News Article: Scott Mayfield Future (NY Post article)

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
does not sound promising. Maybe he needs to get on the Throttle-diet, get leaner, meaner, quicker or take some Denis Potvin pills if they still sell them.

I honestly can't tell if my eyes are seeing a player who's regressed? or playing without confidence?

I really liked the way Mayfield and Pelech were locked up before they became crazy-expensive, and some risks pay-off, others don't.
It’s a player struggling with the current pace of the game. He was a strong all around d-man with obvious offensive flaws. He was signed to what appeared could have been a little below market.

Poof, the game changed and he’s really having a hard time. Seems like the Isles have realized his offense (shot) is ineffective (slow windup, terrible accuracy) and exposing the team to more opportunities for the opponent and have really looked to rely on Dobson.

Pulock played a couple of games where he pushed the puck towards the net vs. a slap and he was more effective, but that’s not what he’s being paid to do.

Strickland

Mar 1, 2007
if mayfield is still here post-deadline, then it's another in a long line of blunders made by the GM. its the reason they're in the spot they're in. signing him to an extension, ANY extension is sheer lunacy. so of course you should expect lou to do it.

Reactions: Ishkabible

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
if mayfield is still here post-deadline, then it's another in a long line of blunders made by the GM. its the reason they're in the spot they're in. signing him to an extension, ANY extension is sheer lunacy. so of course you should expect lou to do it.
One blunder, which is best seen by hindsight, was not doing everything possible - including going into training camp with uncertainty - to keep Toews.

Another blunder, which was forseeable (I certainly didn't like it), was the Palmieri trade + compounding it with an extension.

Everything, even those, were done with the end of 2 playoff runs, which were a lot of fun. Now the wheels are falling off. It happens. It doesn't bother me. There were more than one time when the Knicks had similar periods of fun playoff runs based upon veteran players + toughness. That's not what was wrong with Knicks management. What was wrong was figuring out that when that roster's time had come, they needed to plan to give 1.5-2 seasons to retool. They always failed.

I don't think that LL is going to put the Islanders in a Knicks situation just because he's old. I don't think he really needs to prove anything to anyone.

I think Mayfield will be moved, despite nobody liking it. I hope more pieces will be moved. I hope NYI are talking frankly to Sorokin, who hasn't played for a team that was certain to lose, which I believe NYI will e next year, since he was a 19-20 year old playing (literally) in Siberia. Because NYI absolutely cannot afford to lose him for nothing to free agency.

NYI are going to be bad next year, and being bad without a plan to change for '23-'24 could establish a Knick-like pattern. (I can't even compare NYI now to earlier versions of NYI, because of changs to ownership+arena.)

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I disagree. Mayfield is better than the way you and @YearlyLottery are portraying him to be.

LOL well my thoughts are my own, we did not consult each other..

Disagreement is good and makes for interesting conversation. I appreciate the comment but, curious what did you disagree with ? Do you not think he is a 4th or 5th defenseman on this team (Pelech/Dobson/Pulock would have to be our top 3, no?) or is it that I said he is flawed (most players are, Mayfield is solid defensively/shot blocking but is prone to turnovers and penalties at innopportune times IMHO ) Or was it the AAV I was talking about?

I like Mayfield, so was not dumping on him, but at the trade deadline, if we are sellers, I would think that he is one possible chip to move that could bring something of value back.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
LOL well my thoughts are my own, we did not consult each other..

Disagreement is good and makes for interesting conversation. I appreciate the comment but, curious what did you disagree with ? Do you not think he is a 4th or 5th defenseman on this team (Pelech/Dobson/Pulock would have to be our top 3, no?) or is it that I said he is flawed (most players are, Mayfield is solid defensively/shot blocking but is prone to turnovers and penalties at innopportune times IMHO ) Or was it the AAV I was talking about?

I like Mayfield, so was not dumping on him, but at the trade deadline, if we are sellers, I would think that he is one possible chip to move that could bring something of value back.
I have Mayfield ahead of Pulock.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I have Mayfield ahead of Pulock.
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree. Surprised you would say that but respect it. I still see Pulock as a legit top pair, although I wish he produced more offense. So maybe our disagreement is more on Pulock lol.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree. Surprised you would say that but respect it. I still see Pulock as a legit top pair, although I wish he produced more offense. So maybe our disagreement is more on Pulock lol.
Pulock tailed off the last 2 seasons. There’s a little bit of warm memories of that lock-down first pair of Pelech-Pulock were, but this year I remember several games before Pelech got hurt where we were asking if they both forgot how to play defense. Pulock also doesn’t go hard at the boards the way Mayfield does.
Add in that Pulock will never provide the offense that we were hoping for with that big shot of his. Total it all up and there’s nothing special about Ryan Pulock.

So if Mayfield can basically do what Pulock does defensively, plus will still make less than Pulock does after his next contract, and the choice is clear.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Pulock tailed off the last 2 seasons. There’s a little bit of warm memories of that lock-down first pair of Pelech-Pulock were, but this year I remember several games before Pelech got hurt where we were asking if they both forgot how to play defense. Pulock also doesn’t go hard at the boards the way Mayfield does.
Add in that Pulock will never provide the offense that we were hoping for with that big shot of his. Total it all up and there’s nothing special about Ryan Pulock.

So if Mayfield can basically do what Pulock does defensively, plus will still make less than Pulock does after his next contract, and the choice is clear.

Pulock didn't get his big contract through his offense though. He got it based on playing on that shutdown pairing with Pelech. While Pelech is certainly the better of the two I would still trade Mayfield and keep Pulock.

Reactions: 19 in a row

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Pulock didn't get his big contract through his offense though. He got it based on playing on that shutdown pairing with Pelech. While Pelech is certainly the better of the two I would still trade Mayfield and keep Pulock.
He absolutely got it because of his offensive potential. That had to be a part of the equation.

He QBs PP1. He should be docked pay for that.

Last edited:

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island

fair enough but I disagree... I think it would be a stretch to think that Mayfield will ever be a top pairing D for any coach in the NHL (he is also 2 years older so neither are kids) something which Pulock definitely has the skill set for, I think you are overstating Pulock's "downfall". His skill set (puck moving , passing , vision etc) is vastly superior to Mayfield who does block a lot of shots and I see as much more the blue collar defenseman . But hypothetically, even if I agreed with your points, Mayfield is very prone to turnovers, and penalties at the worst times. Too many mental mistakes. To me Mayfield is a middle pairing guy. I think Pulock will be much more like the player you saw a few years ago then the one you are describing. This team has been so out of synch for the last year plus with injuries etc.

My initial comments were rooted in who might be someone we should trade given the situation. I would love to keep Pelech, Pulock, Mayfield and Dobson. Pelech and Pulock have term and NTC , I doubt they are being moved. Mayfield is 30 and in the final year of a contract. If we are going to turn over this team at some point, our hands are tied for at least another year when Bailey, Beau, and Clutter have expiring deals. This year it is really only Varly, Mayfield and Parise (who I might deal just to give him a playoff run, he has been awesome IMO)

I will leave it there. feel free to comment.

Hey and you stopped saying hello to me at games..

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
He absolutely got it because of his offensive potential. That had to be a part of the equation.

He QBs PP1. He should be docked pay for that.
Doesn't Dobson QB PP1 now?

Agreed Pulock has not hit his offensive potential but I do think he is solid defensively and I am more comfortable with him against the other teams top line than I would ever be with Mayfield (and I am not trying to rip Mayfield, I just think that you may be undervaluing Pulock).

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Doesn't Dobson QB PP1 now?

Agreed Pulock has not hit his offensive potential but I do think he is solid defensively and I am more comfortable with him against the other teams top line than I would ever be with Mayfield (and I am not trying to rip Mayfield, I just think that you may be undervaluing Pulock).
At the time Pulock was signed he was on PP1

Reactions: 19 in a row

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Hey guys,
Lets assume Mayfield wants 4.5M X 5 years and Isles GM decides to move on from him
Would you consider a Jt. Miller for Mayfield + cap dump type deal?

I think the Canucks want to retool, rebuild, whatever you want to call it. Boeser, Jt. Miller, even Demko might be shipped out between this year and next year with Horvat probably in a month.
I think it would be cool to see Jt. with Barzal. I grew up 4 blocks away from him

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Hey guys,
Lets assume Mayfield wants 4.5M X 5 years and Isles GM decides to move on from him
Would you consider a Jt. Miller for Mayfield + cap dump type deal?

I think the Canucks want to retool, rebuild, whatever you want to call it. Boeser, Jt. Miller, even Demko might be shipped out between this year and next year with Horvat probably in a month.
I think it would be cool to see Jt. with Barzal. I grew up 4 blocks away from him
The Islanders haven't got the space for that kind of deal. Nucks would have to take on Palmieri too,

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
One blunder, which is best seen by hindsight, was not doing everything possible - including going into training camp with uncertainty - to keep Toews.

Another blunder, which was forseeable (I certainly didn't like it), was the Palmieri trade + compounding it with an extension.

Everything, even those, were done with the end of 2 playoff runs, which were a lot of fun. Now the wheels are falling off. It happens. It doesn't bother me. There were more than one time when the Knicks had similar periods of fun playoff runs based upon veteran players + toughness. That's not what was wrong with Knicks management. What was wrong was figuring out that when that roster's time had come, they needed to plan to give 1.5-2 seasons to retool. They always failed.

I don't think that LL is going to put the Islanders in a Knicks situation just because he's old. I don't think he really needs to prove anything to anyone.

I think Mayfield will be moved, despite nobody liking it. I hope more pieces will be moved. I hope NYI are talking frankly to Sorokin, who hasn't played for a team that was certain to lose, which I believe NYI will e next year, since he was a 19-20 year old playing (literally) in Siberia. Because NYI absolutely cannot afford to lose him for nothing to free agency.

NYI are going to be bad next year, and being bad without a plan to change for '23-'24 could establish a Knick-like pattern. (I can't even compare NYI now to earlier versions of NYI, because of changs to ownership+arena.)
The blunder was overpaying Pulock and Barzal…

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad