Selanne and Kariya in the Hockey Hall of Fame!

ktulu98

Nov 24, 2005
slovakia
I think it's time to burry some things and retire Paul jersey together with Rucchin...
I think these guys together with Teemu placed Anaheim on hockey map and we should appreciate it...

Reactions: Mallard

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
Man... when Paul looked at Teemu and said "We will always be brothers"... that was a punch to the chest

"We will always be brothers, in this life and the next"

Kyme0pp.jpg

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Yeah, only just saw the two speeches. I'm don't find myself in that spot all too often, but somebody was cutting onions pretty closeby there.

What a couple of legends.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Well yeah, I could't hold it back. Yes, I feel relieved that I can like Paul again, after so many years of bitterness. And Teemu, well, he was the reason why I started to watch hockey and I started to love the Ducks. Great great speeches, especially Paul's one. Loved, really, how they honored Rooch as well, sometimes people say "Who knows how much could have they scored if they had a proper center" not realizing that the Dynamic Duo didn't need more offence but needed somebody who could check their back while they created fireworks upfront.
Thank you guys and congratulations, that brought back too many memories and now you're deservedly in Hockey History forever... :clap:

Reactions: FVM and DarthYenik

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
yeah rucchin really was underrated for all the dirty work he did during his time centering teemu and paul

i've always heard the "imagine if they had a decent center" argument but it was rucchin's dirty work that allowed those two to be as successful as they were

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
They obviously didn’t need a “decent” center. Both put up 100+ point seasons (plural) with Rooch up the middle. That is not something that needs much more improvement.

That said, and sorry to bring it up again, but imagine if Prime Andy McDonald was playing with prime Teemu and PK. Fastest line on the planet?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Congrats to Teemu!

Kariya getting in proves the bar is getting lower and lower every year. He had some fantastic years but hall of famer isn't something I would classify him as. Same with Andreychuk. Recchi is borderline.

Kariya fits into the category of Bure and Lindros. Dynamic impact players whose careers were derailed by injury. Andreychuk and Recchi on the other hand played forever and have the stats but weren't particularly great.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Lindros was a tier ahead of Paul, he was actually the best player in the game for spurts where as Paul was more of a top 10 guy.

Of the late 90s when he was at his best I still can't put him ahead of the likes of Jagr, Sakic, Lindros, Forsberg, Selanne to name a few. Offensively yeah he was maybe top 3 but in terms of a two way game there were a lot of guys who were only slightly worse offensively while being streets ahead in their own end.

Kariya is more comparable to Pavel Bure, because of injuries and style of play. Really special dynamic offensive players of their era. Neither played two-way hockey (neither did Selanne for that matter).

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
yeah rucchin really was underrated for all the dirty work he did during his time centering teemu and paul

i've always heard the "imagine if they had a decent center" argument but it was rucchin's dirty work that allowed those two to be as successful as they were

Yeah Rucchin was perfect for them. Decent offensively, great defensively and allowed them to do what they did so well. He also let them have the puck a lot more than a more offensive flashy centre would have.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Can we still sign Paul to a one-day contract so he can re-retire as a Duck? Is that a thing?

Good lord I hope his number gets lifted in Anaheim...

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Can we still sign Paul to a one-day contract so he can re-retire as a Duck? Is that a thing?

Good lord I hope his number gets lifted in Anaheim...
I don’t think there’s any rules on fake one day contracts. Vlad Guerrero signed a one day contract to retire as an Angel a couple years after retiring (or at least a couple years after playing). I’d love to see that gesture, but #9 definitely needs to hang next to #8. This is something I’ve wanted for a long time. I’d be surprised if it’s not by the end of the 2018-19 season.

Does he have to wear the Blues logo or did he choose to?
Probably the only helmet he had, or only only one he was willing to use. Or maybe he wanted to give a nod to the Blues, because they were good to him, and he knew most of the focus of his career is on his Ducks days. So he wanted to tip his cap to the Blues and Blues fans. But it was probably just the only helmet he had.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
I don’t think there’s any rules on fake one day contracts. Vlad Guerrero signed a one day contract to retire as an Angel a couple years after retiring (or at least a couple years after playing). I’d love to see that gesture, but #9 definitely needs to hang next to #8. This is something I’ve wanted for a long time. I’d be surprised if it’s not by the end of the 2018-19 season.

Probably the only helmet he had, or only only one he was willing to use. Or maybe he wanted to give a nod to the Blues, because they were good to him, and he knew most of the focus of his career is on his Ducks days. So he wanted to tip his cap to the Blues and Blues fans. But it was probably just the only helmet he had.

According to Teemu, it was the only helmet he had, all his gear was beat to shit and mismatched, and his skates were missing rivets... Not surprised he only had a blues helmet

Reactions: DarthYenik

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Watched the speeches. Am I the only one or someone else also thought Paul really didn`t mentioned Ducks org any more than Avs, Preds or Blues?

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Watched the speeches. Am I the only one or someone else also thought Paul really didn`t mentioned Ducks org any more than Avs, Preds or Blues?
There’s really no one in the Ducks organization right now who was there when he was. He thanked Ron Wilson, and Michael Eisner, that’s how long ago he played here.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I cannot wait until Sunday!!!

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
Does anyone know if the ducks hof ceremony will be broadcast on FS1, or NHL Network? I'm obviously unable to attend but would love to see it.

Hell, I'll even take a Facebook/Instagram live video.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad