Second Official MLB Discussion Thread

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I always wondered why they had the second game back then, I never bothered to find out lol. That was why I put 11 All-Star game appearances for Cepeda (as opposed to just 11x All Star) even though it was probably more like 7 years given the double games.

Yeah, not a big deal. But I figured people might not even realize it.

And great pick with Cepeda.

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
My #1 starter has a higher career SLG% than Willie McCovey. I've really enjoyed this draft more than any other hockey or baseball draft I've done in the last 9 years here. There have been great picks also. If anyone is interested in doing a AAA draft, I'm up for it. We can wait until after the playoffs to make any decisions.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
It really is a fun draft. With far less teams than the ATD, the pace is brisk. And I feel we get to discover some players that have gone unnoticed or overlooked. So that is a cool feature.

And being a newer entity, this one is not as "mapped out" as the atd with that one being 9 years in, and always starting with the best of all time. This one's line of demarcation in the all time player pool will always fluctuate, depending on the number of atd participants that year.

So that makes it interesting as well.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
My #1 starter has a higher career SLG% than Willie McCovey. I've really enjoyed this draft more than any other hockey or baseball draft I've done in the last 9 years here. There have been great picks also. If anyone is interested in doing a AAA draft, I'm up for it. We can wait until after the playoffs to make any decisions.
As much as I love drafting and talking baseball, I think I will be all drafted out for this season, after we complete this.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It really is a fun draft. With far less teams than the ATD, the pace is brisk. And I feel we get to discover some players that have gone unnoticed or overlooked. So that is a cool feature.

As much as I love drafting and talking baseball, I think I will be all drafted out for this season, after we complete this.

Agreed with all the above.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Yeah, it sounds great... but I do have some other things that need my attention.

It has been really fun to built a team of "B Level" talent. There's been a bunch of different ways to build a team with the players out there. I've taken to drafting my team with a theme in mind, "I've Seen You Play". It's partly a lazy way to cut my research in 1/2 (kind of), but it's also helped me remember some players I've forgotten about and also gain a new appreciation of some players I knew were good but the stats ended up better than I remember (Mo Vaughn and Moises Alou are the two that most surprised me).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, it sounds great... but I do have some other things that need my attention.

It has been really fun to built a team of "B Level" talent. There's been a bunch of different ways to build a team with the players out there. I've taken to drafting my team with a theme in mind, "I've Seen You Play". It's partly a lazy way to cut my research in 1/2 (kind of), but it's also helped me remember some players I've forgotten about and also gain a new appreciation of some players I knew were good but the stats ended up better than I remember (Mo Vaughn and Moises Alou are the two that most surprised me).

I didn't even remember Mo Vaughn had an actual Mets highlight till your pick :P Another guy like Alomar and an undrafted 2B who just went to the late '90's/early '00's Mets to die.

I was going to just say screw it and draft all offense first, or all pitching first to make the research a little easier but I eventually played it more straight up. A couple of these guys I picked here I wouldn't have minded subbing in on my A team :laugh: In that sense it probably helped not having a player list and just looking up number leaders and random player searches.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
54da5ea323f8a_-_esq-franco-0410-lg.jpg

It really is a fun draft. With far less teams than the ATD, the pace is brisk. And I feel we get to discover some players that have gone unnoticed or overlooked. So that is a cool feature. And being a newer entity, this one is not as "mapped out" as the atd with that one being 9 years in, and always starting with the best of all time. This one's line of demarcation in the all time player pool will always fluctuate, depending on the number of atd participants that year. So that makes it interesting as well.
Agreed. We started a hundred picks lower this year so I haven't even touched my "MLB" research from last year. The quality of players is good also. My first 5 picks are all HoFers and by the end of the draft there will be several players on different teams with a higher OPS+ than Ken Griffey Jr.

EDIT:
... I've taken to drafting my team with a theme in mind, "I've Seen You Play". It's partly a lazy way to cut my research in 1/2 (kind of), ...
Except for my NEL players, I did the same thing, but I'm older.

Last edited:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Nice pick on Chavez. Damn you.

I had him lined up last night, then when I went to bed he left my mind and I ended up racking my brain figuring out who I was looking at when I made my picks this morning.

I contemplated amending my Jay Bell pick when I was typing up the Vaughn wrtieup

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Vada Pinson is a great pick.

He had an excellent 7 year peak. JAWS 7, 18th all time for CF.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Wrigs, I am going to drop a player.

Should I do that at the end of the draft, or now?

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Please give Vegeta until 3:58 PM CT, because it's 8 hours from td-ice's last pick, Vegeta will naturally think it's his clock, and there's no reason to have a dispute over 1 hour. I'm asking for a favor, not trying to be a dictator Commish. I will post this for NJDevs26. Thanks so much for everyone's participation. I was very ill when I dropped of the ATD and this has meant a lot to me and been very fun! Thanks! :yo: :yo: :yo:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Please give Vegeta until 3:58 PM CT, because it's 8 hours from td-ice's last pick, Vegeta will naturally think it's his clock, and there's no reason to have a dispute over 1 hour. I'm asking for a favor, not trying to be a dictator Commish. I will post this for NJDevs26.

Not my pick next...and Vegeta went anyway.

Isn't having an avatar/user title of an undrafted player illegal? :sarcasm:

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
220px-Bobby_Baun_Maple_Leafs_Chex_Cereal_card.jpg

Hah I see your point...but a UL username/title is like a David Ross one, he'd never get drafted in an ATD either - oh wait :sarcasm:
Although you're joking, I changed my user title. I thought it wouldn't be a problem in this draft, but I was wrong. It was so annoying in hockey, because you had to forward your search through the user name in every round (such as Bob Baun (pictured above) for example) every time you were looking for that player.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The funny thing is I was actually considering your avatar at one point as a platoon guy (I'm out of drafting position players - just have three pitchers and a manger left - so it doesn't matter to me now) cause like Winger said before 2B is surprisingly a bit of an offensive wasteland at this point. I went with Campy to back up at both SS/2B instead cause I did have backups I wanted to draft elsewhere. There's still a couple of 1B/OF'ers I wish I could have drafted but those positions are super deep.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
... cause like Winger said before 2B is surprisingly a bit of an offensive wasteland at this point. I went with Campy to back up at both SS/2B instead cause I did have backups I wanted to draft elsewhere. There's still a couple of 1B/OF'ers I wish I could have drafted but those positions are super deep.
Imo before the 90s 2B wasn't as strong a hitting position as it is now. Tony Olivia was a great pick.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Imo before the 90s 2B wasn't as strong a hitting position as it is now.

Baseball America (Matt Eddy) did a really nice article on this trend early this year. It's a very interesting read.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/new-powerful-truth-baseball/#GPTF0kQz2muFkUVi.97

• Shortstops today hit 225 percent more home runs per season than they did in the 1970s—and 18 percent more than they did 20 years ago.

• Second basemen today hit 133 percent more home runs per season than they did in the 1970s—and 40 percent more than they did 20 years ago.

HR-650-PA-970x582.png

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
That's a nice article. All 3 of my MIs have roughly a .400+ SLG%. Belanger has the 2nd highest FLD% of all time. Taking Sean Patrick to school, then picking in roughly around half an hour. I was gonna try invisible seeding, but the vote counter needs to be able to post the results so you can guys can see them so I'm just going standard.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Geez so close to the end...let's get it back going and get the last picks in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad