Player Discussion Sean Monahan

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Why is the price set at a 1st minimum? The Lindholm return was a 1st+Prospect+4th. Kuzmenko, while there is potential, is a cap dump. Players with his cap hit, term, and production arent positive assets in the NHL anymore. They get dealt away to make cap work or given to bottom feeders for free.

Monahan *MIGHT* get a 1st, especially if MTL takes a bad contract back. I think a 2nd is more likely though unless a team strikes out and just needs someone.

Please explain why Kuzmenko is a cap dump - the guy scored 39 last year and wasn’t used the same way this year. He’s a major piece for Calgary.

Top 6 players at 5.5M are not cap dumps.

Reactions: LaP

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I know your posting style buddy, I appreciate it and you crack me up a lot too. Say whatever you want. Who cares if I’m having a hissy fit!

Also, it does not take much for this board to light up. :D
you better believe it, love the comments on here

bottom line I covet a top prospect... bad
keep me honest!!! LOL

• Haha
Reactions: FloJack

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Please explain why Kuzmenko is a cap dump - the guy scored 39 last year and wasn’t used the same way this year. He’s a major piece for Calgary.

Top 6 players at 5.5M are not cap dumps.
Is he a top 6 player? Apparently he does not play a 2 way game. He might be another slightly better Hoffman.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I forgot every team needed Selke winners at every position.

Does Quinn Hughes block shots? No? Gotta get rid of him then.
Blocking shots has nothing to do with anything. Doing nothing in the defensive zone or never going in the defensive zone is a red flag. Don't know if it's true but they wanted to get rid of him.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Indeed it's rare...

It did happen with us not that long ago, and not to any success (Plekanec). I'm too lazy to dig around for the other cases, but it's not as far fetched as you suggest imo.
I think if management truly covets the player they have to lock him up. They can’t let him go with a non binding verbal agreement. He leaves and loves his new team and you make him think about other options. It’s not worth the risk if you believe in the player for a late first.

If injuries are a concern a playoff grind for another team is not a great option either. More rest to make sure these issues are fully behind him are exactly what the doctor ordered imo.

Reactions: Miller Time

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think if management truly covets the player they have to lock him up. They can’t let him go with a non binding verbal agreement. He leaves and loves his new team and you make him think about other options. It’s not worth the risk if you believe in the player for a late first.

If injuries are a concern a playoff grind for another team is not a great option either. More rest to make sure these issues are fully behind him are exactly what the doctor ordered imo.
If he doesn't come back then so be it, a longterm contract will age like milk

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I know the logical thing to do is to trade him for a King's ransom but the value he brings with helping our young players cannot be ignored. I am good either way, take him or extend him.

Reactions: NewDef

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
The "Sit Monahan until the deadline" argument is flawed.

So they sit Monahan (~3rd best player, annoying the players on the team).

31 other GMs see that, and think "Gee, I wonder why they are sitting this guy two months from the trade deadline? They must be pretty concerned about the likelihood of injury to cripple their team that much. Let's wait a bit and see who's available in March."

Then what? You just wait, for weeks and months waiting to see if a GM calls you on Monahan? What happens to his value as he sits out?

Yeah, Monahan is an injury risk, and yeah in a perfect world they'd move him early to reduce the risk, but they need a good offer to make a trade. It takes two to tango.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Ultimately he's not irreplaceable, and as it is we do have 4 NHL caliber Cs signed heading into next season, so imo if there is a good offer on the table and he's keen on the playoff shot, it's a no-brainer to pull the trigger. If he's indicating he far prefers staying without the playoff taste, then I'd be fine with the extension instead.

Does he have kids? I'd imagine that if so, the extension right now might be preferable. If not, I think the trade and re-sign in the summer remains the best case scenario if not sides are open/favorable to it

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Proven top 6-9 who can play all positions is 56% on faceoffs, plays both special teams and has about 1M in salary to absorb?

Come on... The debate on whether or not he can fetch alot at the deadline is ridiculous.
Thing is, who is willing to take a big risk with a player who can go on LTIR the moment he steps out of the plane? We already got a 1st for him, and we were rewarded by having him capable of being healthy til all star break. Lets' hope he can fetch 2nd + prospect. 1st will be like winning a lottery.

Reactions: 417

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Thing is, who is willing to take a big risk with a player who can go on LTIR the moment he steps out of the plane? We already got a 1st for him, and we were rewarded by having him capable of being healthy til all star break. Lets' hope he can fetch 2nd + prospect. 1st will be like winning a lottery.
Scarcity determines value. Only 1 centre left. Multiple bidders. Someone will have to pay up.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
If i was Ken Hughes, i won't trade Monahen with retain, i keep it for Allen trade

Reactions: dralaf

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
If i was Ken Hughes, i won't trade Monahen with retain, i keep it for Allen trade
I think Monahan would cost 500k on the cap at the deadline. We dont need to retain on such a cheap contract

I know the logical thing to do is to trade him for a King's ransom but the value he brings with helping our young players cannot be ignored. I am good either way, take him or extend him.
He will be looking for atleast a 5 years deal. Personally Im not ready to sign him that long. To trade him is the best avenue for our team

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
weren't there reports of a handshake deal to trade him to a contender? i would think that would indicate he doesn't want to be here long term. get as much as you can out of him before the deadline and move on.

sure he'd be a good stopgap while the top 9 solidifies itself over the next 1 to 2 years - namely while Dach proves he can be the guy for a full, injury-free season and Owen Beck hopefully becomes a producing 3rd line center - but Monahan is going to want a 3 or 4 year deal and i just can't see that aging in the Habs' favour.

Reactions: dralaf and Pat Riot

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We are getting at least a 1st at this point, and then we are re-signing him in the off-season to another 1 year deal and turning him into a 1st at the 2025 deadline. 3 1st's for Monahan in total.
How wrong can you be? We can do that for the next 3-4-5 years. So it's not 3 1st but as many as 6.:sarcasm:

Just let's think about trading him for this year before the screws start to fall out.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Proven top 6-9 who can play all positions is 56% on faceoffs, plays both special teams and has about 1M in salary to absorb?

Come on... The debate on whether or not he can fetch alot at the deadline is ridiculous.
Our fanbase has the fascinating ability to both vastly underrate and grossly overrate Habs players' value. We're an intense bunch.

I agree with you about Monahan's value. We won't get the Lindholm return, of course, but the ballpark for me is at least a 1st and small plus, or a prospect selected in the 1st round recently and his trending well.

Let HuGo cook.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
weren't there reports of a handshake deal to trade him to a contender? i would think that would indicate he doesn't want to be here long term. get as much as you can out of him before the deadline and move on.

sure he'd be a good stopgap while the top 9 solidifies itself over the next 1 to 2 years - namely while Dach proves he can be the guy for a full, injury-free season and Owen Beck hopefully becomes a producing 3rd line center - but Monahan is going to want a 3 or 4 year deal and i just can't see that aging in the Habs' favour.

If he wins a cup he may be incentivized to come
back here, if he gets a taste of that sweet sweet stanley, he may just come back here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad