Season ending interviews

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This seems to be an issue with nearly all the Canadian teams.

Calgary, toxic room with Sutter and a meddling owner.

Ditto for Vancouver
Ottawa under Melynek was a laughing stock.
Edmonton had an awful culture based on Katz loving his old boys club and keeping them around.

Maybe Canadian owners are too much of fans and they then think they know better then perhaps their American counterparts.

Things seemingly turned around in Edmonton once Katz stepped back and put Nicolson in to oversee that aspect of the organization.

I think we are in a similar spot here with Chipman being too involved and having to big of a relationship with his hockey opps department and players. I think he needs to do similar to Katz and step back and allow someone to come in and oversee the team without his meddling.
100% agree. Bring in a president of hockey operations without a single tie to anyone in the organization or any player. Allow them to set a new course starting with the hiring of a new GM.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
John Olfert will be speaking.

So they have John up there for an hour (interesting). The upside is he is an inside player that is very familiar with all the elements of things like the CBA and every little detail of their business. I was pretty surprised when his role expanded from CFO-COO to President and COO. They use to have Ludlow in that role but moved him into the Real Estate division. Jim was more suited to the public facing aspect of the Presidents job.

It will be interesting to see how much John shares. Yes he will be grinding for Season ticket sales but I think that is to be expected.

Maybe we could set up a GDT day of? :sarcasm:

Give us a review of his speech if you don't mind.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So they have John up there for an hour (interesting). The upside is he is an inside player that is very familiar with all the elements of things like the CBA and every little detail of their business. I was pretty surprised when his role expanded from CFO-COO to President and COO. They use to have Ludlow in that role but moved him into the Real Estate division. Jim was more suited to the public facing aspect of the Presidents job.

It will be interesting to see how much John shares. Yes he will be grinding for Season ticket sales but I think that is to be expected.

Maybe we could set up a GDT day of? :sarcasm:

Give us a review of his speech if you don't mind.

I'll take notes and provide an update.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This seems to be an issue with nearly all the Canadian teams.

Calgary, toxic room with Sutter and a meddling owner.

Ditto for Vancouver
Ottawa under Melynek was a laughing stock.
Edmonton had an awful culture based on Katz loving his old boys club and keeping them around.

Maybe Canadian owners are too much of fans and they then think they know better then perhaps their American counterparts.

Things seemingly turned around in Edmonton once Katz stepped back and put Nicolson in to oversee that aspect of the organization.

I think we are in a similar spot here with Chipman being too involved and having to big of a relationship with his hockey opps department and players. I think he needs to do similar to Katz and step back and allow someone to come in and oversee the team without his meddling.

100% agree. Bring in a president of hockey operations without a single tie to anyone in the organization or any player. Allow them to set a new course starting with the hiring of a new GM.

IMO This would be the #1 hire this org needs to create separation between owner and team but it will never happen. I sense Mark thinks he is a "hockey guy" and as a diehard jock I imagine he love/hates being in the middle of it all.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
So who are some gm's or management prospects you guys (or others) have?
IMO This would be the #1 hire this org needs to create separation between owner and team but it will never happen. I sense Mark thinks he is a "hockey guy" and as a diehard jock I imagine he love/hates being in the middle of it all.

Reactions: ps241

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

Fortunately, I do think he is a smart man and will eventually figure that out - that perhaps stepping back will lead to the team stepping forward

how long it will take is anyones guess. Maybe right now is the perfect summer storm for serious change at the top so that things can trickle down

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So who are some gm's or management prospects you guys (or others) have?

I am in over my head on the topic. It starts with the right hire that can build a wall between Mark and the hockey operations.
Mike Stapleton as President of Hockey Ops and Eric Tulsky for GM.

Tulsky will be hired this summer by someone. I am not sure how he would be with certain aspects of the job because I don't really know him but he could build a plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

None

Feb 22, 2012
Tulsky will be hired this summer by someone. I am not sure how he would be with certain aspects of the job because I don't really know him but he could build a plan.

I have little doubt that he's going to get scooped by another team.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
How many of those smart ass 16 year olds make it to the big league?
My guess would be ZERO.

True... this was the lowest tier... "they just wanted to have fun"...

The reality is... no one likes getting their ass kicked... and many like to blame others for their failures...

For various reasons... it doesn't matter the reasons... it matters if it's you not playing as a team and blaming others... that's a failure on an ice surface...

It's a super failure in every day life...

You want to win in life... ? Be a team player... focus on yourself to fill a role to serve the team...

I have spent My whole life facilitating this process... with kids... adults... professional designations... volunteer groups... private business... and public government, unionized environments...

My goal with those kids was to teach those kids to be winners... win or lose...

Take what they could from the experience to help with the rest of their lives... that's most amateur volunteer coaching.. or should be...

None of those kids made any pro league... I know that...

But some of them are leaders in their professions... a couple others are very good teachers... one is even an active high level coach in hockey at the amateur level with a goal to make it his living... and he's good at it apparently...

Those stories make Me happy...

Better than ZERO...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Fortunately, I do think he is a smart man and will eventually figure that out - that perhaps stepping back will lead to the team stepping forward

how long it will take is anyones guess. Maybe right now is the perfect summer storm for serious change at the top so that things can trickle down

The biggest challenge for smart ultra successful people is knowing when they are in the way. The few I know are fixers and doers and when things are going wrong they tend to dig in harder. It’s what got them to the top. Add in that from what I have heard (I have had close friends work for the Moose over the years) Mark loves being around it (honestly what Canadian kid that loves Hockey wouldn’t).

I have trouble imagining him stepping back for the good of the team. I hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: roccerfeller

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For those who haven’t heard Shanny’s interview I recommend you listen to the first 20 minutes or so of the 32 Thoughts podcast.

Wow is all I can say about how incredibly direct and detailed Brendan was about the situation. Not sure why he chose this path but it’s entertaining to listen to.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

don't really know where to put this but stastny talks a bit about the jets at 1:27:40

The whole podcast is only 1:26:36 long ... are you sure you got the time stamp right? I'm trying to find it myself without luck (don't have an hour and a half to listen to the whole thing).

EDIT: Found it ... it's at about 1:23:10

Says he got no pushback for what he said at the end of the year last year and says he likes the honesty that they have in Winnipeg, specifically stating Chevy pulls no punches. That's about all he said. Not sure how much insight it gives, but if true, things are different behind the scenes than they appear on the outside IMO.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad