Salary Cap: Season starts soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
I would think they'd want Malkin and Hornqvist working together as much as possible if they are going to be a duo, this year. Seems odd. But whatever... first day of camp. It also sounds like they have designs on moving Dupuis up in the lineup as LW (likely w/ Malkin) as they see fit. Which really shouldn't surprise anyone.

Really, really nice to hear Bennett looks solid.

I thought I read somewhere that Geno and Horny skated together over the summer a few times

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013

I might cry if we have to watch Dupuis-Malkin-Hornqvist

Plotnikov-Bonino-Bennett might be one of the ugliest skating lines

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Pretty much my thoughts. I don't think people realize how terrible of a skater Bonino is. He's going to need his wingers to be able to move. Plotnikov and Bennett are probably our slowest.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Fixed the tweet for you.

I'm not too concerned about the skating of Plotnikov-Bonino-Bennett to be honest, that line is pretty skilled offensively. I'm more concerned with the defensive play of that entire line than I am of the skating of that line. Still, that's a damn good 3rd line to start the year.

I'm also very curious to see what the plan is when Fehr gets healthy if the rest of the team is healthy. We have like 6 3rd line forwards in Fehr, Dupuis, Kunitz, Bonino, Bennett and Plotnikov. While 1 will be in the top-6, 2 will get pushed to the 4th line. If Bennett is playing as well as he is, who do you send down? I don't think it's realistic to expect them to put Dupuis on the 4th line, Plotnikov was specifically called a top-9 forward, Bonino is a lock in the 3C spot, Fehr is too good to be put on the 4th line and Bennett would be too good if the reports are true. It probably won't be a problem because we'll definitely get shrekt with injuries, but it would be a nice problem to have in a month and a half.

Pretty much my thoughts. I don't think people realize how terrible of a skater Bonino is. He's going to need his wingers to be able to move. Plotnikov and Bennett are probably our slowest.

Idk, I think it would be better to have 3 wingers who are all around the same speed than it would be to have 1 really slow guy with 2 really fast guys. The fast guys would have to slow down to compensate for the slow guys.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm gonna try to not read too much into pre-season game lines, let alone training camp drill combinations.

.....try.

What are you talking about? Everything that happens today will 100% be happening all season without doubt. DON'T DENY IT.

Morrow for one.

I really don't think Morrow was pissed away, because he was not good for WBS in 12-13 and he ended up being nothing as a pro hockey player. That may be mostly in hindsight, but I'm not too broken up about that. B Morrow was very good for us that year before his knees exploded.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=41283

Kessel will not play Monday... will debut as a Pen at home tuesday

I'm guessing that means Malkin's line will play on Monday and Crosby's line will play on Tuesday.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Sheary-Cullen-Kessel

Looks like The Phil is getting slightly better line mates than Geno this year haha

And their D pair is Gonchar - Clendening

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I know it's the first day of camp, and I don't want to be bothered by whatever nonsense they're doing with the lines, but I kind of feel like it might be a pretty decent idea to try to get guys who will actually play together some familiarity with each other.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sheary-Cullen-Kessel

Looks like The Phil is getting slightly better line mates than Geno this year haha

Those linemates are better than the ones he had in Toronto :laugh:

While we shouldn't read into the forward lines, I think reading into the D pairs is a safe thing to do. It looks like Maatta-Letang, Dumoulin-Cole and Pouliot-Lovejoy will be our top-6 from the D pairs from today.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Morrow for one.

List of subpar defensive moves in the last two regimes:

1. Trading Despres for Lovejoy
2. Trading Morrow for Morrow.
3. Losing Strait to Waivers
4. Failing to play, then trading Lovejoy in his prime for a late rounder because we didnt have room for him.
5. letting Martin walk for nothing
6. Letting Niskenan walk for nothing
7. Letting Orpik walk for nothing
8. Resigning Eaton which backlogged the development of Various Young Defensemen, particularly Despres
9. See above but put scuderi in there
10. See above but put Earhoff in there

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
Isn't Beau buddies with Bozak?

If that's the case... would it be fair to say Beau and Kessel are destined to be boys?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

4. Failing to play, then trading Lovejoy in his prime for a late rounder because we didnt have room for him.
8. Resigning Eaton which backlogged the development of Various Young Defensemen, particularly Despres

The bolded isn't pissing away our D depth. Strait sucks, Morrow ended up being nothing in the NHL and Lovejoy only had the value of a late round pick when we traded him the first time. The only legit one you mentioned was Despres.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Well, because Cole's pairing will get the most minutes after Letang and Maatta. Pouliot still has plenty of work to do in the defensive zone and I don't think it'd be wise to give him that many minutes. Plus, I just feel that Dumoulin is more ready for the NHL than DP.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

1. Yes
2. Morrow isnt good
3. Strait isn't good
4. Sure I guess
5-7. That's how vets on good teams work. It definitely wasn't pissed away.
8-10. That's not pissing away depth.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
I know it's the first day of camp, and I don't want to be bothered by whatever nonsense they're doing with the lines, but I kind of feel like it might be a pretty decent idea to try to get guys who will actually play together some familiarity with each other.

Isn't it better to see how the less proven players can play with top players... early in camp? Much more about finding out what they can do then to preparing for gm1 IMO

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know how trading Morrow for Morrow is pissing away depth when Boston is about 2 weeks away from putting Morrow on waivers (where he will go unclaimed). Morrow isn't good, his offensive game never translated over from juniors. The only reason people thought he was pissed away was because he was a 1st rounder, but him being a 1st rounder doesn't make him and better of a prospect now.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Morrow ended up not being any good. You cant piss away something that's no good, ditto Samuelson.

Doesn't matter what he ended up being, at the time he held a lot of value and Shero made a ****** trade. That and he's still just what... 22? Pretty young to be saying he's a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad