News Article: Scott Mayfield Future (NY Post article)

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

How much would you pay? Any guesses on what he gets? Guesses for open market and for us.

Comparables IMO are Manson, Oleksiak and Larsson.

I also consider how little he’s made but also lifestyle, based on the article I’d think he’d not try and squeeze for every dollar if it’s us.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

How much would you pay? Any guesses on what he gets? Guesses for open market and for us.

I also consider how little he’s made but also lifestyle, based on the article I’d think he’d not try and squeeze for every dollar if it’s us.
Great read. I suck at cap stuff but sounds like he won't hold us up.

The owner of the place I worked last before I retired couldn't pay me more, but treated me with utmost respect and gave me some perks and privliges. Sounds like those things are worth something to Mayfield too.

I hope we find a way to hang on to him.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

if he wants to stay here, i'm fine with that. he's very solid when need be, and I don't really complain about him unless he absolutely does make a stupid mistake. Isles need him to stay, since our defense has already been crumbling for the past few years.

Reactions: Mike C

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
if he wants to stay here, i'm fine with that. he's very solid when need be, and I don't really complain about him unless he absolutely does make a stupid mistake. Isles need him to stay, since our defense has already been crumbling for the past few years.
Another point is there is no one to replace him right now or years from now.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
He will make a bonehead play here and there but who of our guys doesn't!

He also gets put with our 6th (worst) D often which may make him look a little worse than need be. Has shown some O zone skills and there is something to be said for a good player who actually wants to stick around

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

... 2M? 2.5? A couple of extra goals have due to the new system have hid the fact that he's been pretty terrible defensively this year and realistically we can't afford more than that without moving out a contract. Hard to think he's in the plan for the future at this point - especially if we're out of it at the deadline. He'll get 3.5 to 4.5 on the open market, so unless he's looking to take a Cizikas like deal (that we shouldn't give him IMO) I don't see how we retain him.

Reactions: Glory Days

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
If hes looking for anymore then 3-3.5mil per season they need to let him walk. And he honestly probably deserves 4-4.5mil. Unless Pulock is moved out for a winger and Isles sign a bottom pair guy like Schenn then they cant afford 3rd pair Mayfield at more then that

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Not more than $5M/yr for 5 years. A little less cash for a 6th year. That's as much as I'd offer.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
How about 4 x 3.5
Way underpaid his entire career, will be among the top five UFA RDs (a group that includes Dumba, Klingberg, and Severson), a premium position. This would be yet another significant discount when he might get offered 5x5 elsewhere.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

He sounds like a great guy to keep in the organization. I just hope his next deal is no more than $4.5M/year and without the Cizikas loooong extension.

As a lifelong NYJ fan I also appreciate the pic in the article with him in a Jets jersey at MetLife.

Poor bastard. He deserves to stay here. Sign him Lou!

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Isles fans want a player on the cheap, then complain they can’t get a star to replace him.

There’s not enough free cash this offseason for premium offers based on the UFA pool. Those getting paid are going to bottom feeders.

JT Miller sure is happy his agent told him to sign last fall. Klingberg screwed up his career earnings by $30M+ last summer.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
unless he's looking to take a Cizikas like deal (that we shouldn't give him IMO) I don't see how we retain him
If you mean trading salary for term, that's kind of what I expect to see. He'll sign for something in the 6-8 year range at a lower number than he could get on the open market for 4-5 years.

Reactions: JKP and impaaaaaact

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Isles fans want a player on the cheap, then complain they can’t get a star to replace him.

There’s not enough free cash this offseason for premium offers based on the UFA pool. Those getting paid are going to bottom feeders.

JT Miller sure is happy his agent told him to sign last fall. Klingberg screwed up his career earnings by $30M+ last summer.
I would still rather keep mayfield than sign klingberg

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

It’s the Loudville $10 mentality that so many fans grew up with.

Reactions: Strummergas

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If they can’t agree to terms with Mayfield by the trade deadline they need to get assets for him.

Period.

Mayfield (who was on a sweetheart contract) would be stupid not to test free agency if he doesn’t agree to terms with NYI by the deadline, and with the way GM’s hand out contracts in the offseason there is a good chance NYI loses him for nothing.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
If they can’t agree to terms with Mayfield by the trade deadline they need to get assets for him.

Period.

Mayfield (who was on a sweetheart contract) would be stupid not to test free agency if he doesn’t agree to terms with NYI by the deadline, and with the way GM’s hand out contracts in the offseason there is a good chance NYI loses him for nothing.
I’d like him to stay at a number shy of $5M/year and for no more than 4 years.

Lou should give him his best offer now and if he says no, I completely agree that we need to trade him and get assets back at the TDL.

Reactions: MJF and Mike C

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Letting Mayfield walk over $1million would be a disaster. Cap space means nothing if you don't use it. Let's be honest with ourselves, we're not not going to get any star players on the free market. We never do and assuming we miss the playoffs the second time in a row, forget.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Letting Mayfield walk over $1million would be a disaster. Cap space means nothing if you don't use it. Let's be honest with ourselves, we're not not going to get any star players on the free market. We never do and assuming we miss the playoffs the second time in a row, forget.

I just don't know if hitching the wagon to Mayfield as a bottom pairing defenseman making close to $5 million is good cap wise.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I just don't know if hitching the wagon to Mayfield as a bottom pairing defenseman making close to $5 million is good cap wise.
He's been a good soldier and admittedly underpaid currently but, still flawed and a 4th or 5th defenseman, if the number is anything more than $3.5-$4M x 5 years I would try rather get an asset for him at the trade deadline. Maybe give him a 6th year if you need to. Pulock is at 6.15 AAV and Pelech 5.75M as our top pairing both 2 years younger than Mayfield. He is still in his prime but not young at 30 years old. I don't think he moves the needle enough for a contract >$4M AAV currently. If he gets it elsewhere I would wish him good luck and thank him for his service here.

And of course it is easy to say we would keep or not keep a player for $xxx but always have to factor in who we can replace him with if we didnt keep him. Also assuming we are not a cup contender this year, so unless a miracle happens and they find another gear and add a major scorer at the TDL, I dont mind trading assets.

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
He's been a good soldier and admittedly underpaid currently but, still flawed and a 4th or 5th defenseman, if the number is anything more than $3.5-$4M x 5 years I would try rather get an asset for him at the trade deadline. Maybe give him a 6th year if you need to. Pulock is at 6.15 AAV and Pelech 5.75M as our top pairing both 2 years younger than Mayfield. He is still in his prime but not young at 30 years old. I don't think he moves the needle enough for a contract >$4M AAV currently. If he gets it elsewhere I would wish him good luck and thank him for his service here.

And of course it is easy to say we would keep or not keep a player for $xxx but always have to factor in who we can replace him with if we didnt keep him. Also assuming we are not a cup contender this year, so unless a miracle happens and they find another gear and add a major scorer at the TDL, I dont mind trading assets.
Be interesting to see what happens. I'm high on Mayfield much less so on Pulock who I know is difficult to move.

No confidence trading him for 1st will result in right guy being picked and then how long till he pays dividends if that pick if even held on to

Reactions: Poulin 0n My St1ck

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Be interesting to see what happens. I'm high on Mayfield much less so on Pulock who I know is difficult to move.

No confidence trading him for 1st will result in right guy being picked and then how long till he pays dividends if that pick if even held on to

Pulock is a 1RD on a 6M a year contract. He's a great value for us, and because of that we could move him at any time. There's just not a great reason to do that unless someone was going to severely overpay.

Mayfield taking a hometown discount will probably look something like 4 x 6 for what will essentially be our 3RD. If you can pick up a replacement level 3RD for 2.5M less, PLUS pick up a 1st at the deadline that should be too much value to pass up.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Pulock is a 1RD on a 6M a year contract. He's a great value for us, and because of that we could move him at any time. There's just not a great reason to do that unless someone was going to severely overpay.

Mayfield taking a hometown discount will probably look something like 4 x 6 for what will essentially be our 3RD. If you can pick up a replacement level 3RD for 2.5M less, PLUS pick up a 1st at the deadline that should be too much value to pass up.
Doesn't Pulock have some type of no trade/no movement type thing in his deal? Not 100 percent on the parameters of that

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Doesn't Pulock have some type of no trade/no movement type thing in his deal? Not 100 percent on the parameters of that
I'm not sure - maybe he does. My main point was that there's really not a great reason to deal him. He's one half of one of the best D pairs in the league signed to a fair contract. We could get a haul for Mayfield based not only because of his past play in the playoffs but because of his contract, and there's a solid chance we lose him for nothing in the offseason anyway... and we already have 2 top 4 RHD under team control. IMO unless we're firmly in a playoff spot he should be dealt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad