Season Ticket Holder Discussion Thread: Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
So I emailed my ST Rep today to ask for a list of Retail Prices for my seats and was told "We are still waiting to hear back on the list from ticketmaster. As of right now they have not sent us the list of full retail prices. Once I have this list I will forward it on!"

So I ask, "I'm confused. Why are the Edmonton Oilers waiting on Retail pricing from Ticketmaster? Who sets the Oilers ticket prices, The Oilers or Ticketmaster?"

His answer, "Ticketmaster sets the pricing. This is why we are waiting on the list from them. The retail sales for both season seats holders and public are run by ticketmaster."

Does that seem odd to anyone else that the Oilers aren't responsible for their own ticket pricing!?

Was a little confused today when I confirmed with my rep the retail/face value pricing for this coming season.
It is IDENTICAL to last year's retail/face value pricing.
I found it odd that it is staying the same, yet the cost of everybody's season seats increased :huh:

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
Not sure if this has been discussed, but has anyone else noticed how truly awful the Oiler's account manager is? The desktop version forces you to scroll in different directions to select/agree/print. Not to mention the links for mobile use never works. Brutally frustrating at times. How is ticketmaster not aware of how bad this system is? Or they really don't give a ****. End rant

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Not sure if this has been discussed, but has anyone else noticed how truly awful the Oiler's account manager is? The desktop version forces you to scroll in different directions to select/agree/print. Not to mention the links for mobile use never works. Brutally frustrating at times. How is ticketmaster not aware of how bad this system is? Or they really don't give a ****. End rant

App sucks a bit. Desktop version I have no problems with, although small hassle to transfer multiple games.

werkitout

Oct 7, 2015
Edmonton

It's beyond terrible. There is no way business like theirs should have an interface as ****** as they do. I should be able to go into my account and see what credit I have, what I owe, what I've paid etc. Even when some of that information is available it's missing information or inaccurate. Very frustrating.

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Another tidbit - An increase for the "Registry Administration Fee" to $75 per year or you are removed from the Registry is quite comical.

What are there? 3500+ on the registry? $260,000 free money for the Oilers every year lol

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
It's beyond terrible. There is no way business like theirs should have an interface as ****** as they do. I should be able to go into my account and see what credit I have, what I owe, what I've paid etc. Even when some of that information is available it's missing information or inaccurate. Very frustrating.

This is a great point.

Olenkab29

Apr 25, 2016
Different topic here.....did any of you go to the STH preview/info night for the SKY Residences tonight? I wanted to go but couldn't make it work...mostly morbid curiosity about cost/bang for the buck. If anyone went, I'm interested in what they told you! Thanks!

G Unit

Apr 8, 2016
Another tidbit - An increase for the "Registry Administration Fee" to $75 per year or you are removed from the Registry is quite comical.

What are there? 3500+ on the registry? $260,000 free money for the Oilers every year lol

What does it go up to next year, if they have an even better season? 100$? All this for the "privilege" of staying on a list? No thanks, I can get random tickets throughout the year, and I'm fine with that. I'm letting my registery spot drop, and getting my 200$ back.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
What does it go up to next year, if they have an even better season? 100$? All this for the "privilege" of staying on a list? No thanks, I can get random tickets throughout the year, and I'm fine with that. I'm letting my registery spot drop, and getting my 200$ back.

With the availability of tickets on the resale market I am seriously considering dropping my season tickets next year. I carry all the risk and cost, with very limited perks.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Lol, Katz loves finding ways to make money for doing nothing, doesn't he.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Really? I doubt that very much. There's a paid waiting list for a reason.
I think a lot of people on the waiting list assume season tickets are a money making machine with playoffs putting that machine in overdrive. The reality is very different, I'm very curious to see how this years playoffs turn out, that's what will finalize my decision (assuming we get there!). The cost for playoff tickets for a season ticket holder get very high very fast, the second round I know a lot of people who were barely covering their cost nevermind face value I struggled to sell second round as well.

Obviously the first round was huge money but the firsts are done (first time in playoffs for 11 years, first playoffs in Rogers)

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
I think a lot of people on the waiting list assume season tickets are a money making machine with playoffs putting that machine in overdrive. The reality is very different, I'm very curious to see how this years playoffs turn out, that's what will finalize my decision (assuming we get there!). The cost for playoff tickets for a season ticket holder get very high very fast, the second round I know a lot of people who couldn't even cover their cost never mind face value. I struggled to sell second round as well.

Obviously the first round was huge money but the firsts are done (first time in playoffs for 11 years, first playoffs in Rogers)

The only reason I have Season Seats is for Playoff Tickets, and not so I can sell them. Just guarantees me in the building at the lowest price possible (so I don't have to buy on resale market)

I go to maybe 8 games throughout the year and sell the rest. Make a little bit of money to offset some cost, but in no means is it a money maker for me. Maybe brings my ticket average through out the year down by $20-$25 per seat per game and I am content with that

sgm1

Oct 30, 2008
Edmonton, AB
The only reason I have Season Seats is for Playoff Tickets, and not so I can sell them. Just guarantees me in the building at the lowest price possible (so I don't have to buy on resale market)

I go to maybe 8 games throughout the year and sell the rest. Make a little bit of money to offset some cost, but in no means is it a money maker for me. Maybe brings my ticket average through out the year down by $20-$25 per seat per game and I am content with that

I'm in the same position as you. I have split season tickets with 3 other friends since 09-10. This is the first year we have cut a 5th person into the draft. This leaves me 8 games a year (approximately). Of those, i'm guessing I go to 4. The others I give to friends/family (not to profit or gouge others) The main reason I have season tickets is for the assurance that I will be in the building for some marquee games and 1 for every 5 playoffs games. There is still a thirst for tickets. I've been asked about tickets once a week since the playoffs ended.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
I'm in the same position as you. I have split season tickets with 3 other friends since 09-10. This is the first year we have cut a 5th person into the draft. This leaves me 8 games a year (approximately). Of those, i'm guessing I go to 4. The others I give to friends/family (not to profit or gouge others) The main reason I have season tickets is for the assurance that I will be in the building for some marquee games and 1 for every 5 playoffs games. There is still a thirst for tickets. I've been asked about tickets once a week since the playoffs ended.

I think option B for me is to find 3 people to split the seats with so I don't carry all the risk.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
I have two seats in the lower bowl and I take care of my brothers three upper bowl seats until he returns from teaching in BC. In the regular season, I didn't go to a single game with his seats and they sold very easily. If there was a profit, it was minimal but that price range was very easy to move. My lower bowl seats however didn't come close to breaking even(on the games I didn't go to) and it was obvious that $150 a ticket was well above what your average fan was willing to pay and I don't blame them. It seemed very easy to get seats below value except Friday/Saturday games and the big name teams. In the playoffs the tickets moved but like someone said above, the first round sold for a pretty penny but by the second round, it was actually hard to move them for above cost. I think everyone blew their load because we were finally back in but the money just wasn't there after San Jose. I'm curious how it would go if we made it in the farther rounds.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I have two seats in the lower bowl and I take care of my brothers three upper bowl seats until he returns from teaching in BC. In the regular season, I didn't go to a single game with his seats and they sold very easily. If there was a profit, it was minimal but that price range was very easy to move. My lower bowl seats however didn't come close to breaking even(on the games I didn't go to) and it was obvious that $150 a ticket was well above what your average fan was willing to pay and I don't blame them. It seemed very easy to get seats below value except Friday/Saturday games and the big name teams. In the playoffs the tickets moved but like someone said above, the first round sold for a pretty penny but by the second round, it was actually hard to move them for above cost. I think everyone blew their load because we were finally back in but the money just wasn't there after San Jose. I'm curious how it would go if we made it in the farther rounds.

I think you are right about everyone blowing their load in the first round. I also think the viewing parties didn't do season ticket holders any favours. You got all the benefit of feeling like you were at the game (not just a smattering of people, but sitting in a sold out house). You got 50/50 draws. All for $5. $20 if you went to the SN Lounge and enjoyed their all-you-can-eat hotdog bar.

And if the Oilers were losing 5-0 at the end of the second? You could walk out knowing you gave up an evening of your life and $5 for the chance the Oilers were great that night and now do something else.

Not like if you spent $500 to walk out absolutely demoralized (I was at the OT loss to the Ducks in game 4).

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You can buy tickets for games on resale market for less than face.

SportsNet seats don't sell out every game.

So based on that you say they are pricing themselves "out of the market"? Secondary market single game ticket prices don't equate with season ticket demand.

The building is a sellout each game other than a few select premium seats many which sell as walk up seats. I go to half the games and I'd go to all of them if I were here for all of them and the place is packed with apparently a 3500 seat waiting list. I'd say they are pretty happy with the revenue this market is generating and where their prices are at.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think a lot of people on the waiting list assume season tickets are a money making machine with playoffs putting that machine in overdrive. The reality is very different, I'm very curious to see how this years playoffs turn out, that's what will finalize my decision (assuming we get there!). The cost for playoff tickets for a season ticket holder get very high very fast, the second round I know a lot of people who were barely covering their cost nevermind face value I struggled to sell second round as well.

I think if anyone is buying season seats to resell at a profit they are missing the boat. The OEG has spent a ****pile of money to determine top market prices and that is what they charge. That means there won't be much in the way of profit available for individual season ticket holders. Maybe the odd playoff game or special game. Otherwise I'd fully expect individual STH to have to sell tickets at face or lower in order to move them.

I buy my tickets so I can see the games and have guaranteed tickets for playoffs and any events in Rogers ahead of the crowds. I have a guy who buys any tickets I can't attend (which is about half due to travel) at half the value of my season ticket subscription in the summer (already paid for 17/18 season). I think most STH buy the tickets for the same reason, to see the games and not for profit.

Just my opinion anyway for what it's worth.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Different topic here.....did any of you go to the STH preview/info night for the SKY Residences tonight? I wanted to go but couldn't make it work...mostly morbid curiosity about cost/bang for the buck. If anyone went, I'm interested in what they told you! Thanks!

I was supposed to attend but missed it, but had a meeting today with a sales rep and walked through the show suites, saw the design palettes, amenities, common recreational spaces, renderings, etc. Looks fantastic to be honest. Complete pedway to Rogers, the theatre, the retail spaces, etc. Parking is a premium as not every unit is guaranteed a stall. Anyway the prices seemed pretty good for the location, amenities, etc considering no unit is below the 32nd floor IIRC. The tallest building downtown is what, 33 floors? So the lowest unit in at the hieght of the tallest building in Edmonton and they go up from there. Floor layouts differ depending on the hieght, with I think it's floors 60 and up having some nice large floor plans with balconies on the west elevation. East elevation for most of the mid to highest floors has the many more of the same large suites but no balconies and not quite as many windows. Some great corner suites with wraparound windows and some balconies. Floors 64-66 are not available for purchase yet however. Worth a look IMO.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Overall for my club seats, I went to 14 regular season games, 2 playoff games and came out even, the first round of the playoffs definitely helped. 2 minutes after I listed home game 2, it sold out which essentially covered my two playoff games I went to, profit wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad