GDT: Semi-final • Jan. 3 • Canada vs. Russia • 9 PM ET ‎- II

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickpeterson

Sep 30, 2011
HF
People laughed when I said Canada would be fighting to get even a medal. Thats what happens when you don't invite Malcom Subban and Stuart Percy to the camp along others who should have been there and cutting Ryan Murphy was their dumbest decision.

Every year they make horrible selections that kill them. Last year was Ryan Murphy and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Totally agree with you. I knew they would be fighting for a medal becuase for the first time, Canada does not have that one superstar player to take them over the top. Russia has Yakupov, Kuztenov, and even Grigorenko, Sweden has Forsberg and Zabinejad, Finland has Granlund. Last year Canada had Schenn, the year before Hall, Eberle and Kadri, the year before Tavares. This year, Canada has a bad goalie, and that one forward who can totally take over a game. Those two combonations equal = Failure.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Ryan Murphy : Cool story, bro.

When Kuznetsov and Yakupov turn it on it really isn't fair. Gusev-Grigorenko-Kucherov were that close to collaborating for the goal of the tournament. What a joy these guys are to watch.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Yep, Canada should still be able to win this tournament, but the team he picked was lulzy.

Yes, down 5-1 against Russia with 1 period left, it's NOW TIME TO JUDGE!

Bunch of armchair idiots who probably couldn't even name people left off the team that would have made a difference.

The Canadians are playing stupid, sticks are all over the place, they're taking stupid penalties and some of them are incredibly selfish.

That's not all on the coach. There's no way Canada wins, oh well good job - Russia deserves it.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
No one in here deserves to **** talk Huberdeau for losing his cool, you aren't on the ice and what he did WASN'T egregious.

It was enough to get him booted from the game.

Not their fault that the team play poorly, and takes stupid penalties that are costing them the game.

Gotta agree here. I'll admit that the reffing hasn't been great, but Canada hasn't been doing themselves any favours with their undisciplined play. I honestly think Hay is better than Desjardains and Cameron, but the team is just too undisciplined and I think he's doing all he can to try and control them.

Third period, here we go.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Normally, I'd cheer for Canada, but their fans' behavior (with respect to the US) really turned me off this year. So, go Russia!

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Don Hay picked this team...and clearly it doesn't have the effort to win the game

very questionable picks before the tournament started and now its coming back to bite him in the butt

All day on here all I heard was blow out for Canada and why were you not posting this yesterday when they were 4-0,,??? :laugh:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Somebody fly Pierre mcquire QUICK to Calgary. Let him do a monster intermission speech. And Canada WILL win. 100%

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm really embarrassed by these guys tonight. Instead of shaking off an unfortunate start, they implode and start acting like undisciplined emo kids.

The fans in the 'Dome are equally as embarrassing. I don't like some of the dives, but Team Canada has deserved all the penalties they've gotten.

The Russians usual soft spot is goal and it's obvious they have it locked up.

I just hope to God that Team Canada show some class and do not goon it up in the 3rd. Well deserved lead for Team Russia. Good luck to them against the Swedes.
Not to be the sender of bad news.. but the Russians aren't playing the Swedes.

Bojovnik

Feb 11, 2007
England
IIHF Rule 538:

b) A player who spears an opponent shall be assessed,at the discretion of the Referee, a:
➤ Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5’+GM)
or
➤ Match penalty (MP)

It doesn't matter whether or not it was a love tap, by the letter of the law, ANY spear is a 5+game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, that 3-1 was a killer.

Also, Strome and Huberdeau missing Stone passes for empty nets in rapid succession.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
WTF--the Russian tripped over Harrington's skate and fell into the goalie.

Stay classy.

then tell the said rusky that you say "tripped" to watch where he is going..afterall he needs to be in control........

Judrix

Teuvo is Kane's son
Feb 24, 2010
Chicago
either tons of yelling going around in the locker room of Canada, or it is dead silent...either way you got to at least not do anything stupid in the 3rd and lose with class. That being said, crazier stuff has happened in hockey...a comeback is possible.

Devils Nick30

Sep 7, 2010
New Jersey
Canada is playing horrid. Mainly their goaltending. Absolutely embarrassing and I have no idea whatsoever why Bunz or Domingue were not picked. Ref hates Canada because he's American. Understandable but come on, Jenner is bleeding from the mouth after a hit to the head and he gets kicked for touching Kuznetsov (who is doing God knows what in the first place) with his stick. And Huberdeau touches a Russian's leg with his stick and gets slashing, and a 10 min misconduct for hitting his stick against the boards. Awful. Embarrassing. /rant

The ref was right there - it definitely seemed like Kuznetsov really wanted to see if he was okay. The hit against Jenner probably should have been 5 minutes in an IIHF game, but you can't spear someone right in front of the ref no matter how 'soft' the end result is. Spearing is a major penalty even in the NHL.

The Huberdeau misconduct was a weak call though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad