GDT: [SCP24 RD1 GM1] Dallas Stars vs. Vegas Golden Knights - 8:30PM CT (BSSW)

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Putting this loss on the following

Deboer - trying to outsmart everyone by starting the 4th line to open the playoffs

Hintz- was useless, what is he waiting for?

Marchment- got lucky on that goal, was worst player before that. Offside cost us a goal and took needless penalty to allow a Vegas PP goal

PK - looked like the sharks PK

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don't know if you noticed but ESPN is lowering our crowd noise on the broadcast. They just messed up by lowering it as the play went on. I learned this when I went to school for television production, it's usually done when crowds are chanting obscene things.

Not the first time they have/been accused of doing it.

They do this a lot, it's just so they can try and keep the commentators at roughly the same volume for the viewers. Happens in most rinks sometimes.

I just take it as a testament to how loud it was in the building. The commentators had to yell into their mics.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Bunch of guys just looked uneasy out there. Caught off guard by the pace somehow despite playing playoff hockey before. I don't get it

Vegas is very comfortable sitting back, but Thompson was shaky and hopefully he continues to be. Would be nice to be able to make them pay if they sit back like this again. Or in an ideal world it'd be nice to not give them multiple 2 goal leads. Lucky ass floater from distance to start the 2nd really stung. It's weird how we screen our goalie somehow on so many goals but Vegas puts a million of their own defenders in front of their goal and that's never an issue. Our defenders need to get better at blocking shooting lanes I suppose and tying up sticks. Helps that every player on Vegas is f***ing massive

PK sucked btw. That's gonna end up an issue for sure. Special teams in general changed the game tonight

Game 2 is a must-win now

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
They do this a lot, it's just so they can try and keep the commentators at roughly the same volume for the viewers. Happens in most rinks sometimes.

I just take it as a testament to how loud it was in the building. The commentators had to yell into their mics.
It’s horrible. I’d much rather hear a crowd than those moron announcers.

Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It’s horrible. I’d much rather hear a crowd than those moron announcers.

Oh I don't disagree, I would happily pay a bit more money if I could just get a static feed with no voiceover. I want the in-arena experience.

Puck Luck 73

Dec 17, 2021
This is exactly what happened in the WCF last year. They are so big, they can just step into lanes and stop our rush. Im afraid this is not going to end well for the Stars

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
Benn Johnny and Stank will probably have to carry us through this series, at least until Roope or Robo get going. Also I am low-key hoping Smith comes in for Daddy.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Chins up boys, Dal has been a good response team and they carried play today better than they did last year
If this is a 'bad game' then there is reason for optimism. We're fully capable to be better than this.
Oh yea, for sure.

We were the better team for 80% of this game.

Clean up the special teams and keep it even at worst through the first 4 games. We're the much better 5v5 team, and we'll get more and more of that as the series progresses.

Difficult first loss, no doubt. But the mistakes are fixable, and all year long we've seen the consistency needed to get through this.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Putting this loss on the following

Deboer - trying to outsmart everyone by starting the 4th line to open the playoffs

Hintz- was useless, what is he waiting for?

Marchment- got lucky on that goal, was worst player before that. Offside cost us a goal and took needless penalty to allow a Vegas PP goal

PK - looked like the sharks PK
Disagree. Miro, Lindell, and Harley were hundreds of miles worse than Marchment.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Meanwhile the Oilers are still in the regular season. Or might as well be against this Kings team. Kings are awful

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
On the bright side tonight, Stankoven is looking like a playoff warrior for us. There's no harder test for an undersized guy than a series like this against Vegas, and he handled game 1 beautifully.
Yeah probably our best player tonight

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Stank was great. Nils deserved more than 7 min. Robo was solid. Tanev was a beast.

Rest of the lineup was pretty bad.

Reactions: roryjones

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Its Smith
my neg opinion of smith is- dadonov with slightly more reliable flukey offense and less rust but add a handful of penalties

are we sure dellandrea wouldnt bring more chaos and shots on goal?

I think Smith probably is the best answer but im not enthralled

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I would say the Johnston line played well. Would like smith back in for daddy. Other than that Oettinger needs to be better and Hintz’s needs to show up. Also stop over passing.

my neg opinion of smith is- dadonov with slightly more reliable flukey offense and less rust but add a handful of penalties

are we sure dellandrea wouldnt bring more chaos and shots on goal?

I think Smith probably is the best answer but im not enthralled
Chaos? Yes. Shots on goal? Can he do that? He misses a ton of shots that a normal person puts on goal.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Just back....not sure how it looked on TV, but in reality, VGK were the better team most of the night. Won most puck battles, most stick battles, and most mano a mano battles.

I started counting zone entries without a shot on goal in the third before I left early. In the first half of the period, the Stars had 3 icings, 5-6 no shot zone entries where they turned the puck over, and the one scoring chance by Dads. If they were working hard on the third period push, VGK was working harder, especially after their fourth goal, when they essentially turtled, but they have the skill to do that and still hold the lead, even against a good offensive team like the Stars. It may still be true that good D usually beats good O.

VGK were really good with their sticks defensively. They all turn their sticks over and then use it better lean on the Stars players to impede them. There were constant hacks at our sticks, which were just short of slashing. It is something rarely seen by me anyway, not to that degree.

So, basically the same as last year. Big Vegas can beat smaller, faster Dallas. While the series isn't over, I am worried that the Stars not only be the first home team to lose game 1, as I predicted, but they may be this year's surprise early first round out, like TB and BOS over the last few years.

Reactions: catters078

japurple01

Apr 19, 2014
Someone needs to hack into the Vegas' management's computers and expose the file that lists the injury planned for Stone next season that will also miraculously heal for playoff Game 1. It's not bad enough they got the sweetheart expansion rules, but one commentator pointed out that Hanafin could sign for less there because no state tax means he'll get 6 million more over the life of the contract than if he were in a different tax jurisdiction. To that they seem to be able to add yearly cap circumvention as well. But hey, the salary cap works to keep a level playing field, right?

(Just a Vancouver fan adding my support to the Stars finding a way to send these cheaters packing.)

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I don't know if you noticed but ESPN is lowering our crowd noise on the broadcast. They just messed up by lowering it as the play went on. I learned this when I went to school for television production, it's usually done when crowds are chanting obscene things.

Not the first time they have/been accused of doing it.
A lot of nuck fans have seen games in Dallas and they said you guys are rabid and the arena is one of the best environments in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad