WC: Semi Final pre game talk

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
He still has his flashes - particularly when Finland is not playing and he is interested in the game, then he can just comment without tricks with his high speed and wide vocabulary. Sadly, his Finland matches have mostly become routine circus performances.

He's not as good as he was when he was younger, but his old merits and tradition make it up to me. As long as he announces the game, something that I trust stays unchanged in this world!

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
00.jpg

Hehe, I was on a mission in the Balkans back then. It was only celebrating drunk Finns around the TV set. It was nice to talk a walk outside if I put it that way.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He still has his flashes - particularly when Finland is not playing and he is interested in the game, then he can just comment without tricks with his high speed and wide vocabulary. Sadly, his Finland matches have mostly become routine circus performances.

Some flashes, sure, but back then he at least in my opinion had many very funny jokes out of the blue and funny, silly saying that didn't feel forced and were just actually hilarious, at least to me.

Nowadays it's just very unfunny and seems forced and too repetitive. I still prefer him over Saukkonen but then again, I prefer turning the TV on mute over Saukkonen.

Well, this weekend will be the first time I'll actually watch the games with Mertsi commentary so let's hope it's not as bad as it was last year.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Vesa Rantanen from Ilta-Sanomat realizing Landeskog is not the second coming of Peter Forsberg.
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/tre-kronor/langre-och-langrefran-foppa-figuren/

Well, he is right Landeskog is not the second coming of Forsberg but he is for sure much better than a majority of the Finnish players. Would love Landeskog to score a few tomorrow and he is perfect in physical games if the Finns is going in this direction.

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
Tiny Myllys with his tiny pads and shaky technique... :help::laugh: If something goaltending has witnessed a radical evlution called revolution during the years coming from those golden times to the present.

Yes, Jarmo was quite tiny...but he was still the best. :handclap:

And I don't know what you mean with shaky technique, his technique was flawless.

AussieDave27

Aug 4, 2014
Wait... Canada-Russia is 15.15 and Sweden-Finland 19.15? I thought that it is the opposite.

Yes. Canada is the highest ranking team so their prize is playing in the earlier game, so they can potentially have more rest before the final.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Yes, Jarmo was quite tiny...but he was still the best. :handclap:

And I don't know what you mean with shaky technique, his technique was flawless.

His technique - well a combination of his tiny stature and the related restless mobility and the equipment and general "erratic" goal tending techniques of the era -- quite a shaky impression. - Suprising how primitive and funny that area of the game looked still in the mid 90's; not much better than during the 80's and guys like Grant Fuhr (sp?) or something... Strange and hilarious. Nowadays, goalies look like pros compared to those guys which is not their fault but damn hah!

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I hope for Russia vs. Sweden, because I think we could take Sweden :). But who knows, we'll see what'll happen.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Vesa Rantanen from Ilta-Sanomat realizing Landeskog is not the second coming of Peter Forsberg.
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey/tre-kronor/langre-och-langrefran-foppa-figuren/

Well, he is right Landeskog is not the second coming of Forsberg but he is for sure much better than a majority of the Finnish players. Would love Landeskog to score a few tomorrow and he is perfect in physical games if the Finns is going in this direction.

Let us not forget that if it came to happen that one of our press guys went on to insult you guys in a way that you felt that a physical beating of the culprit is the only appropriate form of corrective measure, we in the Finnish audiences would intervene only in way of clapping the pace whilst you guys proceeded to do it.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Let us not forget that if it came to happen that one of our press guys went on to insult you guys in a way that you felt that a physical beating of the culprit is the only appropriate form of corrective measure, we in the Finnish audiences would intervene only in way of clapping the pace whilst you guys proceeded to do it.

Seems as the Swedish coach has forbidden physicality. Our D-men are letting forwards pass by all to easily.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I hope for Russia vs. Sweden, because I think we could take Sweden :). But who knows, we'll see what'll happen.

Well, Russia would probably be an easier opponent for Sweden too but facing Canada would be more fun. I love Sweden playing Canada, my favorite hockey games since a kid, the pace, the intensity, the hits, the offensive game, everything. Russia's more closed tactical counter attack hockey, relying on the rushes is a bit defensive/boring and also very, very frustrating.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Seems as the Swedish coach has forbidden physicality. Our D-men are letting forwards pass by all to easily.

peter-popovic-pk-2-1024x576.jpg

his nickname in nhl was "the gentle giant".

give me marcus ragnarsson or ulf samuelsson instead of popovic and i will be a happy man.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
peter-popovic-pk-2-1024x576.jpg

his nickname in nhl was "the gentle giant".

give me marcus ragnarsson or ulf samuelsson instead of popovic and i will be a happy man.

He must see it himself, he has a D-squad which is elite by any standards, still all and sundry just fly by them and it become a Chinese fire-drill around the crease. If he is so wedded to his ideas that reality has no impact on him then he has nothing to do in any leadership position (not only sports).

Direflash

May 19, 2016
I am sure Sweden will gona come harder against us than USA. Thay will have more discipline and not that much of a John Rambo soloing against us tomorrow. So I think we have to step up the pace and invidual effort to win that one if we want to go in to the finals.

Rus vs Can is a tough one. I would say Canada edges this one but, Team Russia is always dangerous if they get their game going like they want it to.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Who ever wins in RUS-CAN matchup wins the tournament. I don't see upsets this time for the gold. That four hours of more rest is bigger advantage than people think. Talking about the start times of the two semifinal games.

Sweden should beat Finland with that roster but Sweden's coach isn't very good so Finland has a small chance to surprise them. Hilarious if it happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad