SCSU Huskies

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I don't know what the hell to say about this anymore.
2-0 lead, less than 6 to go melts into a 3-2 loss.
Something is drastically wrong and Motzko had better find out how to fix it.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I don't know what the hell to say about this anymore.
2-0 lead, less than 6 to go melts into a 3-2 loss.
Something is drastically wrong and Motzko had better find out how to fix it.

From an outsiders perspective, Rabid, this is a rebuilding year for SCSU. Your [not so chummy] friends in Madison are going through the same thing. Both teams have good young talent but suffer from lack of veteran depth and leadership.

Truthfully, I'm surprised SC has done this well this year. When I saw the preseason ranking I though "these guys are so overated". Considering the fact they lost, I believe it was 8 seniors; most notably Goepfert, I think they can hold their heads high to be in the top 20. I don't think there should be lofty expectations in Madison or St. Cloud this year. I expect both teams near the top of the WCHA next year, however.

The fact of the matter is that the teams like NoDak, CC and DU have so much more in the way of depth and experience so it is no wonder they are at the top of the conference. I think the best that teams like our respective favorites and the likes of UMD can get this year is to play the elite teams tough and learn from the failures in these series.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Oh I know they are young and on the blueline there isn't much talent there. We have 2 real defenseman so far in Raboin and Stephenson so when they decide to play defensive hockey they just collapse.
They played great for about 55 minutes then looked like a bunch of kids that final 5 minutes.
I know they are better than this, and I'm sure Motzko knows it too, but something is rotten right now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I saw that 2nd half of the game.

What a disaster.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Come on guys. You have the talent to turn the corner. Hopefully it solidifies by the end of the year.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Come on guys. You have the talent to turn the corner. Hopefully it solidifies by the end of the year.

That's what makes it so frustrating. We know the talent is there and for the most part, the work ethic is there. As I said, this may just be a mental thing since they are such a young team.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Last night's game had to be the bitterest pill to swallow. It's one thing to lose a game, but that one was just a punch in the gut. You have to hand it to DU though, they weren't about to give in (or up).

If anything comes out of that loss, I hope that it'll make the team wiser in showing that you have to bring your "A" game for a full 60-minutes (and not 50-some odd minutes) to win the game.

Also, many people are just talking about the Rhett Rakhshani show, and while I thought he was pretty darn good in this game, I've gotta give props to the entire DU team because the Huskies had a few good shots on net in the last 28 or so seconds of regulation and the DU players in front of Mannino did an excellent job of doing whatever they could to preserve the win. I know that Brock Trotter took all of one shot and barely made it back on his feet.

And it's not going to get any easier for the Huskies either. CC comes in next week and then there's the Ohio State Holiday Tournament opener against Miami. If the Huskies want to make some major moves, not only in the WCHA but more importantly in the Pairwise rankings, these next two series are crucial.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Personally, I think if they get swept again next week they can kiss home ice goodbye

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
It finally ends, SCSU wins 4-2.
Goals by Nodl, Oslund, Dey (2)
Roe was out with injury but it didn't seem to matter tonight. First full game they've played in a couple weeks.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
It finally ends, SCSU wins 4-2.
Goals by Nodl, Oslund, Dey (2)
Roe was out with injury but it didn't seem to matter tonight. First full game they've played in a couple weeks.
Nice win for the Huskies over a very good CC team.Somebody needed to cool them down a bit.Going to be fun second half.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Nice win for the Huskies over a very good CC team.Somebody needed to cool them down a bit.Going to be fun second half.

Yes it is, I'm amazed that even with the losing streak, they are only 4 points out of third, right now the league is DU, CC and everyone else.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
SCSU recruit Tyler Kieffer decides to go play Major Junior for Everett.
He was likely going to be pushed back to '09 and according to the Husky beat writer Kevin Allenspach, he may have had some problems getting in academically.
Best of luck to him though.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Do the WCHA a favor and beat that Miami team from the CCHA and let them know what the WCHA is all about.LETS GO HUSKYS.

I echo that sentiment and extend it to M. Tech at GLI. They gave the WCHA teams in both respective tourneys the hardest draw of any team. If the Huskies make it past Miami then beware the Buckeyes: they defended their home turf with their best game of the season against the Badgers this year.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Huskies up 1-0 going into the 3rd.Only problem here is the 3rd has been bad for the Huskies and good for the redhawks as they have outscored their opponents 36-5 in the 3rd.Come on Huskies pull it off.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I was very impressed with how we played this weekend. Miami's first goal was definitely played with a high stick and the ref's missed it, but the Huskies stopped playing allowing Miami to score, the ot goal was a good steal and a great shot. Saturday they dominated Harvard with Lasch netting his first Hat Trick.
I thought we played great this weekend, you can see the skill, it just needs to mature and some secondary scoring needs to emerge but the goaltending is just fine and the D improves every game. Should be an exciting 2nd half for the Huskies.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Nice win for the Huskies tonight...especially considering they didn't register a shot in the 2nd period. A lot of teams would have folded being behind 2 goals to the dreaded, but respected, Sioux. Pretty good start for the 2nd half.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Oddly enough I didn't see most of the third. I left the room after the Sioux made it 2-0 to cool off then we scored 1, then 2, and my fiance said I wasn't allowed to come back and we won. I did tape it so hopefully I'll watch it tomorrow. But now, at least according to my fiance, I'm not allowed to watch a live Husky game on TV anymore. :)

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
EXPECTED SCSU LINES FOR FRIDAY:

Andreas Nodl-Garrett Roe-Matt Hartman
Tony Mosey-Nate Dey-Ryan Lasch
Aaron Marvin-Brent Borgen-Nick Oslund
Marty Mjelleli-Michael Olson-Brian Volpei

Garrett Raboin-Matt Stephenson
John Swanson-Chris Anderson
Aaron Brocklehurst-Brett Barta

Jase Weslosky