Confirmed with Link: Scott Stevens Resigns from Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I liked Stevens.

Lets have fun and speculate:
1. He didn't like the open (nontrap) Wild philosophy.
2. He didn't get the 3 d-men he wanted protected.
3. Suter demanded he leave. Had to feed the fire. :popcorn:
4. Missed his easy desk job at NHL network.
5. Want's to spend time with his family.
6. See's a bunch of H.C. opportunities that could open up within the next season. Wild defense regresses without out him and he looks even better.
7. He's not a Minnesota nice type of person.
8. Had a bad day at the office and said "take this job and shove it."
9. Took the "Roy approach". Saw a sinking ship and got off before his toes got wet.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Missed his family in NY/NJ. Too bad, I think he did some good things for our team.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Sad to see him go, but I hope the best for him and his family.

This is one of those rare threads that actually makes the policing of "re-sign" vs "resign" feel important rather than pretentious.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

This is one of those rare threads that actually makes the policing of "re-sign" vs "resign" feel important rather than pretentious.

I was thinking the same thing. "Quits" would be better, but it just sounds too harsh.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'm bummed to see Stevens go. He seemed like a great coach. But, can't argue with family stuff, I suppose.

Every time I see a thread about a player "resigning" I think about asking why they decided to quit :laugh:

But, in this case, I think "resigns from Minnesota Wild" makes it clear.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The cynic makes me wonder if leaves for family is code for scapegoat for why the Wild didn't perform in the playoffs. How else to shake up a team without cap space? Firing a popular coach.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The cynic makes me wonder if leaves for family is code for scapegoat for why the Wild didn't perform in the playoffs. How else to shake up a team without cap space? Firing a popular coach.

if it had been a long tenured coach or the defense was the reason we lost to the Blues l, maybe.

But defending certainly wasnt the end of the ice the Wild failed at in the playoffs.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

They wouldn't do that after one year. And like someone else said, defense wasn't the problem in the series.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Family... That's the reason everyone uses when they quit and don't want to make waves. Wonder if uthat's the real reason?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Family... That's the reason everyone uses when they quit and don't want to make waves. Wonder if uthat's the real reason?

I don't think there's necessarily anything suspicious about it, but it does seem a little abrupt. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he caught wind of an upcoming opening out east somewhere. I'm not sure what all the rules are surrounding coaching staff and front office moves, but everyone seems to get very tight-lipped about it until an actual announcement is made (e.g. Fletcher's reaction to the rumors about Murray joining the Wild front office).

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Dude wants to be with his family, can never fault someone for that. Wish him well in whatever he pursues.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I don't think there's necessarily anything suspicious about it, but it does seem a little abrupt. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that he caught wind of an upcoming opening out east somewhere. I'm not sure what all the rules are surrounding coaching staff and front office moves, but everyone seems to get very tight-lipped about it until an actual announcement is made (e.g. Fletcher's reaction to the rumors about Murray joining the Wild front office).

It would be hard to blame him if so. It's gotta be hard being away from your family all year. If his family doesn't want to move, it would probably make sense for him to get a job back out East if he can.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It would be hard to blame him if so. It's gotta be hard being away from your family all year. If his family doesn't want to move, it would probably make sense for him to get a job back out East if he can.

Exactly. It wouldn't even make a liar out of him since the motivation would still be to be closer to his family.

And I'm not saying that's what it is, it just wouldn't surprise me.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I bite my tongue so damned hard every time I see "resign" used when "re-sign" SHOULD be used!

It makes my brain scream at me that it's so wrong! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad