Season ending interviews

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
The whole podcast is only 1:26:36 long ... are you sure you got the time stamp right? I'm trying to find it myself without luck (don't have an hour and a half to listen to the whole thing).
did you open up one of the apps like apple, spotify or google? I just listened to it off their website and he starts talking about winnipeg about 1:27ish

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The whole podcast is only 1:26:36 long ... are you sure you got the time stamp right? I'm trying to find it myself without luck (don't have an hour and a half to listen to the whole thing).

EDIT: Found it ... it's at about 1:23:10

Says he got no pushback for what he said at the end of the year last year and says he likes the honesty that they have in Winnipeg, specifically stating Chevy pulls no punches. That's about all he said. Not sure how much insight it gives, but if true, things are different behind the scenes than they appear on the outside IMO.

Interesting, well not surprising that Chevy is honest behind closed doors. I think the org does try to bend over backwards to protect the players in public and that can rub rans and media the wrong way.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
What the Florida Panthers are doing in these playoffs with Paul Maurice behind the bench... just shows me more how totally funking dysfunctional the Jets are.

How dysfunctional of a set of players do you have to be to make a coach that has coached as long as Paul Maurice has... to make Maurice HATE hockey so much that he had to fire himself to get away from this team for his own personal well being?

The Panthers were struggling, so Maurice goes ballistic on the bench for a couple of minutes ( in public ) and what does the team do? They win the game they were in and then go on to make the playoffs and are 1 game away from going to the ECF. No player on the team calling out the coach for being publicly called out for their bad play. No player whining about being picked on. They manned up and got the job done.

The Jets mailed it in for game #5 ( mailed it in so badly they should have been wearing Canada Post uniforms ) against Vegas, so Bowness comes out after the game and spends ~50 seconds telling them in public how he felt about their play. So instead of the players coming out and saying, yes, they did not play well... they spend all their time criticizing the coach for saying they sucked in public and they felt they were unjustly being called out.

Why do I get the feeling that every time Bowness leaves the Jets dressing room, Wheeler gets up in front of everyone and says..." Who is this guy who thinks he can come in this dressing room and tell us what to do"

This team is a f***ing mess.
Great post, wish I could like it more than once.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It's the owner's job to sell the fans on the team and why should we pay to see the games, but our owner never talks in the press and other than some canned emails, we never hear from him... so, then the talking should fall to the president of hockey operations, but we don't have one of those.... so, then it has to fall to the GM, except our GM only talks to the press maybe 4 times a season and then what he has to say doesn't say anything because the GM has the skill to talk for 40 minutes and not say anything.

This is why the fans are disillusioned. No one is telling us anything.

None

Feb 22, 2012
It's the owner's job to sell the fans on the team and why should we pay to see the games, but our owner never talks in the press and other than some canned emails, we never hear from him... so, then the talking should fall to the president of hockey operations, but we don't have one of those.... so, then it has to fall to the GM, except our GM only talks to the press maybe 4 times a season and then what he has to say doesn't say anything because the GM has the skill to talk for 40 minutes and not say anything.

This is why the fans are disillusioned. No one is telling us anything.

They also have a couple executives on the business half of things that I'm guessing most of the fanbase doesn't even know their names or even that they exist at all.

Reactions: Stumbledore

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
For those who haven’t heard Shanny’s interview I recommend you listen to the first 20 minutes or so of the 32 Thoughts podcast.

Wow is all I can say about how incredibly direct and detailed Brendan was about the situation. Not sure why he chose this path but it’s entertaining to listen to.
Shanahan was just following orders, speaking for the multi-billion dollar co-owners of the Leafs, who were proactively protecting their brand. It's all business, all the time, with Rogers and BCE.

With all his considerable strengths as a person and GM, Dubas was never the best negotiator and I think he mistakenly took on the meanest SOBs in town in trying to renegotiate at the last minute, after showing weakness* at the end of the season.

*weakness=admitting the job took a huge toll on his family and made him ambivalent as to whether this was the right job for him, long term. Been there, done that...

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Shanahan was just following orders, speaking for the multi-billion dollar co-owners of the Leafs, who were proactively protecting their brand. It's all business, all the time, with Rogers and BCE.

With all his considerable strengths as a person and GM, Dubas was never the best negotiator and I think he mistakenly took on the meanest SOBs in town in trying to renegotiate at the last minute, after showing weakness* at the end of the season.

*weakness=admitting the job took a huge toll on his family and made him ambivalent as to whether this was the right job for him, long term. Been there, done that...

Yup Dubas overplayed his hand after the season and now he’s on to his next adventure. It’s interesting Shanny survived to fight another day.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yup Dubas overplayed his hand after the season and now he’s on to his next adventure. It’s interesting Shanny survived to fight another day.

I'm not so sure about that. More is coming out and it seems that this was about more then cash. It seems there was a battle for control as well. Dubas wanted autonomy and Shanahan didn't want to give any up. Seems to me this is just a negotiation that had two entrenched parties.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not so sure about that. More is coming out and it seems that this was about more then cash. It seems there was a battle for control as well. Dubas wanted autonomy and Shanahan didn't want to give any up. Seems to me this is just a negotiation that had two entrenched parties.

From what Friedman said (speculated) Rogers and Bell don’t like surprises in negotiations so when Dubas took it public (and possibly moved the goalposts) it might have been his undoing. I agree he would have been angling for more control and autonomy which is fair game, but he didn’t keep it behind closed doors.

Who knows really Dubas may take his side of the story public or he will leak to Mirtle again. He might be wise to take the high road now since he is auditioning for his next job now.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
From what Friedman said (speculated) Rogers and Bell don’t like surprises in negotiations so when Dubas took it public (and possibly moved the goalposts) it might have been his undoing. I agree he would have been angling for more control and autonomy which is fair game, but he didn’t keep it behind closed doors.

Who knows really Dubas may take his side of the story public or he will leak to Mirtle again. He might be wise to take the high road now since he is auditioning for his next job now.

Who knows. Or perhaps he was angling not to be brought back with his power play. Who really knows. I'm sure he'll have no real issue getting another gig when he wants one.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Who knows. Or perhaps he was angling not to be brought back with his power play. Who really knows. I'm sure he'll have no real issue getting another gig when he wants one.

From all the info we learned. They had a deal on the table to bring him back. Then he went public with his comments which I think made the upper Leafs brass question if he was the right man for the job. Then he goes silent before his agent approached Shanny again with a counter offer for more money and autonomy and I've seen it mentioned that he also had another offer on the table from another team, though not sure if that was true or just a bluff. Dubas also emailed Shanny around that time saying he did want to be the GM of the Leafs and walking back some of his presser comments.

Seems like it was all a play by Dubas and his agent to get more money and autonomy out of the Leafs brass and it ended up backfiring. But yeah like you said, very likely he gets another shot at a gig very soon. If he did have an offer on the table it likely was from either Calgary or Pittsburgh as both have open GM positions. I expect him to either be in a Pres or GM role for Pittsburgh before long.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

Absolutely. I'm sure that anyone who has worked for them can attest to that. Watch what happens with Odog, they gave into the pressure and re-upped him, but they'll be investigating other options.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

He will be a desired commodity for sure.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone follow the nba? Not me. But I watched a bit of the finals game last night. And was reminded a bit of Bowness through several points during the year.

Head coach of Nuggets called out his team for terrible effort, non existent defense, and was overall perplexed on their lack of effort or desire ("This is not the preseason, this is not the regular season. This is the NBA Finals.")

How do they respond? Domination the other night. Their best players (jokic and Murray) carried them to the W.

How do the Jets respond to that 🤔

Reactions: macmaroon

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Head coach of Nuggets called out his team for terrible effort, non existent defense, and was overall perplexed on their lack of effort or desire ("This is not the

How do they respond? Domination the other night. Their best players (jokic and Murray) carried them to the W.

How do the Jets respond to that 🤔
We saw Jets response. Whining to the press in their end of season interviews. Bunch of entitled babies with no character IMO. Really hope changes happen this summer but not holding my breath.

Reactions: Bigfish and DRW204

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
We saw Jets response. Whining to the press in their end of season interviews. Bunch of entitled babies with no character IMO. Really hope changes happen this summer but not holding my breath.
7jzyw8.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad