Trade: [SEA/NYJ] Jamal Adams and 2022 4th for 2021 1st, 2022 1st, 2021 3rd, and Bradley McDougald

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Without disputing the talent, that is a serious a serious price to pay for a safety. Only the 4th defensive player to return a 1st rounder-plus (2nd traded away by the Jets) and still added value compared to Mack.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Without disputing the talent, that is a serious a serious price to pay for a safety. Only the 4th defensive player to return a 1st rounder-plus (2nd traded away by the Jets) and still added value compared to Mack.
It's a bad trade. Giving up that haul all to then turn around and also make him one of the top paid safeties is dumb. You might do that for a pass rusher or a QB, but not a safety.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's a bad trade. Giving up that haul all to then turn around and also make him one of the top paid safeties is dumb. You might do that for a pass rusher or a QB, but not a safety.

Yeah, it’s hard to fully justify no matter how effusive one is of Adams himself. They’re basically saying he’s as important as a quarterback.

that said, seems like established talent is returning more in trades than they did so previously

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Seattle better do a deal with Adams first unlike the Rams with Ramsey.

Only issue I have is that this upcoming season is so up in the air with Covid hard to know how it will all play out.

With Wilson the Hawks still have the best QB in the division so that counts for a lot. He has been no worse than 9-7, the one time they didn’t make the playoffs.

They do need to ultimately replace Brown at LT down the line. Which is why I wished they too Josh Jones when he fell this past draft. But, see how it goes. Guess they felt the need to go big.

Having Wilson as your QB doesnt count for much when he's basically treated as an Alex Smith like game manager.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
As good as Adams is this seems like a steep price, even more so when considering how Adams has been burning bridges it was pretty clear the Jets needed to move him, but good for the Jets I guess, even if they are late firsts they can always use them to move up by packaging it with their own likely to 10 or so pick

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
that said, seems like established talent is returning more in trades than they did so previously

CBS Sports gave the win on the trade to SEA by a pretty wide margin (B+ to B-).

I never, ever thought I'd see the day a team would get two 1st rounders and a decent replacement S for a S/LB hybrid and be declared the loser of the trade.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Can they afford to give him a deal?

Probably does factor in, the West is one hell of a division. You have to keep up somehow and SEA never has high first rounders.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Adams is obviously a great player who makes the Seahawks better but that's a lot to give up for a safety. They'll have to give him a new market setting contract too so I think that needs to be part of the trade analysis as well. It feels like they gave up one 1st rd pick too many here.

The Seahawks will already be good but their defense could be pretty scary if they can add a legit pass rusher to go with that secondary. Either Clowney or Griffen would do.

From the Jets side, it's a good haul for a player who didn't want to be there. It's also another example of Gase chasing talent off the team, just like he did in Miami. Adams' main issue might've been his contract but he clearly wasn't a Gase fan either.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Glad that wasn't SF giving all that up. Great player, but that's a ton of value.
SF has their own guys coming up for new contacts, so don't want to be giving an outsider a big contract.

Seattle, internally, their best guys who are due a new deal next off-season are their CB - Griffen and RB - Carson. Seattle hasn't done a great job at the draft in recent years. The last group of draft picks on the roster to make the pro bowl are Wilson/Wagner draft class. So, been a lot of years between new blood being good enough to make pro bowls.

Based on the Ramsey deal, this was expected to be the type of return. However, I think I would only give up 2 1st rounders for DE like Mack or a LT like Tunsil, not for a CB or Safety like Ramsey and Adams.

For the Jets, it's another blunder in that they should have made this transaction at this year's draft rather than in the off-season.

Last edited:

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Extra cap space from this trade allows the Hawks to potentially sign Clowney.

He would have to sign a one year deal, wouldn't he? The Hawks need all of that space to resign Adams.

Eh maybe he would to try and build his market value up.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
As a Jets fan I feel Jamal Adams is the most overrated player in the whole league (obviously other jets fans would disagree). Seriously, the amount of press and accolades he has gotten compared to what the actually brings to the table.

I am a very happy Jets fan today.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Unlike most others this team builds from the back-in. Safeties are all-important to how this D operates so it shouldn't come as a surprise that SEA would pay dearly to get such a difference-maker.
Adding Quandre visibly helped a lot.

Adams meanwhile is 24 years old, got his whole prime in front of him. If JS and Pete think he's a guy they want to sign long-term I won't miss the picks too much, because Adams is already an established pro-bowler and we would have just drafted guys like Ifedi or Malik McDowell anyway.

Reactions: DoyleG

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Adams is obviously a great player who makes the Seahawks better but that's a lot to give up for a safety. They'll have to give him a new market setting contract too so I think that needs to be part of the trade analysis as well. It feels like they gave up one 1st rd pick too many here.

The Seahawks will already be good but their defense could be pretty scary if they can add a legit pass rusher to go with that secondary. Either Clowney or Griffen would do.

From the Jets side, it's a good haul for a player who didn't want to be there. It's also another example of Gase chasing talent off the team, just like he did in Miami. Adams' main issue might've been his contract but he clearly wasn't a Gase fan either.
Sums up my feelings well. Douglas seems like a competent GM. The issue is- Gase is the cancer he needs to remove before it costs him his job, imo.

Gase has an impact on all the players around him. He may stunt Darnold's growth. So even if Douglas does the right move by firing Gase- the damage is already done. I'm not sure many QBs have survived 3 coaching changes in their first 3-4 years in the league. If Darnold's future is in doubt, then we're talking another rebuild, which would take another 2-3 years to pay dividends. I'm not sure Douglas has that much of a leash, but he should. I feel like Jets ownership is always going to hold that team back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs_19

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Wasn't what Adams was saying in January. Pinning Adams' situation on Gase is dumb, IMO. Adams acted like a child when he heard Douglas had the *audacity* to answer the phone when teams inquired about him and set off this chain of events to publicly whine about the entire organization over the course of six months to manufacture a move.

It's all Adams and his ego. People call him a "born leader" just because he's the loudest guy in the room. His bark relative to what he accomplished in New York never matched up.

And just to make sure everyone gets where I'm coming from, Gase is still a moron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad