Salary Cap: Scuderi in informal talks for new contract

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider

"Fair to say" that informal contract discussions have taken place with Rob Scuderi.

Figured this deserves its own thread as some here (me included) saw us letting Rob go. Gotta guess he'll sign for similar money to what he has taken now.

Next year's lineup assuming he is back, and you have to think it's a safe bet now.

Brown-Kopi-Williams
????-Richards-Carter
King-Idiot-Lewis(RFA)
Clifford-Fras-Nolan(RFA but if he's unsigned or traded, Lombardi dies)
Thing 1
Thing 2

Dewey-Mitch
Slava(RFA - will need raise)-Scuds
AMart(RFA - small raise as well)-Greene
Ellerby(RFA)

QB (B is RFA as well)

Whiskey is an UFA and might be let go, although I'm not opposed to keeping him the way he's been lately. So now the question is do we go after a UFA 2nd line winger or do the kids battle it out for that spot? A lot will depend on how much re-signing all our RFA's will take and how much Scuds actually signs for. Also, do we go out and sign depth guys, do we keep Richie, or do we promote kids to be our extra forwards?

Captain Mittens*

VZXPSPHTMCRE3Q10.jpg

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I thought we were going to let him go, so yeah...forget that idea.

Would love to see Stoll get amnestied to accommodate this.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Hopefully 2 years.

I thought we were going to let him go, so yeah...forget that idea.

Would love to see Stoll get amnestied to accommodate this.

Unless you think he can't play beyond this year, in which case, I respect your opinion.

But they have roughly $15M in cap space for about 10 spots, including a backup goaltender, Nolan, Lewis at around $1M a piece.

Last edited:

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008

Considering about half the board here thought we'd let him walk, this pic is pointless. Had it been about us letting Penner go at the end of the year, it'd be fitting. But great contribution to the thread. :laugh:

Captain Mittens*

Considering about half the board here thought we'd let him walk, this pic is pointless. Had it been about us letting Penner go at the end of the year, it'd be fitting. But great contribution to the thread. :laugh:

That was a positive suprise O' Rly as opposed to the wise-assed one. The wise-assed one has a redder mouth

Maybe I should have used the Pokey w00t

pokey-woot.jpg

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Excellent. Our to do list for the D reads something like this methinks:

1) Finish this.
2) Determining Mitchell's health moving forward. Will we need to replace him?
3) Resign Voynov and Martinez (duh.)
4) Deciding who among Ellerby,Muzzin and Drewiske is playing/sent down/let go

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Wouldn't mind seeing 2 years but this will be a 35+ contract and with the lower cap might only go one.

He's 34, turns 35 in December of this year. Since the contract would be signed in the summer, I don't THINK it's a 35 contract. My understanding was those were only for players signing a contract who were currently 35 or older. I might be wrong though.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
He's 34, turns 35 in December of this year. Since the contract would be signed in the summer, I don't THINK it's a 35 contract. My understanding was those were only for players signing a contract who were currently 35 or older. I might be wrong though.

Nope it is June 30 of the year before the season the contract starts. So it is what his age is June 30 of next year or 35. That is exactly what happened with Pronger. And there is much speculation they missed that part when signing him and got put in the place they are now with him.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Nope it is June 30 of the year before the season the contract starts. So it is what his age is June 30 of next year or 35. That is exactly what happened with Pronger. And there is much speculation they missed that part when signing him and got put in the place they are now with him.

June 30th of the year before the season the contract starts would be June 30th, 2013 and that'd mean no 35+ contract. That or I'm missing something/you worded it weirdly. Cause sounds to me it wouldn't be. Regardless, no Greene and Mitchie has shown how much we need to keep Scuds. Worth having him on one of those contracts, but only 2 years max.

Scuderi should just let his face negotiate for him. I'm pretty sure his face it made of adamantium. When the puck hits Scuderi's face, he sheds a tear because he knows it must have hurt the puck more. I actually saw him apologizing to a Ducks player last night because his face got in the way and that player ended up on the ground. He said "sorry man, did I get you with my face? I know, it hurts, it hurts everyone but me".

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Agreed. 2 Years would be idea.

People forget that this team is built on defense first.

PLayers like Scuds are hard to find. He's such a beast and so underrated. I wish people will give him and Mitchell more support.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Agreed. 2 Years would be idea.

People forget that this team is built on defense first.

PLayers like Scuds are hard to find. He's such a beast and so underrated. I wish people will give him and Mitchell more support.

I think up until getting injured, EVERYONE here supported Mitchell and saw his importance. It's pathetic that one injury later and they're ready to send him to the glue factory. I will say that I think most of us criminally underrated Scuds impact on this team and I'm glad he'll be back.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Scuderi should just let his face negotiate for him. I'm pretty sure his face it made of adamantium. When the puck hits Scuderi's face, he sheds a tear because he knows it must have hurt the puck more. I actually saw him apologizing to a Ducks player last night because his face got in the way and that player ended up on the ground. He said "sorry man, did I get you with my face? I know, it hurts, it hurts everyone but me".

:handclap:

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
June 30th of the year before the season the contract starts would be June 30th, 2013 and that'd mean no 35+ contract. That or I'm missing something/you worded it weirdly. Cause sounds to me it wouldn't be. Regardless, no Greene and Mitchie has shown how much we need to keep Scuds. Worth having him on one of those contracts, but only 2 years max.

The season doesn't start til training camp in so the June 30th before the year before it starts would be June 30, 2014. It is just how it sounds and it is confusing as hell.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
2 years, $6.8 million, $3.4 million cap hit.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if he got a matching contract to Mitchell's either.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I was ok with Skuds going when WM was coming back....now no chance. I wonder if Skuds agent sees this as a good time to turn the screws on DL with WM future still in question really puts Skuds in a good negotiating position.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think since this is Scuderi's last contract before it becomes a 35+ contract, the Kings may try to add another year just to reduce the contract long term. He could also be a player similar to O'Donnell in his later years, providing depth and veteran leadership, as I'm guessing they will start trying to get him to play in a lesser capacity (given his age).

So I say 3 years, $8.7 million.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
I was ok with Skuds going when WM was coming back....now no chance. I wonder if Skuds agent sees this as a good time to turn the screws on DL with WM future still in question really puts Skuds in a good negotiating position.

I don't see it that way. I see it as a player that recognizes that he's on a team that has an opportunity for another Cup or two before he retires.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Honestly, I'd be ok with letting him walk if he wants more than 1 year and $3 million. He's a rock, I agree, but I'm opposed to 35+ contracts of more than one year outside of very special cases, and he ain't it. Not to mention that with the salary cap going down next year by almost $6 million, there will be a lot of teams finding ways to pinch pennies, meaning the overall value of contracts should go down. Hopefully he recognizes this and takes a pay cut, or we could maybe find a similar replacement for less on the open market who won't be on a 35+ contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad