Selanne and Kariya in the Hockey Hall of Fame!

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Congrats to Teemu!

Kariya getting in proves the bar is getting lower and lower every year. He had some fantastic years but hall of famer isn't something I would classify him as. Same with Andreychuk. Recchi is borderline.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Off the floor, in the Hall, Paul Kariya!

Do have to agree with the Hall of Very Good, though. It almost feels like they're desperately looking for people to induct right now where they should just have the select few be chosen and let each year pass without inductions if there is no one worthy. Out of the ones getting inducted right now, I think only Selänne is the easy shoe-in. Everyone else is debatable.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I think this locks Kariya getting his jersey retired in the next few year.

I hope it does. I'm not big on retiring numbers but 8 and 9 belong together in the rafters. Two hall of famers who played their prime years together with the Ducks and put the franchise on the map

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I hope it does. I'm not big on retiring numbers but 8 and 9 belong together in the rafters. Two hall of famers who played their prime years together with the Ducks and put the franchise on the map

Couldn't agree more.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
Congrats to Teemu!

Kariya getting in proves the bar is getting lower and lower every year. He had some fantastic years but hall of famer isn't something I would classify him as. Same with Andreychuk. Recchi is borderline.

Off the floor, in the Hall, Paul Kariya!

Do have to agree with the Hall of Very Good, though. It almost feels like they're desperately looking for people to induct right now where they should just have the select few be chosen and let each year pass without inductions if there is no one worthy. Out of the ones getting inducted right now, I think only Selänne is the easy shoe-in. Everyone else is debatable.

Can't say I disagree but I think part if it is that the recent inductees are a lot of 'dead puck era' players. I never expected Kariya would be inducted to be honest, but he was a ppg player in a tough era for scoring and was an NHL all star many times. He is deserving of it.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Yeah, and had Kariya's career not come to an unfortunate end thanks to some jerks that need not be named, he'd most likely have point totals rivaling even the top of the all-time scoreboards (minus Gretzky and Mario of course).

I'm not entirely against his induction. Especially in the sense that he was the first real superstar of a budding franchise and pretty much helped solidify us as a serious team. Who knows where we'd be without him. Just feels a bit strange.

DucksRoll

May 9, 2015
Congrats to Teemu!

What percentage of players should be in versus how the percentage that is currently making it?

Hopefully you're not someone who just judges HoF worthiness based on arbitrary counting totals.

Kariya clearly was one of the top players in the league while he was healthy. The only real knock against him is his limited time he played healthy and early retirement.

IMO, he was dominant enough in a time when it was really tough to be dominant that he's a no-brainer. To me, the Hall of Fame should always be about the handful of best players from each decade. Paul was clearly one of those.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
1e8b90e8f18239faf4621da9c36aaa08.jpg

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Congrats to Teemu!

Should absolutely be a HOFer. One of only 19 players with 600+ goals, also currently holds the NHL record for PP goals (274). Stanley Cup winner, 1600+ regular season games.

Recchi is a good pick for the HOF, too. 3 Cups, almost PPG over 1600+ regular season games. Currently 20th all time in goals, didn't quite hit 600.

Kariya is definitely a questionable inductee.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Congrats to Teemu!

Kariya was one of the best in the game for a fairly long period of time, for me that should the bar. I'm glad to see him get in as I feel like it wouldn't have been a debate if not for Suter. Extremely happy that him and Teemu are going to share this together.

Andreychuk I agree should not be there, he has that distinction of being the leading PP goal scorer ever, but he also finished with 301 less points than games played. Sure he was a good player who any team would love to have - but he's only an all time great in regards to that one single facet of the game.

Recchi was the active leading scorer when he retired, that gives him a pretty strong case. Still definitely on the lower end as far as the HOF goes without a doubt.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Paul was at least a legitimate superstar in the league, and that was derailed by injury. Even with 600 goals I don't think I'd put Andreychuk in, he was just very good for a very long time. Recchi's borderline.

Either way, so awesome Teemu and Paul got to go in together. Can't hate that.

DucksRoll

May 9, 2015
Should absolutely be a HOFer. One of only 19 players with 600+ goals, also currently holds the NHL record for PP goals (274). Stanley Cup winner, 1600+ regular season games.

Recchi is a good pick for the HOF, too. 3 Cups, almost PPG over 1600+ regular season games. Currently 20th all time in goals, didn't quite hit 600.

Kariya is definitely a questionable inductee.

See, there's the difference between how players are rated. I think Kariya, playing in the 90's, which was a really tough time to be a goal-scorer, was one of the dominant players of that era. Andreychuk was really good in the 80's and he was a solid player for a long time. That kind of longevity and overall numbers is worth something, even though I think Paul had more talent.

Knock Kariya if you want for never quite keeping his flame up for a 15-20 year career, but the talent was as elite as anybody playing during his prime. If Lindros got in, Paul is a no-brainer.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
See, there's the difference between how players are rated. I think Kariya, playing in the 90's, which was a really tough time to be a goal-scorer, was one of the dominant players of that era. Andreychuk was really good in the 80's and he was a solid player for a long time. That kind of longevity and overall numbers is worth something, even though I think Paul had more talent.

Knock Kariya if you want for never quite keeping his flame up for a 15-20 year career, but the talent was as elite as anybody playing during his prime. If Lindros got in, Paul is a no-brainer.

Lindros was a tier ahead of Paul, he was actually the best player in the game for spurts where as Paul was more of a top 10 guy.

Of the late 90s when he was at his best I still can't put him ahead of the likes of Jagr, Sakic, Lindros, Forsberg, Selanne to name a few. Offensively yeah he was maybe top 3 but in terms of a two way game there were a lot of guys who were only slightly worse offensively while being streets ahead in their own end.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Lindros was a tier ahead of Paul, he was actually the best player in the game for spurts where as Paul was more of a top 10 guy.

Of the late 90s when he was at his best I still can't put him ahead of the likes of Jagr, Sakic, Lindros, Forsberg, Selanne to name a few. Offensively yeah he was maybe top 3 but in terms of a two way game there were a lot of guys who were only slightly worse offensively while being streets ahead in their own end.

And if anyone doesn't get that reference I'm sorry but you're just streets behind.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

You don't have to be the best player in the league at any point to make the hall of fame. Kariya was way better than Andreychuk and Recchi and they both got in, so who cares?

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014

If you are talking about him at his best, he 100% deserves to be mentioned in the same tier as those guys.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

You really can't say Selanne at the time was in with that group and Kariya wasn't, they were as equal as it got.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I've been extremely bitter at Paul Kariya for the way he backstabbed the Ducks org and us fans after the amazing 2003 run. Yeah, I'm one of the few who still hold a grudge on him... but I think this is the right time to bury the hatchet.
Teemu was a lock, but I feel it's so fitting they both get inducted TOGETHER, that's AWESOME! Big congrats to both... :handclap:

Yeah, I feel it's no longer in the discussion now if retire Kariya's number...

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
080213_ducksalltime.jpg

Congrats Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne. So great to see both former Ducks elected into the hall of fame and having it happen together with the two of them is just perfect just so perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad