Sean Brown Appreciation Thread

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
Brown should have gotten more, but the bolded is outright false.

Brown's career high is 12points, Laraque averaged close 20 with person high of 29, George was also the better fighter. There's a reason he didn't last in the "new NHL" post lockout.

At worst you could argue Laraque followed "the code" too much, while Brown was more of a anytime, anywhere, anyone, and for any reason type instigator.
I liked Laraque, but he was in the NHL because he was an enforcer. If he didn't fight, he wasn't good enough to be in the NHL, although he did have his moments.

Sean Brown was an actual NHL player who could also fight.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
i started following the OIlers in 2002, when Todd Marchant was centering the first line. lol.
I saw the Oil play the Czech National team at Northlands back when they were still in the WHA, and one of my favourite teams is still the 1992/'93 team. They were the first Oiler team ever to miss the playoffs iirc.

Corson, Manson, Mellanby, Bucky, Richardson, and obviously DeBrusk all fought, and Weight just got there. They still had some champs there like Simpson, MacTavish, Tikannen, Gelinas, Ranford, Muni, etc.

That was definitely the toughest team the Oil ever iced, not from the POV of having a heavyweight champ, but all those fighters I mentioned up top played a lot of minutes. There was at least one guy on the ice who could fight for basically every second of every game.

I think they would have been a really good playoff team if they made it, but they just missed out.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I saw the Oil play the Czech National team at Northlands back when they were still in the WHA, and one of my favourite teams is still the 1992/'93 team. They were the first Oiler team ever to miss the playoffs iirc.

Corson, Manson, Mellanby, Bucky, Richardson, and obviously DeBrusk all fought, and Weight just got there. They still had some champs there like Simpson, MacTavish, Tikannen, Gelinas, Ranford, Muni, etc.

That was definitely the toughest team the Oil ever iced, not from the POV of having a heavyweight champ, but all those fighters I mentioned up top played a lot of minutes. There was at least one guy on the ice who could fight for basically every second of every game.

I think they would have been a really good playoff team if they made it, but they just missed out.
Was Loony Louie tough, or more like Kypreos?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
wow you guys are like 10 years younger than me when I was started following the team it was guys like Roman Oksuta, Jiri Slegr, and Ralph Intranuvo. Jason Arnott was supposed to be the future superstar
We got a good mix of young and old and great thing about this site is that it doesn't even matter.

I'll take ur Oksuta and raise it to the VCR line of VanAllen-Curry-Rice .. half here may not even know what a VCR was.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I liked Laraque, but he was in the NHL because he was an enforcer. If he didn't fight, he wasn't good enough to be in the NHL, although he did have his moments.

Enforcers were a big thing in the old NHL.
But since this is an "appreciation" thread I will no comment on Brown :)

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Laraque was a great 4th liner who once had 29 points in the dead-puck era, along with his "enforcer" role

Brown was a run-of-the-mill 6th d-man who was bland as it gets and nothing special

bad comparison

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Good physical player at the time. This allowed some other players staying out of the sin bin as he got in a few tilts.

Last edited:

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I loved Brown as a player back in the day. One of my favourites.

Me too
Took absolutely no shit

Brown was a punching bag here for a long time. He was a nothing Dman aside from his physicality. Laraque was a fan fav for his fighting and the lone hatty. Can't really compare the 2.

Do we expect Kulak to get great cheers a decade from now especially if he is standing next to a fan fav?

Yes

Reactions: AM

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
Laraque was a great 4th liner who once had 29 points in the dead-puck era, along with his "enforcer" role

Brown was a run-of-the-mill 6th d-man who was bland as it gets and nothing special

bad comparison
Laraque, at his prime, was a decent 4th liner.

I'm not gonna knock him because he did everything that was ever asked of him, but if he wasn't a fighter he never would have played a single game in the NHL.

Sean Brown had a higher PPG in his 20 yr old season than Laraque did in Junior and he was a defenceman.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00