WJC: Semi final talk

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I see what you are doing there. I think more like 17-2 if the USA will only use 2 lines. If 4, then it's more like 37-2 because we usually really suck in these kinds of games, especially when we have a mediocre team on paper who didn't perform well in the round robin. Wait, we have always a mediocre team on paper who didn't perform well in the round robin...
But USA destroyed Slovakia 10-2 and Finland played a very even game against Slovakia.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Finland is such a bizarre country. 3 golds, 1 silver, 1 bronze and 12 no medals since 2007. They’re an all or nothing kind of country in this thing.

Population of Winland's biggest hockey rivals:
  1. USA: over 331 million
  2. Russia: over 145 million
  3. Germany: approx. 83 million
  4. Canada: over 38 million
  5. Czech Republic: approx. 10.7 million
  6. Sweden: approx. 10.4 million
  7. Switzerland: approx. 8.6 million

(Finland: approx. 5.5 million)

Last edited:
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Jimmie Ericsson didn’t play center. Iirc, Patrik Berglund centered D. Sedin, and Backlund was on the 2nd line.

2014 was a huge “what if” for Sweden and a massive disappointment because of it, but this rehashing of yesterday’s news and whining about missing players on different teams is beyond pathetic. Shut it down.
Huh? Backlund was not even on the team. How is getting silver with many players gone in a best on best tournament a "massive disappointment" ? we had a great tournament.

Population of Winland's biggest hockey rivals:
  1. USA: over 331 million
  2. Russia: over 145 million
  3. Germany: approx. 83 million
  4. Canada: over 38 million
  5. Czech Republic: approx. 10.7 million
  6. Sweden: approx. 10.4 million
  7. Switzerland: approx. 8.6 million

(Finland: approx. 5.5 million)
Yes but Hockey is nr 1 sport in Finland, its only in Canada and Finland its nr 1 sport

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
My predictions:

Jere Lassila has another big performance (cementing himself as tournament MVP) and FIN beats the USA.

Hrabal has another great game but this time it won't be quite enough to get the win and SWE beats CZE.

Sweden vs Finland final.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Finland's defense is very weak and their goaltending is shaky. USA has a lot of offensive talent. I think USA-Finland game is going to be a blowout. 7-2 USA
If the semifinal vs USA turns to skating and goal-scoring competition then we'll get big ass-kicking.
Do i think Finland has chance to win? Yes. Is it possible or likely? probably no.
But never say never.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
What about a surprising final matchup: CZE-FIN - history needs a new GWG game pair, can't go on with the same olds all the time :)

On another subject, that really annoys me: semifinal winners and losers have to play their final game back-to-back - why is there not a rest day before the medal games?

Less than 20 hrs rest for the 2nd semifinal participants, wtf?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What about a surprising final matchup: CZE-FIN - history needs a new GWG game pair, can't go on with the same olds all the time :)

On another subject, that really annoys me: semifinal winners and losers have to play their final game back-to-back - why is there not a rest day before the medal games?

I thought the same thing. Spengler is even worse! That gold medal game is even closer in time to semis.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah it would be nice if medal games were on the Saturday. I’m not sure why they don’t do it like tennis where the semis are Saturday and finals on Sunday

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah it would be nice if medal games were on the Saturday. I’m not sure why they don’t do it like tennis where the semis are Saturday and finals on Sunday
Midweek 9am game one after another... Brutal. Skodas aren't like this... 1030 and 2 starts. Finals on a the weekend.

Tuesday at 9am... Thursday at 9am and Friday at 9am ... That's 3pm in Europe.. who is watching these games?lol

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
IIHF - Power Rankings

Iihf journalist is drunk
As somebody that's written weekly power rankings for a league, I can explain this. You don't want them to be the same every time you write them. There needs to be some movement, and also remember that these aren't prognostications on who will win. Dethroning Canada gave Czechia the biggest "bump" so to speak, so they get top spot. Does that make sense?

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
Predictions purely based on vibes:

Czechia is a team on a mission right now. They beat Sweden 3-2 in OT

Feels like Finland always eliminates USA when USA is expected to win. They beat USA 5-4 in regulation

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Huh? Backlund was not even on the team. How is getting silver with many players gone in a best on best tournament a "massive disappointment" ? we had a great tournament.

You’re right, my bad, Backlund wasn’t there. Not sure who the centers were besides Berglund and Krüger then.

It was a massive disappointment that a few weeks prior to the Olympics Sweden was looking stacked at center, and come the finals Patrik Berglund was centering the first line.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I'm hoping for respectful conversation here in HFBoards during the semis just like it has surprisingly been so far on this forum in my opinion this year.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Czechia has faced Finland as many times in a GMG as Sweden has faced Finland or the US in a GMG.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Czechia has faced Finland as many times in a GMG as Sweden has faced Finland or the US in a GMG.
Czechia and Finland have faced each others in U20 WJC gold medal only once and it was 2001.
Finland lost that game in overtime but i don't see Finland advancing to U20 WJC gold medal game this year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm hoping for respectful conversation here in HFBoards during the semis just like it has surprisingly been so far on this forum in my opinion this year.

There’s a bunch of regular posters who are here for every international tournament and then there’s the folks who only pop in after their team wins or another team loses to talk crap.

Just ignore the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca