Scottrade Center in St. Louis to be renamed Enterprise Center

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Not a fan of the commercialization of NHL arena's it was better in the good old days when every Arena had great names and was unique instead of being named after corporate entities.

The Leafs Air Canada Centre is also being changed to "Scotiabank Arena" ...lame.

Reactions: deepdark

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Scott Bakula as the face for promoting the team in tv commercials? (Bakula is from St. Louis) :naughty:

Yeah, there were worse names or associated sponsor fields for arenas.

Reactions: Hull and Oates

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
It's a local company supporting a local arena, it's good.

Enterprise is pretty big on supporting Missouri causes.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
First thing I thought of was the rental car scene from Planes Trains and Automobiles, set at St Louis's airport...

"*sigh*....you're f****d"

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I like the name. Just Enterprise Center doesn't sound like a corporate naming rights deal.

I can see Star Trek references evolving over the years on this.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Not a fan of the commercialization of NHL arena's it was better in the good old days when every Arena had great names and was unique instead of being named after corporate entities.

The Leafs Air Canada Centre is also being changed to "Scotiabank Arena" ...lame.

Huh? You do know that Air Canada Centre was just another corporate sponsorship name, right?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Huh? You do know that Air Canada Centre was just another corporate sponsorship name, right?

I know that, its besides the point. I was just voicing my displeasure at the new name which is inherently worse than Air Canada Centre, or ACC which everyone refers to it as. Meh whatever, I don't know about the city of St. Louis but locals in Toronto tend to continue calling it the old name for a long time afterwards, for example you'll still hear people say "take me to the Skydome" when giving orders to a cab driver instead of Rogers Centre when going to Blue Jays games.

I was talking about two things, how I don't like how every NHL building seems to be named after a corporate entity this days and also that I dislike the new name for the Leafs arena, I was talking about 2 different things.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

I agree with you XK. I preferred names like Maple Leaf Gardens, Chicago Stadium, etc. I guess Madison Square Garden in New York is the last holdout from getting a corporate name.

:jets

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Ummm, that's the corporation's name. Self titled.

Isn't Madison Square Garden named after Madison Square? a public square in NYC by the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Broadway at 23rd street? it also mentions on wiki that the arena was named after James Madison, the 4th president of the US.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Isn't Madison Square Garden named after Madison Square? a public square in NYC by the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Broadway at 23rd street? it also mentions on wiki that the arena was named after James Madison, the 4th president of the US.

That's what I thought as well. LadyStanley appears to believe it's named after a corporation.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I know that, its besides the point. I was just voicing my displeasure at the new name which is inherently worse than Air Canada Centre, or ACC which everyone refers to it as. Meh whatever, I don't know about the city of St. Louis but locals in Toronto tend to continue calling it the old name for a long time afterwards, for example you'll still hear people say "take me to the Skydome" when giving orders to a cab driver instead of Rogers Centre when going to Blue Jays games.

I was talking about two things, how I don't like how every NHL building seems to be named after a corporate entity this days and also that I dislike the new name for the Leafs arena, I was talking about 2 different things.

We may not like it but when Scotiabank is paying $800M CDN over 20 years for naming rights , hard to say no from a business point of view. You could get your own NHL franchise for that amount.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
That's what I thought as well. LadyStanley appears to believe it's named after a corporation.

The Corporation is named after the arena. The current arena is the 4th Madison Square Garden. The first 2 were both adjacent to Madison Square which is bound by 5th avenue/broadway on the west side and Madison Avenue on the east and 23rd and 26th street on the south and north sides.

Reactions: cheswick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad