Scottrade Center in St. Louis to be renamed Enterprise Center

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
The Corporation is named after the arena. The current arena is the 4th Madison Square Garden. The first 2 were both adjacent to Madison Square which is bound by 5th avenue/broadway on the west side and Madison Avenue on the east and 23rd and 26th street on the south and north sides.

While that is true, it's not a corporation in the sense of Wells Fargo or Capital One which are national companies. For example, Wells Fargo may choose to pay for the naming rights on an arena in any location in America. Madison Square Garden would not do so. When Harold Ballard owned Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, it was because he owned the majority of shares in the entity called Maple Leaf Gardens. There was no outside corporations that put their name brand on those arenas, therefore, no revenue was being generated from the name of the arena. The arena names back then didn't change every few years since there were no naming rights being sold. That was the point I was making in post #18.

:jets

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
While that is true, it's not a corporation in the sense of Wells Fargo or Capital One which are national companies. For example, Wells Fargo may choose to pay for the naming rights on an arena in any location in America. Madison Square Garden would not do so. When Harold Ballard owned Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, it was because he owned the majority of shares in the entity called Maple Leaf Gardens. There was no outside corporations that put their name brand on those arenas, therefore, no revenue was being generated from the name of the arena. The arena names back then didn't change every few years since there were no naming rights being sold. That was the point I was making in post #18.

disingeneous, since MTS is in Winnipeg, instead of what it's traditionally known as, DB, there never were naming rights on the original Jets arena

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
disingeneous, since MTS is in Winnipeg, instead of what it's traditionally known as, DB, there never were naming rights on the original Jets arena

Not sure what your point is Hutch. I never mentioned MTS at all in the previous posts so I don't know what is disingenuous. However, in regards to MTS, they paid for naming rights to the building which TNSE owns. Is MSG paying themselves for the naming rights to their own building?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Not sure what your point is Hutch. I never mentioned MTS at all in the previous posts so I don't know what is disingenuous. However, in regards to MTS, they paid for naming rights to the building which TNSE owns. Is MSG paying themselves for the naming rights to their own building?

they're not required to, since the question has been asked and answered, DB

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

^^^ This latest post? Say what now?... The earlier one I quoted? What on earth?! Explain please.... The poster isnt being in anyway "disingenuous" but I suspect your being argumentative for the sake of being.... argumentative. So please enlighten. What are you talking about HUTCH? Clarify please so that theres no misunderstandings, discourse civil, pleasant, edifying. ;)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
^^^ This latest post? Say what now?... The earlier one I quoted? What on earth?! Explain please.... The poster isnt being in anyway "disingenuous" but I suspect your being argumentative for the sake of being.... argumentative. So please enlighten. What are you talking about HUTCH? Clarify please so that theres no misunderstandings, discourse civil, pleasant, edifying. ;)
K, Winnipeg Arena is just what it was, why would MSG need to sell naming rights, EVERYONE knows it's MSG, no matter how many versions/retrofits they do.... see the point about disingeneous how many times have we seen that discussed in the Phoenix/Arizona threads on this particular forum

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
K, Winnipeg Arena is just what it was, why would MSG need to sell naming rights, EVERYONE knows it's MSG, no matter how many versions/retrofits they do.... see the point about disingeneous how many times have we seen that discussed in the Phoenix/Arizona threads on this particular forum

Well, I'm not seeing anything "disingenuous" here HUTCH. Sure enough the old Winnipeg Arena was called simply that; Winnipeg Arena, and fondly nicknamed The Ol' Barn on Maroons Road, The White House, Crazy Corner. Opened in 1955 (2004) its lifetime spanning an era when naming rights werent sold. Totally different situation. Arenas named after cities, after athletes in some cases & so on & so on. The Winnipeg Arena replaced the smaller & antiquated Sheas' Amphitheater, built in 1909 and for many years the only indoor artificial ice surface between Toronto & Vancouver. Seated about 5000+ for hockey. Sheas' a major developer & construction company heavily involved in everything from hotels to theaters, golf courses, skating & roller rinks, you name it throughout NA through the 19th & 20th centuries. So there it was in fact named after corporate; themselves. They owned it, managed it. Indeed, the entire area around the arena a "sports & entertainment complex".....

As for MSG, you'd look at that company in the same way you'd look at Sheas' if they were still around. MSG retaining its 19th century name as its a commercial entity & industry unto itself that is heavily involved in the sports & entertainment business sectors, has been since inception. They dont sell the naming rights as its far more beneficial to them to retain it themselves, its a "name brand" unto itself, its monetized, its their profile. NY City is like a country unto itself. Massive. One of the most important economies on the planet. Madison Square Garden is a world renowned name & brand. The very company that operates it & all of their interests named after it. Cable interests, all kinds of stuff going on. Multi-billion dollar business. If they did decide to sell the name you can bet they'd get some serious blowback from preservationists etc but to do so would be counter-productive to their own interests & the price tag? My God I could only imagine. You'd be looking at north of a billion, way more than that & who in their right mind, what entity would pay it? Its just not on. And if they did try it on I'd hazard to guess the city itself would shut them down. No way no how. Threaten their tax situation, any number of threats quickly put an end to any thought of that happening.

Finally, not entirely sure what your referencing pursuant to Glendale Arena, jobbing.com & now of course named Gila River Arena. In what context, what are you driving at?

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
they're not required to, since the question has been asked and answered, DB

I suppose in my original post I should have mentioned The Olympia (Detroit) instead of Madison Square Garden. The main point being that the names of arenas at that time (the O6 era) weren't always changing. If you talked about The Forum, everyone knew you were talking about the home of the Montreal Canadiens. Nowadays with corporate names attached to the majority of arenas and changing every few years, it's hard to keep track of what team is playing in what building. I guess there's just a small percentage of us left that feel that way in regards to arena names.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad