Player Discussion Sean Monahan

durojean

May 29, 2007
I'd say: two years ago...
Suzuki is Suzuki : still progressing and putting a lot of effort. He will probably become a 60 pts center. The best we had in a lot of time.

Monahan : He is an ex 60 pts player who can still produce at least 40 pts. He is good on faceoff and as a lot of upside because he even had a 80pts season in 2018/2019

Dvorak : He is a stable good defensive center with offensive upside. He is big and good on faceoff. A perfect 3rd line center.

Dach : He is the equivalent of KK. He's got a lot of upside but it could go either way. He is our center project.

Evans : He's been progressing every year.

When you compare that to :

Danault
rookie Suzuki
rookie KK

I feel like maybe

Desharnais
Plekanec
Eller

Was the last time we where that deep at center. And those are even debatable.

Our centerline now has a lot to prove. But you can actually see the potential on those ones.

Reactions: Durvann

durojean

May 29, 2007
Danault
Domi
Kk
Suzuki/Thompson
Is better
I'm not so sure but considering Domi had a 72pts season you are probably right.

Danault, Suzuki and KK were really really green in that season. I think we have that to take into consideration also.

We have more experience. It all depends on what kind of play Monahan and Dach will show us.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Suzuki is Suzuki : still progressing and putting a lot of effort. He will probably become a 60 pts center. The best we had in a lot of time.

Monahan : He is an ex 60 pts player who can still produce at least 40 pts. He is good on faceoff and as a lot of upside because he even had a 80pts season in 2018/2019

Dvorak : He is a stable good defensive center with offensive upside. He is big and good on faceoff. A perfect 3rd line center.

Dach : He is the equivalent of KK. He's got a lot of upside but it could go either way. He is our center project.

Danault
rookie Suzuki
rookie KK

I feel like maybe

Desharnais
Plekanec
Eller

Our centerline now has a lot to prove. But you can actually see the potential on those ones.

Its interesting for sure but I don't think of Monahan as a future core piece. Perhaps if he reinvents himself as a solid 3rd/4th liner?

Nobody knows if he can still produce 40 points. I'm not suuuuper high on this C depth, Dach is the only one beside Suzuki with some solid potential and he's currently a project - if he turns out a good 2C with Dvorak being a good 3C that's be real nice though, big IF.

That said I'm happy with the trade. Monahan came with a first rounder and fills a slot that we don't have depth in. By all account a really good guy with a great work ethic and passion. Even his injuries became worst than originally because he played through them for so long - hopefully that's one aspect he learned from and can pass down to our young guys.

Reactions: pth2

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Danault
rookie Suzuki
rookie KK

I feel like maybe

Desharnais
Plekanec
Eller

Suzuki is already a 60 pt C.. he put up 61 this year in a garbage year and he's only 23. I'd put higher aspirations on him than that. Maybe not 80+ or anything but definitely 70+ is well within his range.

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022

Danault
rookie Suzuki
rookie KK

I feel like maybe

Desharnais
Plekanec
Eller

KK was trending better at that time than Dach is now. Danault as well compared to 22 Dvorak. Suzuki is more proven obviously but still not elite yet. Monahan doesn't tip the scale.

So all in all, pretty similar situation to two years ago, even the preseason optimism is in the same ba park apparently.

durojean

May 29, 2007
KK was trending better at that time than Dach is now. Danault as well compared to 22 Dvorak. Suzuki is more proven obviously but still not elite yet. Monahan doesn't tip the scale.

So all in all, pretty similar situation to two years ago, even the preseason optimism is in the same ba park apparently.
It really was KK's rookie season. He could not trend better. We had no expectations for him

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Monahan is damaged goods, like getting current Gallagher but on the last year of his deal. I have no expectations for him beyond that he can play on a fourth line.
At least Monahan has some skills. There's still some small hope he can bounce back.

Reactions: Runner77

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
From what I've read, Monahan is the Galaghers's Flames. He's been a solid warrior for the Flames but today he's 75% of what he was. He come back in mid november from an injury. Habs will tank next year but they'll pick berween 5 to 9 th. Not 2 to 5 like if Monahan wasn't there. But next year he can have a better season if he heal enough. Not sure it's such a good move.

At least Monahan has some skills. There's still some small hope he can bounce back.
You said it : small. :skeptic:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Id say this impacts Dvorak more than Dach. Dvorak is much easier to move now that we have someone to take on minutes like Monahan.
I was thinking of Dach not even having a contract so this could give the Habs more leverage in that they don't have to give him something they don't want as they should have enough centers even without him.

Kiss Under the Guy

Mar 21, 2022
It really was KK's rookie season. He could not trend better. We had no expectations for him
KK was drafted and a rookie in 2018. We're in 2022. Anyways, I was not trying to prove you wrong here, maybe you were less high on KK than I was two years ago. To me, he was coming off a great bubble playoffs. Dach isn't there at the moment

I'm not impressed with our centers this year. I'm hopeful they'll all be better than last year (and 2020 season for that matter), but as things stand now, with rationality pushing hope aside, it's not even close to the middle of the pack of the Atlantic Division

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007
I have 0 expectation, the dude body is falling apart, a wrist and two hip surgeries in 4 years. Props to him if he manage to play most of the season.
The little I know about hip surgeries from a few friends and mother is that they are very very high success surgeries. Now , I dont know what they had to actually do but hip replacement is very successful. The wrist im not so sure. Lets all hope the two hip operations just slowed him down for a year or two and he is trending back soon.

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
The little I know about hip surgeries from a few friends and mother is that they are very very high success surgeries. Now , I dont know what they had to actually do but hip replacement is very successful. The wrist im not so sure. Lets all hope the two hip operations just slowed him down for a year or two and he is trending back soon.
Unfortunately, very successful hip surgery usually means you can walk without much pain. It doesn't usually mean that you can play NHL hockey. Of course, it depends on the kind of surgery but I don't think it's wise to think of this as much more than a way to get a first round draft pick in the future.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I wonder if he will start the year or not now. Capfriendly has him with Drouin and Price in IR but from Hughes comments make it sound like he could be ready. And with what Monahan said himself, it sounds like he will be ready to start the year on the ice.

"I think this summer is a big one for me," Monahan told media via Zoom on Thursday. "I got the surgery earlier than I did the year before, so I’ve put in a lot of work this summer and right now I’m back on the ice four times a week. It's been a long time coming for me to feel healthy, so I’m excited to play hockey again at a high level and I’m really excited to join the Canadiens.”

Canadiens GM Kent Hughes said that the Habs are "not sure" that the centreman will be ready to start the season.

“He sounds incredibly encouraged that for the first time in a long time he’s going to play a season healthy," Hughes said. "I don’t know if that’s going to be Game 1 of the season or if it’s going to be Game 4 of the season. But he feels like even today not at 100 per cent, he's way better than he’s been the last few years.”

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think if the hip injuries are impactful, we should try him at wing. He’s still big and smart with skills. That should be enough to make him useful, look at Perry lately.

No one should be expecting a ppg centre, but if he can get 40/50 points at wing I think that would be a major win for us.

If not, his contract expires.

Great trade by Hughes. I haven’t agreed with everything he’s done, but this deal and Romanov for Dach are both big time wins in my book.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
We are collecting players who can’t shoot due to wrist injuries

Dach
Drouin
Gallagher
Monahan

Reactions: ReHabs

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Slaf in the ahl

Dadonov - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dach - Anderson
Monahan - Dvorak - Gallagher
Pitlick/Hoffman - Evans - Armia
Byron, Pezzetta
Why put Drouin with Dach? Don’t we wanna give Dach a chance to succeed? Give Dach a LW who can score goals.

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
Monahan is damaged goods, like getting current Gallagher but on the last year of his deal. I have no expectations for him beyond that he can play on a fourth line.
Fair enough. Either you are exactly right and he walks away at the end of this season and we have a 1st to show for it, or he surpasses yours (and everyone else) expectations and we flip him at the TDL or we consider resigning him.
Either way this is a massive win/win from HuGo

Reactions: dralaf and Redux91

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
We'll see how close to 100% he can get this season. If he can come anywhere near his career average production it'll be pure gravy for us, we'll only get a better return at the deadline.

Reactions: Redux91

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Be patient with him , let him heal it up and maybe he can surprise

Is the hip surgeries similar to the ones Kesler had ?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
As much as I like all moves Hughes made, let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is as unproven as it gets. We've got to hope some of the guys regain form, but outside of Suzuki none of them have done much in a while. They've got upside, but it needs to materialize.

Dvorak posted 17 points in his last 20 games to end the season. I think he played quite well under St. Louis and it's pretty silly to pretend he is somehow unproven and hasn't performed "in awhile."

Probably? You know he's already a 60 point center, right?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Fair enough. Either you are exactly right and he walks away at the end of this season and we have a 1st to show for it, or he surpasses yours (and everyone else) expectations and we flip him at the TDL or we consider resigning him.
Either way this is a massive win/win from HuGo

It's a great deal. And it might be the way HuGo get rid of Gallagher with the pick. It's around the years where the team should start getting better and will need the cap.

Reactions: Redux91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad