shrink.

They have one. Unfortunately he has a black belt in judo, not "shrinking".

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
Congrats Russia!! Sweden played horrible in the 1st and the 2nd. We did not deserve the win.

The only thing that bugs me is that Russia some how feels underserving. I know they made it all the way here, won the important games, and so on. But its just this nagging feeling i have.

Too bad it has to be decided in a shootout though.

Djurgardsjavel

Oct 29, 2010
Valhalla
Do your worst in the finals Russia.

I've got a few words for you, Niklas Wikegård. You ********** *********. Gabriel Landeskog was not missed at all, as you so boldly stated on national tv? God I hate you, you stuck up f-ing loser, armchair-coach, never amounted to much, piece of *hit.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Oh yeah And last year when the Canadians started crying like babies after the gold loss against the Americans ...Wow. Almost erotic. Lets see it happening again! What dirty tricks will you guys pull on this time?

you never know. Dont tell canadiens though, they just doesnt see it that way. I lived here for a while and hockey is just like religion, and when youre religious you are blind!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You mean saying that they had a harder time against Russia?
It was correct and this game if anything confirmed it.

GG Russia, you weren't that good but Sweden was worse so all in all i can't say it was that undeserved.

Good luck in the Finals because you gonna need it.

Even if team Sweden felt that way you dont talk like that unnecessarily....

Sher-Wood

May 12, 2003
Sweden
What do you know. The russian players giving the swedish players the finger after the shootout. Very classy...

Hart_House_Ca

Feb 21, 2004
Russian Coach interviews on TSN and says that, "Canada was a much better test for Russia than Sweden".

SidGenoMario

Apr 10, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
This. I'm building a decent list here. Pretty funny, because the tone between Swedish and Russian fans is pretty relaxed.

And yeah, it gets pretty embarrassing when even a mod feels the need to throw a tantrum.

I saw you complain about Canada trolls earlier. Where are these trolls, because I don't see anyone. Just a bunch of people talking about how the shootout sucks and people congratulating each other.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Oh? If you remove that goal, this one ends at 3-2 Sweden after sixty minutes.

If there is no controversial icing wave-off, maybe the refs don't try to make it up to Sweden with a questionable slashing call that Sweden scores its 3rd goal on. Point is, a lot of what ifs. At the end of the day you have to give credit to Russia's core players as they rose to the occasion moreso than Sweden's core group (though Larsson was deadly).

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
Wow, you ought to be a Joker. Even your announcers, coaches, fans - hell EVERYONE even with the slightest affiliation with Canada trash talks before games. I bet even those canadianized Siberian Huskies you got howls with a sense of cockiness. That is one of your special features as a Hockey Nation - true story. And you always seem to be victimizing yourself after loosing. :shakehead

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
How do you figure? Without it we would've won 3-2?

Anyway; Sweden didn't come to play in the first two periods, that's what lost us the game. Nerves mustve gotten to them, that's the only thing I can think of. We didn't play anywhere close to what we've done previously.... and we still had 20 more shots than the Russians, along with 2 shots in the wood...and another one in the shootout.

Regardless; congrats Russia - you'll get destroyed in the finals though, there's no way you'll have any legs to play another game into overtime.:)

You've gone from one of the most annoying posters to one of the better ones.:handclap:

Sorry for your loss today. I really thought you would beat Russia.

Fulcrum

Great game by Russia! Fought until the end!! :D

Respect to the Swedes, they played great. As a Russian fan, I know what it feels like- think Russia 2009 semis. I hope the Swedish fans don't blame the team for loosing in a Shootout. It's almost a total Lottery.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Very surprised by this game. Russia showed a lot of heart and determination in fighting back last night and then playing an early game today against a tough opponent. Not usually a fan of them, but I like what I see from this Russian squad. Tough to see such a good team in Sweden go down in a shootout. Was hoping to see them in the final if Canada can make it there. If Canada does win gold, it won't feel quite right for not having beaten Sweden. At the same time, after the comments their coach made I can't help but feel like they had it coming.

Crazy to think the bronze medal game could easily be Can v Swe and one would come away without a medal.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Gutsy effort by Russia on 15 hours rest.

Tough loss for Sweden. I'm sure a lot of them thought this was going to be their year.

Also: I would have preferred to see a 5 minute 4 on 4, 5 minute 3 on 3, 5 minute 2 on 2, then a 1 on 1 until it ended.

Frank Bascombe

Apr 28, 2010
One thing I love about the International boards when Sweden loses is that the Canadian(and ONLY Canadian) trolls come out in full force, perfect time to build the ignore list. Even a mod trolling after a game Canada didn't even play, un freaking believable.

Kudos however to the Canadians that come here in peace and actually comment the game, I'm making sure to give you a +1 in my books aswell :)

A trolling mod is almost as bad as Mussolini. We have no power.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Gotta feel for the Swedes...they carried the play most of the game. Having said that, give credit to the Russians. They were playing their 2nd game in less then 24 hours and you could tell that they were tired in the 3rd and overtime. Anyways, congrats to the Russians, and better luck next year to the Swedes. It always sucks when you lose your first game in elimination rounds...For what its worth (I haven't watched the US team though), I thought you guys had the best team of the tournament, and this coming from a Canadian.

We'll see what happens with Team Canada tonight..we're gonna have our hands full and then some!

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Tarasenko was very humble there, good luck to him in the finals. Definitely the player that has impressed me the most this tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad