Seguin at $9.85M or Tavares at $11M

Who would you rather have on your team?

• Total voters

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would love to be believe in your prophetic abilities, but your crystal ball is wrong on 90% of its readings.

As per the thread. I would take Tavares, he’s a better fit for the Leafs and is far more versatile in his role for us. As he ages and can’t play anymore because he’ll forget how to skate, he’ll be sheltered by our incredible depth, which Seguin doesn’t have comparable top end depth in Dallas.
I would take Seguin. He's cheaper, younger, and his skating is much better. Those are good reasons to most. As the voting confirms.

NJD28

Nov 28, 2010
Voted Tavares just because this poll shouldn't be so lopsided. The cap difference is minimal and one player isn't superior to the other. JT has probably done more with less over his career, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

member 147413

I would take Seguin. He's cheaper, younger, and his skating is much better. Those are good reasons to most. As the voting confirms.
Fair points.

Voting doesn’t mean much of anything on this site though.

Who are the best non-elc players making 1.15mil per or less?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I just like him better. Younger, faster, better shot, better contract, similar production. Tavares is a hell of a player but I think TS is the better player although Tavares is a smarter player imo.

I would take Segiun too, but it's interesting that you list all these variables that Seguin is better at, and you admit he has had better support, and then you list "similar production". Tavares is worse at so many things and has less support but they have similar production. That doesn't add up.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
In a vacuum, Tavares.

With these contracts, Tavares still, but it's a lot closer for me now mostly because of the age difference.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I would take Segiun too, but it's interesting that you list all these variables that Seguin is better at, and you admit he has had better support, and then you list "similar production". Tavares is worse at so many things and has less support but they have similar production. That doesn't add up.
I never say he has better support, but yes historically JT has had a better supporting cast. And just because I think he's faster with a better shot doesn't instantly mean he should have more points, I also pointed out that JT is a smarter player which I think is a huge part of his game more-so than TS.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The cap difference has more to do with the eighth year than taxes. If Tavares could've signed an 8 year deal with the Leafs he probably would've come in at around 10 AAV.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Tavares was voted like 4th or 5th best centre on HF polls before coming to the Leafs, now Tyler Seguin is supposed to be better, lol. So yeah, evidence of players in polls before and after joining the Leafs say otherwise.

Also, every and any list you can find put out recently by TSN, THN, NHL Network, SN, and NHL.com has Tavares either within the top 10 C's or just outside it, and all have him well ahead of Seguin.
Wrong yet again

#NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Centers
Seguin @ 9
Tavares @ 10

You can try and keep up the victim narrative, but the real evidence doesn't support it

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Contracts aside for a moment at least Tavares being a finalist for the Hart Trophy has shown he is able to lead a team, where as Seguin has not been his teams best player. So despite him being a #1 centre for the Stars I think everyone would say Jamie Benn is their best player.

How is that relevant?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Cap difference means literally nothing, I guess unless you can't spend the cap, all this poll is testing is if Tavares can be said to be 1.33% better than Seguin which the argument can be made.

Anyways, this one is a tossup, Seguin definitely has a bright future, although Tavares has had the better career with less so far.

So in typical HF fashion, Leaf tossups=runaway for other player, Leafs better=other person slightly better and Leafs clearly better=Leafs slightly win.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
love to see leafs fans arguing their way out of this one when seguin is cheaper, younger, better looking, and has the same production with his two way game has also improving immensely

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm willing to bet a lot of the votes for Seguin are also anti votes against Tavares just because he signed in Toronto. Had he re-signed with the Islanders or choose the Sharks, this vote would be a lot closer or Tavares would be winning. Just look at the Tavares vs Headman poll when he was still with the Islanders and today now that he is a Maple Leaf as proof of this.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
love to see leafs fans arguing their way out of this one when seguin is cheaper, younger, better looking, and has the same production with his two way game has also improving immensely

He doesn't have the same production though:

Tavares lifetime ppg .93
Seguin lifetime ppg .86
Tavares seasons over 80 points/ppg: 5 (or 3 if you want to nitpick over 1 point in 2 years)
Seguin seasons over 80 points/ppg: 3
8 first years in the league with over 80 points Seguin: 3/8
8 first years in the league with over 80 points Tavares: 3 or 4 if you count the one season he was one point away/8
Who had the better teammates and supporting cast: Seguin

The cash savings are irrelevant unless you are a basement team, we are talking about 1.33% difference in the cap.

I also dispute how much better looking Seguin is

tavares.jpg

john-tavares-2018-7440.jpg

John is far more rugged and likely the sort of guy you could survive on an island with, Seguin is the type of guy that would start whining on week 1 that his eyebrows are all "f*cked* and you should try and help him wax them, meanwhile John is building a house for you two to live in.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

Tavares lifetime ppg .93
Seguin lifetime ppg .86
Tavares seasons over 80 points/ppg: 5 (or 3 if you want to nitpick over 1 point in 2 years)
8 first years in the league with over 80 points Tavares: 3 or 4 if you count the one season he was one point away/8

The cash savings are irrelevant unless you are a basement team, we are talking about 1.33% difference in the cap.

I also dispute how much better looking Seguin is

tavares.jpg

john-tavares-2018-7440.jpg

John is far more rugged and likely the sort of guy you could survive on an island with, Seguin is the type of guy that would start whining on week 1 that his eyebrows are all "f*cked* and you should try and help him wax them, meanwhile John is building a house for you two to live in.

maxresdefault.jpg

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Wrong yet again

#NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Centers
Seguin @ 9
Tavares @ 10

You can try and keep up the victim narrative, but the real evidence doesn't support it

Victim narrative, that's funny.

That was a powerful response lad, posting one of the several lists I'd mentioned, problem is the one list you chose is the one that has Auston Matthew's ranked 4th. I'm a Matthew's homer and I wouldn't of even put him that high.

If you want to build an argument keep adding lists to prove Seguin>Tavares is a common theme.

The real evidence is Seguin is a one-dimensional 70 point offensive C lacking leadership abilities, he may of added other dimensions to his game this past season, a little bit, but nothing noteworthy. Tavares on the other hand is an 80 point two-way C who in the past 4 seasons has votes for the Selke three times (including last season) and the Hart trophy twice. Seguin's received zero over the same span of time.

Seguin makes less because he's worth less, because he scores less and defends less.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Tavares lifetime ppg .93
Seguin lifetime ppg .86

The lifetime PPG is misleading.
Was Seguin supposed to leapfrog Bergeron and Krejci in his rookie, sophomore or D+3 season as the 1C with 1C PP time? Tavares was NYI's 1C the day he was drafted. Once Seguin moved to Dallas his 384 points in 386 games is really impressive.

These two players are a toss up at best.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Also, Tavares looks like the kind of guy who drives 5 under the speed limit and only has sex in the missionary position. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad