Pre-Game Talk: Season Opener: Panthers at Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Tampa is going to kill us. They actually know how to score goals. We (for some ridiculously stupid reason) scratched the only player who seems to know how to score without it being a lucky fluke or bounce.

The Panther Way!

6-1 Bolts

7-0

Kopecky gets waived after the game

Gordonx11

#CatsAreComing
Jan 21, 2013
Kansas City, MO
All this ******** on Kopecky is nonsense. Does anybody remember how good he was in the half season two years ago? He was one of our ONLY bright spots. I remember him game after game getting to the front of the net just to get destroyed by some defenseman or goalie(looking at you vokoun). No matter how many times he was on the end of what should of been a suspension type penalty he kept going back. Now I'm not saying last year he wasn't terrible. Because he was. However lets give the guy a chance because we all know he can be a pretty special player when he's on his game.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
All this ******** on Kopecky is nonsense. Does anybody remember how good he was in the half season two years ago? He was one of our ONLY bright spots. I remember him game after game getting to the front of the net just to get destroyed by some defenseman or goalie(looking at you vokoun). No matter how many times he was on the end of what should of been a suspension type penalty he kept going back. Now I'm not saying last year he wasn't terrible. Because he was. However lets give the guy a chance because we all know he can be a pretty special player when he's on his game.
I wouldn't feel any regret if he were to go "find" his game with another team, and we put a younger guy in his place.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

This is a very good point.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014

so? should we retire his number cuz he had a couple of good months two years ago? jeesh

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

Time goes by. I remember Bure being a great goal scorer sometime ago doesn't mean he can do it now

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I'm not satisfied with those lines. How you leave Pirri out, after proving he can score in camp is ridiculous. Isn't that what camp is about? So we go with Kopecky because he is a "veteran?" He may be a veteran but he proved how useless he was, which I agree with, is a slap in the face to Pirri who actually proved he can bring worth to this club. Asinine. I'd feel gutted too.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm not satisfied with those lines. How you leave Pirri out, after proving he can score in camp is ridiculous. Isn't that what camp is about? So we go with Kopecky because he is a "veteran?" He may be a veteran but he proved how useless he was, which I agree with, is a slap in the face to Pirri who actually proved he can bring worth to this club. Asinine. I'd feel gutted too.

Yeah, he really deserves his spot. He's arguably our best sniper. Well, I wasn't expecting much against Tampa anyways.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
i have no issue with the lineup being the first game.

I want pirri on that second line.. but what can you do we have to start somewhere. They are throwing the vets out there game one against the lightning.
There was no way Thornton wasnt going to play this game. I think he will suprise alot of us with his descent skills.. But i kinda just want to watch him beat up Gudas...

Also having Kopecky on the 4th line is where he belongs... he can pest away there...
the issue with the lineup is flash is a dead spot if hes flash last year and not flash the previous few years...

Completely agree here. While I do think we overpaid him a tad, he'e the kind of intimidating physical presence we haven't had in a while. Like he did in Boston, I'm guaranteeing you he will turn in to a fan favorite that we all love. Pure energy player who kicks the crap out of people.

Also agree with your Flash point. If he comes out and looks anything like himself from last year, he will be gone from that line... in a flash. :sarcasm:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I like the addition of Thornton into the first game. He can set the tone if we're down early which happens a lot against Tampa. Shawn can actually provide offense where Parros was a horrible mistake here, Barch was a decent enforcer while he was here.

Is everyone forgetting we have one of the worst injury prone teams and Tallon has supplied us with depth on offense. As "AaronEkblad" pointed out, we need to start winning more divisional games and I think we're all tired of getting embarrassed by the Lightning.

The youth will push the vets and vica versa, this is what we wanted, to be a cap team with depth. The only knock is on our defense, I'd hope Tallon pulls the trigger before the 15-20 game mark like he usually does and package one of (Flash, Kopy, Shore) with a pick and get a top 6 d-man. The defense looks shaky right now and an injury to Soupy or Mitchell would give me nightmares.

Pirri and Hayes will get their turn, I trust Gallant until he gives me reason not to. I'm cautiously optimistic for this season because I want playoffs, I'll understand if we just miss but I will not accept another bottom 5 finish.

LET'S GO PANNNNNNNTHERRRRRRS!!!!​

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
I like the addition of Thornton into the first game. He can set the tone if we're down early which happens a lot against Tampa. Shawn can actually provide offense where Parros was a horrible mistake here, Barch was a better enforcer all the way around.

Is everyone forgetting we have one of the worst injury prone teams and Tallon has supplied us with depth on offense. As "AaronEkblad" pointed out, we need to start winning more divisional games and I think we're all tired of getting embarrassed by the Lightning.

The youth will push the vets and vica versa, this is what we wanted, to be a cap team with depth. The only knock is on our defense, I'd hope Tallon pulls the trigger before the 15-20 game mark like he usually does and package one of (Flash, Kopy, Shore) with a pick and get a top 6 d-man. The defense looks shaky right now and an injury to Soupy or Mitchell would give me nightmares.

Pirri and Hayes will get their turn, I trust Gallant until he gives me reason not to. I'm cautiously optimistic for this season because I want playoffs, I'll understand if we just miss but I will not accept another bottom 5 finish.

LET'S GO PANNNNNNNTHERRRRRRS!!!!​
Disagree. Barch was good but Thornton throws more hits and racks up more PIMs.

homegrizown

Feb 4, 2008
pembroke pines fl
i'm a huge pessimistic person, but wow. everyone on here playing coach and GM and then saying we are gonna lose 7-0

it's a brand new season. guys like kopecky and flash have been good players in this league. yea they were bad really bad last year. but who's to say they aren't some of the better players this year? contract years. so on and so forth

i would love to see hayes and pirri more then kopecky thats for sure. but neither fits the role he'll be playing. prob 7-8 minutes maybe 12 at max based on how sloppy we r and how many penalties we get. and assuming what everyone is saying in a 6-1 or 7-0 game then obviously you want some kind of defense. maybe what the coach sees is other players being more reliable in on the back check and there own zone.

either way it's one game. guys will be rotating in and out until the players prove themselves or a trade happens where then you can all rejoice that kopecky, bergy flash or someone on the last leg of their deal is dealt.

i'll be the optimist and say we come out 3-2

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
i'm a huge pessimistic person, but wow. everyone on here playing coach and GM and then saying we are gonna lose 7-0

it's a brand new season. guys like kopecky and flash have been good players in this league. yea they were bad really bad last year. but who's to say they aren't some of the better players this year? contract years. so on and so forth

i would love to see hayes and pirri more then kopecky thats for sure. but neither fits the role he'll be playing. prob 7-8 minutes maybe 12 at max based on how sloppy we r and how many penalties we get. and assuming what everyone is saying in a 6-1 or 7-0 game then obviously you want some kind of defense. maybe what the coach sees is other players being more reliable in on the back check and there own zone.

either way it's one game. guys will be rotating in and out until the players prove themselves or a trade happens where then you can all rejoice that kopecky, bergy flash or someone on the last leg of their deal is dealt.

i'll be the optimist and say we come out 3-2

I was saying 6-1 Tampa before today lol they're really good, I have high hopes for the next 4 games after that though.

homegrizown

Feb 4, 2008
pembroke pines fl
I was saying 6-1 Tampa before today lol they're really good, I have high hopes for the next 4 games after that though.

i agree Tampa is awesome have plenty of depth and quality all over. but its one game. i'm not gonna let the moves make me decide this team stinks and is stupid. Flash could be Flash the same as last year or he could be the one of all the other years where he's been a steady offensive player. and kopecky could just fill in his role and play a solid 4th line role.

at the end of the game either way i doubt anyone will blame those two players specifically.

i guess i'm just trying to be optimistic before i see the season go down the drain.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida

Feel the same way. Pirri looked really good out there, and he's the one sitting out? I don't like this at all.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Tallon is going to change his tune after we get a shelled a few a times by some offensive juggernauts like TB and PIT.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
My ideology is to go into every game looking to win. Therefore, we should have the best lineup on the ice our team can have. It's fair to give guys a chance to play and prove their worth, but we (the team) shouldn't have the mindset of putting guys out there just because they've played well in the past. Flash and Kopecky will have their chance, but if they're not performing enough to help us win, we shouldn't have to feel inclined to put them in just because they're making a lot of money or because they played good 2 years ago. That goes to all the guys too, I'm just specifying those two because they've been brought up about their playing in this thread. The past is the past and now is now. Let's get the season going boys!

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
It was a small sample size, but Pirri was pretty much our only consistent goal-scoring threat in the preseason. He had 2 of the 10. Just let that sink in..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad