Sean Brown Appreciation Thread

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
It was kind of sad to see Sean Brown stand on the blueline and get such a lukewarm reception when he was introduced last night.

Probably a large % of Oiler fans at that game weren't fans yet when he played here, but he battled as hard for this team as other guys like Bucky, Richardson and BG ever did.

The team was noticeably worse after Brown was traded. Our goalies were never protected to the same extent after he left and it showed.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Yeah, was pretty sad to see, and he slightly stepped out of the way when Laroque was next for his applause. Pretty humble of him to know he isn't as well known, but he was around for some battler seasons with Oilers. Wish he was given a bit more love at least.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Op nailed it. The average age at a game now is so young they wouldn't recognize Wayne Gretzky if he wasn't on TV or highlights or betting adds all the time. Something about todays game experience just keeps older fans away.

I'd wonder how many in the crowd were even born before Sean Brown played here.

Used to be you'd go to a game and it either kids with families and adults that were over 30. Now given its yet another place to drink your face off and party and hit snacks its much younger crowd. Wonder where they all get the money or free tickets?

Sean Brown was a good player for this team and the collective reaction from the home fans was "who". These people wouldn't know who Mike Grier or Anson Carter was. Maybe better they didn't show.

Sad reaction. Only Laraque got a cheer and Brown was a far better player.

maybe people hate the name Brown now due to Connor. ;)

jk aside as a demographic the Oilers would have the youngest fans in the league on average due to young demographic of this working City.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Sean Brown was a good player for this team and the collective reaction from the home fans was "who". These people wouldn't know who Mike Grier or Anson Carter was. Maybe better they didn't show.

jk aside as a demographic the Oilers would have the youngest fans in the league on average due to young demographic of this working City.

Brown should have gotten more, but the bolded is outright false.

Brown's career high is 12points, Laraque averaged close 20 with a person high of 29, George was also the better fighter. At worst you could argue Laraque followed "the code" too much, while Brown was more of an anytime, anywhere, anyone, and for any reason type instigator.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Brown's career high is 12points, Laraque averaged close 20 with person high of 29, George was also the better fighter. There's a reason he didn't last in the "new NHL" post lockout.

At worst you could argue Laraque followed "the code" too much, while Brown was more of a anytime, anywhere, anyone, and for any reason type instigator.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Brown's career high is 12points, Laraque averaged close 20 with person high of 29, George was also the better fighter. There's a reason he didn't last in the "new NHL" post lockout.

At worst you could argue Laraque followed "the code" too much, while Brown was more of a anytime, anywhere, anyone, and for any reason type instigator.
Sean Brown was a defencemen. In a different era when Oilers D were not scoring as much. His job was to be a stay at home no nonsense D who was also an enforcer. he did both well enough.

Of course most forwards of the time would have more pts than somebody playing D.

Last edited:
Reactions: OilerFanInLangley

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Sean Brown was a defencemen. In a different era when Oilers D were not scoring, like hardly ever.

Of course most forwards of the time would have more pts than somebody playing D.

I remember Brown was a defenceman, but Brown was a 11 to 12 minute a night #6 that played defence by physicality, water skiing with his stick, and holding; and generally not having the puck on his stick for longer than the time it took for him to chip it off the glass and up the ice. His job was to be an enforcer and not worry about the puck.

Laraque actually took a regular shift, playing 9min a night on the 4th line, had some skill and wasn't a liability on the ice.

Brown's role was common for a #6 at the time and he held (ba-dum-tish) his own, but that doesn't change the fact Laraque was a better hockey player.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Op nailed it. The average age at a game now is so young they wouldn't recognize Wayne Gretzky if he wasn't on TV or highlights or betting adds all the time. Something about todays game experience just keeps older fans away.

I'd wonder how many in the crowd were even born before Sean Brown played here.

Used to be you'd go to a game and it either kids with families and adults that were over 30. Now given its yet another place to drink your face off and party and hit snacks its much younger crowd. Wonder where they all get the money or free tickets?

i started following the OIlers in 2002, when Todd Marchant was centering the first line. lol.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Brown was a punching bag here for a long time. He was a nothing Dman aside from his physicality. Laraque was a fan fav for his fighting and the lone hatty. Can't really compare the 2.

Do we expect Kulak to get great cheers a decade from now especially if he is standing next to a fan fav?

Reactions: Stoneman89

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Brown was a punching bag here for a long time. He was a nothing Dman aside from his physicality. Laraque was a fan fav for his fighting and the lone hatty. Can't really compare the 2.

Do we expect Kulak to get great cheers a decade from now especially if he is standing next to a fan fav?

I mean, if Vandermeer shows up in 10 years, I'd still give him a cheer for the crazy smile after fighting Lucic.

Reactions: RegDunlop and LTIR

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I remember someone starting a thread on here 15 years ago asking how good Sean Brown was after he signed with a team in Europe.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Brown is a great guy too, played shinny with him in Sherwood Park a few times in 2004. The guy set me up for a few goals, the feel of a pass from an NHL player is unlike any kind of pass I've received. We worked out at Millenium Place and he was there a lot too. Always stopped and chatted for a few minutes, just a genuine down to earth guy and yes he battled hard for sure!

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Physical, hard nose defensemen are often overlooked by fans. But guys who do this dirty work including dropping the flippers often in defense of teammates are valued within the team and at trade deadline. By accounts a good person who didn't hit on his draft pedigree but a decent support d-man.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Sean Brown was a defencemen. In a different era when Oilers D were not scoring as much. His job was to be a stay at home no nonsense D who was also an enforcer. he did both well enough.

And we could use another stay at home d man like him or Jason Smith who would also drop the gloves with anyone and stickup for everyone. Those were the best teammates

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Sean Brown was a defencemen. In a different era when Oilers D were not scoring as much. His job was to be a stay at home no nonsense D who was also and enforcer. he did both well enough.

I think this along with your previous post is the reason, Brown was a player you didn't really notice too much outside of fights. As its low event quiet hockey, Laraque was a more of (from what I remember) personality and is still some what relevant in the media.

Carter was only an Oiler for one season after Brown was traded to NJ, though I think your point on the age of Rogers Place attendees being young is a little off. I'm in my late ish mid 30s and remember these players but the average fan probably has sadly forgotten Brown regardless of age.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
wow you guys are like 10 years younger than me when I was started following the team it was guys like Roman Oksuta, Jiri Slegr, and Ralph Intranuvo. Jason Arnott was supposed to be the future superstar
Mr. Perry Finch, you were born in 1985 as per the nhl.com.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Sean Brown looked pretty good for a guy his age. He looked like he was fit enough to still play.
I’m surprised the man can still walk. He played a physical game and so did the forwards skating into his zone. Recall a lot of hits taken and some heavy head shots too, but he pressed on and finished his games.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad