GDT: Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft - The One Where We Already Knew the Picks

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
In before Oilers play "down" to the level of the Kraken

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He was an important player (2.5 out of 5 years roughly) and his presence will be missed but he's a 2nd pair shutdown Dman when it boils down to it, that's not a cornerstone player to me.
The cornerstones of this franchise are McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse.

Tomato Tawmoto. Of course McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse are this team's elite. Larsson was part of the leadership group and an important player in key situations. Not irreplaceable like the elite three but on a team trying to move forward Larsson had leadership credibility and an important, physical shutdown skill set on an overly finesse team. For me the tangibles and intangibles represent the cornerstones required for this team to move beyond an entry level playoff participant. In a team game, you need more than two or three elites to win the big prize. For me, Larsson was part of the cornerstone, foundation, base of players that was important to moving this team forward. A bigger loss and a great gain for Seattle who have drafted a strong, versatile blue line which is what I would have done.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm missing your point. You said he was 100% not going to sign here. I didn't get that sense from the reporting. Seattle is an attractive city and the expansion draft a unique situation. I'm not sure anyone can say it was 100% definitive Larsson would have left Edmonton. Maybe I'm missing something?

Irrelevant. He leaped and the Oilers have yet another hole to fill. Like whack a mole. For everyone hit another pops up. Oil defence looked solid and balanced - now another gap to fill in the free agent market which isn't overly kind to Canadian market teams.
No I said he could 100% choose where he wanted to play.

Him choosing to sign not in Edmonton amd Holland giving other teams permission to talk to Larsson last week tells me that Larsson had decided well before today that he wanted to sign somewhere else.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
No I said he could 100% choose where he wanted to play.

Him choosing to sign not in Edmonton amd Holland giving other teams permission to talk to Larsson last week tells me that Larsson had decided well before today that he wanted to sign somewhere else.

I didn't find your point very clear so that's on me. As a UFA of course he could 100% choose where he wanted to play. And he's done that. I can't read Larsson's mind so I don't know if he was 100% getting out of dodge or not. Seattle leveraged the advance talking period to target a valuable piece to their puzzle and Larsson bought it. Frankly the Seattle city and way they are building their organization in all capacities is a very compelling argument.

Reactions: GOilers88 and nabob

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Thats really all I said in my original post that you misquoted twice. Some people (not meaning you) are having a lot of issues understanding that Larsson was 100% in control of where he chose to play going forward.

Sorry as I just wrote I feel I misunderstood your original post as it was written. I thought it was pretty obvious to all that a UFA like Larsson or anyone has earned the right to choose their destination.

Reactions: nabob

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Tomato Tawmoto. Of course McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse are this team's elite. Larsson was part of the leadership group and an important player in key situations. Not irreplaceable like the elite three but on a team trying to move forward Larsson had leadership credibility and an important, physical shutdown skill set on an overly finesse team. For me the tangibles and intangibles represent the cornerstones required for this team to move beyond an entry level playoff participant. In a team game, you need more than two or three elites to win the big prize. For me, Larsson was part of the cornerstone, foundation, base of players that was important to moving this team forward. A bigger loss and a great gain for Seattle who have drafted a strong, versatile blue line which is what I would have done.

I don't disagree that Larsson was a key piece of the puzzle but I just have a different definition of "cornerstone" player. He's a good player but a 2nd pairing shutdown Dman that brings minimal offense to the table shouldn't be THAT hard to replace for most organizations, the Oilers are another story. Most teams have a "Larsson". It's a big loss though no doubt.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
That’s a terrible group of forwards.
Feel sorry for Eberle.

During lazy days I've looked at who'd probably be available to Seattle come draft time. Always felt it was going to be a defense draft. That's why when Colorado traded Ryan Graves the other week when they were going to expose Donskoi struck me as stupid. Seattle had a ton of defense to pick from - to me the forwards were lacking.

I am surprised there weren't deals where they take a player - say JVR - and Philly eats some salary. Not sure how that mightve worked with NTC but whatever.

Reactions: harpoon

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I don't disagree that Larsson was a key piece of the puzzle but I just have a different definition of "cornerstone" player. He's a good player but a 2nd pairing shutdown Dman that brings minimal offense to the table shouldn't be THAT hard to replace for most organizations, the Oilers are another story. It's a big loss though no doubt.

What I think gets missed with this sentiment is that the shutdown d-man isn't a "sexy" job and players have a tendency to get bored with such strenuous jobs that don't get recognition.

It's like when you have a guy like Kassian killing it physically and chipping in here and there. Guys doing that type of job seem to get bored and disengaged like they want something more to their career.

Larsson didn't seem to care. He wanted to play and win. He was like Jason Smith back in the day. Guys who do the dirty work.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
It really looks like Seattle is scared to take on bad contracts. I get that it doesnt make sense for the majority of teams, but theres probably some advantage to taking on 1-3 bad contracts (2 yrs or less) to get some additional first round picks like Vegas did. But maybe its coming before the draft.

Reactions: oilers'72

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
It really looks like Seattle is scared to take on bad contracts. I get that it doesnt make sense for the majority of teams, but theres probably some advantage to taking on 1-3 bad contracts (2 yrs or less) to get some additional first round picks like Vegas did. But maybe its coming before the draft.

Did Vegas take any bad contracts thought? Most of their deals were take this pick or prospect or player and just don't take this one here.

I didn't think GMs were making those deals this time.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
So the Kraken have at least 2 or 3 reasonable defensemen to trade....maybe they can snag a decent left wing with that. Then they have 30+ million to spend in free agency.
Must be at least a couple of good players looking for some big dollars with some term.
Maybe a Barrie on the backend helps them. Ottawa's looking to move Dadonov....good 2LW for them?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Did Vegas take any bad contracts thought? Most of their deals were take this pick or prospect or player and just don't take this one here.

I didn't think GMs were making those deals this time.

Yeah they took a few. Grabovski and Clarkson come to mind. They had 3 first round picks. I think theres trades in the hopper so people need to probably wait before assessing Seattles roster.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Forwards are ass. D looks not the worst ever except for Giordano because he sucks. I now do not see a Vegas scenario.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Some really weird picks by Seattle. Makes me wonder if teams like Montreal/Philadelphia/etc threw them some assets to pick guys like Cale Fleury.

They are really looking at UFA to field a nhl roster imo.

I believe Hall will be a Kraken and get paid.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Oddly enough, I think the winner of the expansion draft was Montreal.

Habs got to keep their goalie tandem because Bergevin has balls of steel and made the right moves.

But you haven't seen what they had to trade for Seattle to leave him :sarcasm:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don't disagree that Larsson was a key piece of the puzzle but I just have a different definition of "cornerstone" player. He's a good player but a 2nd pairing shutdown Dman that brings minimal offense to the table shouldn't be THAT hard to replace for most organizations, the Oilers are another story. Most teams have a "Larsson". It's a big loss though no doubt.

Clearly we do have different perceptions about cornerstone and also this player. The Oilers are definitely 'another story' with a long standing neglect of defensemen and extended fixation of smaller finesse forwards for a huge swath of rebuild(s). It is one challenged to plug holes through poor drafting and development and one that consistently has to overpay for free agents. Larsson was a glue guy, a leader and a stabilizing effect with key ice-time. A very solid low maintenance player.

Now, instead of the stability of a young, developing d-corp with a solid top four pairing including what might have been Keith and Larsson, the Oilers are scrambling yet again to build out this crucial position that's been a weakness for years. Add on looking for quality forward depth, third line centre and better bottom six, and a goaltender closer to entry level than social security, the Summer Of Ken list is longer and more uncertain than less. And a beacon to the league when a cornerstone guy leaves for the same term (and likely less) than he had been offered. Edmonton is different and the majority of Canadian markets are challenged to attract top talent. And when you fail for over a decade at draft-development you spin your wheels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad