GDT: [SCP R1 GM1] Dallas Stars vs. Minnesota Wild - 8:30 PM CT (BSSW)

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Upon further review, i hate to say this, but that hit is both possibly legal and f***ed up. It’s like a 40 year old youth minister marrying an 18 year old student the day she graduates- clearly messed up and clearly f***ed up intentions, but by the book you could argue it’s legal.

Yes, he scooped into his head. Yes, the puck was gone so his only play there by laying a hit is to ruin the guys night. No, it wasn’t that late out of slow motion. I would argue a major due to intent to injure/result, but I’m not in the nhl.
Kinda sums up how I feel about it. I hope Dumba55 receives his just deserts on Wednesday night.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Upon further review, i hate to say this, but that hit is both possibly legal and f***ed up. It’s like a 40 year old youth minister marrying an 18 year old student the day she graduates- clearly messed up and clearly f***ed up intentions, but by the book you could argue it’s legal.

Yes, he scooped into his head. Yes, the puck was gone so his only play there by laying a hit is to ruin the guys night. No, it wasn’t that late out of slow motion. I would argue a major due to intent to injure/result, but I’m not in the nhl.
My take:
- He sure as shit looked like his intention was to hit him in the head and injure him.
- Ended up shoulder on shoulder but I am not really sure. Different angles look more like direct head contact.
- It was late, not super late.
- Usually the league punishes more for the injury than the intent, so I am surprised they downgraded it.
- Giving Domi roughing instead of fighting so that Kap didn't get third man was really the icing on the cake.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Hit was late and he drove up. Commentator even immediately said he drove up. He also left the ice. This should receive a suspension. Hits are part of the game but this type needs to be removed.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
My take:
- He sure as shit looked like his intention was to hit him in the head and injure him.
- Ended up shoulder on shoulder but I am not really sure. Different angles look more like direct head contact.
- Usually the league punishes more for the injury than the intent, so I am surprised they downgraded it.
- Giving Domi roughing instead of fighting so that Kap didn't get third man was really the icing on the cake.
It was late enough for Dumba to know what he’s doing, not late enough to call it a “late” hit, if that makes sense. Skirts the line perfectly of legality/cheap if you play it right and get the right ref, which he did. Clearly there’s an argument for/not for a major, and it just didn’t go Pavelski’s way. Looking forward to frontier justice on Wednesday, my money is on Marchment.

Reactions: Kipper 17

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
It was late enough for Dumba to know what he’s doing, not late enough to call it a “late” hit, if that makes sense. Skirts the line perfectly of legality/cheap if you play it right and get the right ref, which he did. Clearly there’s an argument for/not for a major, and it just didn’t go Pavelski’s way. Looking forward to frontier justice on Wednesday, my money is on Marchment.
Regarding the refs, yesterday before the game I read multiple Wild fans complaining about the refs that were selected for the series as if they have a history of bad calls against the Wild. Wonder how they feel about them now...

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
My take:
Replying to this rather than posting my own rant, which would be similar, other than I feel it was definitely late. There were so many ways that situation could have been called, and in the end, none of what they did favored the Stars. To their credit, they did seem to accept it, play through it, and get better as the game went on, losing in OT as they usually do on a turnover that gifts the other team a golden opportunity. We lasted longer 5 on 5 than we usually do 3 on 3, but the result was the same.

I also gotta say the officiating was generally bad both ways, and the calls were eventually evened up (minors) with the Stars getting all the late power plays, at least one of them was a weak call on the Wild, seemingly a clear makeup call. But the Hintz trip along the boards, Pavs small tap on the back being called tripping, and Robo for embellishment all seemed to reek, really. It's hard to believe these are the best of the "best referees in the world." PBD knows better than to criticize them, to avoid fines and more payback calls.

The whole thing reminded me of early season calls against the Stars, which also evened up at the end of the season. Some goon went after Marchment and somehow the other team gets a power play? Maybe the NHL considers this the "second season" and is re-writing the penalty rules to eliminate some lesser TV markets (like Dallas) early. I truly doubt that, but it may be just as plausible as the refs just consistently screwed up, maybe because of first game jitters.

Who are our refs for game 2? Same guys to save travel expenses for the NHL? Is that better (i.e., they may continue to make up calls) or worse (they're against us) for the Stars?

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
It's unfortunate they lost but after last nights game, I feel more confident that they get this done. They dominated most of the game and were clearly the better team, even without Pavs.

This is probably how Calgary felt last year in their loses with us. As long as Dallas continues to play their style of hockey and don't get caught up in Minny's game, they'll win this series.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
clear head contact

Yeah, I'm just not sure if it's the shoulder hitting his head first or the shoulder hitting both Pavelski AND Hartman's sticks, and then following through to the shoulder.

Shit, could be a combo of all of those, and even just the sticks slamming into his head at that speed would do damage.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
They probably thought that Dumbass hits his shoulder but that pushes the stick into Joe's head, and we all know the Stars will never get another high sticking call in their favor ever, ever again.

I see head contact and am perplexed by the number of MN fans and others who say it didn't happen, i.e., "Who are you going to trust....me or your own eyes?" It is frustrating after seeing so many other hits earn suspensions (I know not all do) for similar hits, it seems as if the league says, "Yeah, it was late, but not late enough. Yeah, he left his feet, but not really enough until after the contact, to be a penalty", and he got hit in the head, but he also caught the shoulder, so that wasn't good enough for a penalty." Not to mention that hit was totally unnecessary, but it was the Stars and in the PO, so its gonnar be alright. The second worst is the threads posted by MN fans on the main board about Suter's dirty cross checks, as if they are anywhere near the same level of offense. Granted, the refs didn't call those either.

I am still steamed about it, even while admitting that it didn't affect the game as penalties evened up, Stars kept playing better and better, etc. It may affect the entire series. Oh yeah, it won't change DFW perceptions that the suits in the NE really do pull strings, probably thinking MSP is a better TV market than DFW for them.

Let's just move on and hope the Stars respond "the right way" (which should include as many goals as possible, and if the situation occurs, some nice, legal, but hard checks to Dumba.) Of course, in the NHL, the retaliation calls are very typical, and I expect the refs to really be watching the Stars for everything because they need to "keep the game in check" and recall that retribution is not a good excuse to make an illegal hit. Short version, I think we will be skating 5 on 9 all night, except on the PK, when it will be 4 against 9. Maybe more, if we figure Toronto will get involved again.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Yeah, I'm just not sure if it's the shoulder hitting his head first or the shoulder hitting both Pavelski AND Hartman's sticks, and then following through to the shoulder.

Shit, could be a combo of all of those, and even just the sticks slamming into his head at that speed would do damage.
Pavelski has his arms up a bit .His head is partially blocked by his shoulder . So there was shoulder contact that went through to the head . It’s a high dirty hit .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad