Pre-Game Talk: Season Opener: Panthers at Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I figured since it's Monday it's late enough to post one of the few PGT's this board has, while everyone is still interested in the season :sarcasm:

I just grabbed the team lines of our board and the Lightning board, probably not accurate but good enough for now. Only meeting between these teams till March.

:panthers

Huberdeau-Barkov-Boyes
Pirri-Bjugstad-Jokinen
Fleischmann-Bolland-Upshall
Bergenheim-MacKenzie-Hayes

Scratches: Kopecky, Thornton

Kulikov-Gudbranson
Campbell-Ekblad
Mitchell-Olsen

Scratches-O'Brien

Luongo
Montoya

:bolts

Palat Stamkos Callahan
Killorn Fillpula Kucherov
Panik Johnson Connolly
Brown Boyle Morrow
IR: Drouin

Hedman Stralman
Carle Garrison
Brewer Gudas
Scratches: Sustr/Barberio

Bishop
Nabokov

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't have a good feeling about this one, but since in the last 2 years the Panthers have won their first game and then lost 5 straight, maybe they'll lose this one and then win 5 straight?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I was thinking I might want Bergy on that 3rd line to give him more ice time. The only danger is that Upshall and Bergenheim are pretty similar. Two grinders with a little bit of a scoring touch once and a while. Bolland will have to play the role of distributer. So, I'll leave Flash there but keep the leash really short.

Again, TB vs FLA. These guys are probably sick of seeing one another already. And FLA is probably sick of getting embarrassed by the Lightning. Well, all of last week can be totally erased with a win of course. But, a loss will probably set us up for a familiar string of losses, including one Saturday night against the old, but experienced Devils. It's up to them. You know what you're in for when you play the Lightning. So, prepare and execute properly. The learning curve is over.

Barkov, Bjugstad and Bolland are collectively bigger than Stamkos, Filppula and Johnson. They have to play like it or we're in for another skillset demonstration in TB on Thursday. And in the last shellacking, that Stamkos PP goal where he shot from the right side instead of the left.. The coverage was unacceptable. I just better not see that kind of crap on Thursday and then hear, well we need to be ready next time. Blah Blah Blah. I just don't want to hear nor see it again on opening day.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Honestly have tempered expectations for this one. Will put more emphasis on Saturday's game.
Things aren't too bad though, considering they scratched Kopecky. That should be a regular thing.
And hopefully Campbell doesn't hold the puck too long.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Honestly have tempered expectations for this one. Will put more emphasis on Saturday's game.
Things aren't too bad though, considering they scratched Kopecky. That should be a regular thing.

well these are not the final lineups lol

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Same, it's the home opener and they're facing a team that employs both Gomez and Clemmer on their starting roster.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Same, it's the home opener and they're facing a team that employs both Gomez and Clemmer on their starting roster.

even tho devils looks a little so-so on paper i think we're underestimatig the devils and what they can do with that veteran team. just a few hours ago i was very confident that "hey, if we loose to tb no worries we'll easily win over the devils" but now i'm not so sure..
anyway we should be able to beat them but i do think it'll be very close.

if we win against tb i think we'll loose against devils. it would be a total panthers thing to do ;D

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
What's Lou record as a PANTHER versus TB all time? Somehow I remembered he stood on his head a few times against them back in the day on poor clubs. Maybe 1 or 2 shutouts too without looking it up. He may be the saving grace, or this could get ugly fast @TB which usually seems to be a shooting bergade.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
TB, not only beating us, but beating us in convincing fashion has become a trend the past couple of seasons. They're a division rival. We will see them a lot. We must figure out a way to beat teams like them or we're gonna drop to the basement way sooner than later.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
would love it if the florida & tampa games would get a little more heated. i feel like it's kinda just friendly competition right now. i want the rivalry do become nuuuuutzzzz

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
even tho devils looks a little so-so on paper i think we're underestimatig the devils and what they can do with that veteran team.

I was impressed with their signings but first line aside they're awful, no defense and a guy on their board said Gomez was better than 5 of their forwards, that's McDavid talk :laugh:.

Tampa had a good offseason, Stamkos and Garrison on the same PP? :amazed:

TB, not only beating us, but beating us in convincing fashion has become a trend the past couple of seasons. They're a division rival. We will see them a lot. We must figure out a way to beat teams like them or we're gonna drop to the basement way sooner than later.

Meh with the new divisions you don't play a team much, one meeting in 6 months won't do much for a rivalry

Last edited:

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
what's lou record as a panther versus tb all time? Somehow i remembered he stood on his head a few times against them back in the day on poor clubs. Maybe 1 or 2 shutouts too without looking it up. He may be the saving grace, or this could get ugly fast @tb which usually seems to be a shooting bergade.

13-12, 2.44 gaa.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
would love it if the florida & tampa games would get a little more heated. i feel like it's kinda just friendly competition right now. i want the rivalry do become nuuuuutzzzz

Gotta meet up in the playoffs for that to happen/both teams competitive playing each other in regular season.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
I figured since it's Monday it's late enough to post one of the few PGT's this board has, while everyone is still interested in the season :sarcasm:

I just grabbed the team lines of our board and the Lightning board, probably not accurate but good enough for now. Only meeting between these teams till March.

:panthers

Huberdeau-Barkov-Boyes
Pirri-Bjugstad-Jokinen
Fleischmann-Bolland-Upshall
Bergenheim-MacKenzie-Hayes

Scratches: Kopecky, Thornton

Kulikov-Gudbranson
Campbell-Ekblad
Mitchell-Olsen

Scratches-O'Brien

Luongo
Montoya

:bolts

Palat Stamkos Callahan
Killorn Fillpula Kucherov
Panik Johnson Connolly
Brown Boyle Morrow
IR: Drouin

Hedman Stralman
Carle Garrison
Brewer Gudas
Scratches: Sustr/Barberio

Bishop
Nabokov
Pirri on the second line? I think you're overestimating him a little bit. Bergy played way too well last year to be demoted all the way to the fourth line. I'd also play Thornton over MacKenzie considering we need the enforcement and Thornton is making more money.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Pirri on the second line? I think you're overestimating him a little bit. Bergy played way too well last year to be demoted all the way to the fourth line. I'd also play Thornton over MacKenzie considering we need the enforcement and Thornton is making more money.
:huh:

He had 7 goals in 21 games last year and has arguably been the team's biggest offensive threat since the trade, including during the preseason. When does he start to credit for playing well?

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
:huh:

He had 7 goals in 21 games last year and has arguably been the team's biggest offensive threat since the trade, including during the preseason. When does he start to credit for playing well?

Sure he played well. But Bergenheim showed way too much last year to be demoted all the way to the fourth line. The guy hustled his ass off every game, was the best worker on the ice almost every game, showed awesome stick handling skills, scored some of the year's prettiest goals, etc. etc. You can't just take a guy like that and demote him to the fourth line because someone else had a good 21 games.

Huby-Barkov-Boyes
Bergy-Bjugs-Jokinen
Pirri-Bolland-Upshall
Flash-Thornton-Hayes

That's what I'd like to see for opening night.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

Thornton is a winger and MacKenzie is a center. MacKenzie is the perfect fourth line center as he kills penalties effectively and is a high energy player. I don't see how Thornton would get his spot.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Sure he played well. But Bergenheim showed way too much last year to be demoted all the way to the fourth line. The guy hustled his ass off every game, was the best worker on the ice almost every game, showed awesome stick handling skills, scored some of the year's prettiest goals, etc. etc. You can't just take a guy like that and demote him to the fourth line.

Huby-Barkov-Boyes
Bergy-Bjugs-Jokinen
Pirri-Bolland-Upshall
Flash-Thornton-Hayes

It doesn't matter how he played last year. Gallant should ice whatever team gives the Panthers the best shot at winning and Pirri is a better offensive player than Bergenheim. Pirri and Bjugstad could also do quite a bit of damage together as they seem to have complementary styles. Bergenheim would be really effective on a line with Bolland and Upshall, as well.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Thornton is a winger and MacKenzie is a center. MacKenzie is the perfect fourth line center as he kills penalties effectively and is a high energy player. I don't see how Thornton would get his spot.

He's played at center and been fine. I wouldn't be against Mac at center and Thornton on one of the wings on that line either though. As long as Thornton is there. Thornton was also a fan favorite in Boston and he will be the same here. Pure energy guy who kicks the **** out of people.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Sure he played well. But Bergenheim showed way too much last year to be demoted all the way to the fourth line. The guy hustled his ass off every game, was the best worker on the ice almost every game, showed awesome stick handling skills, scored some of the year's prettiest goals, etc. etc. You can't just take a guy like that and demote him to the fourth line because someone else had a good 21 games.

Huby-Barkov-Boyes
Bergy-Bjugs-Jokinen
Pirri-Bolland-Upshall
Flash-Thornton-Hayes
Bergy also missed a ton of scoring chances. Pirri is our best bet for the team's goal scoring lead, a thing that we've all been moaning about since basically forever.

Your above line-up makes more sense, though I'd still prefer Pirri getting more minutes. The thing about Bergenheim is, that he's going to work his ass off no matter what line he's playing on. He isn't going to quit just because he gets bumped down a line, that's what he's made for - can move up in the line-up if necessary.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Lightning have no goons and Mackenzie is infinitely better than Thornton, and you don't see an associate captain scratched often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad