Speculation: Scott Burnside: Kuemper to Colorado

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
For overall cap reasons if Keumper didn’t get claimed in the ED then the Avs would have his $4.5 on the books if they want to bring back Grub. Puts them in a weaker position to try to move Kuemper in the off season.
Who is a ufa goalie on a team that will miss the playoffs? Rinne from Nash?
Rinne has a NMC - this was a sticking point in his last contract. I don't think he wants to leave Nashville. There are lots of other UFA to be goalies but I don't see Rinne leaving.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is an absolutely horrible article. The Gaudreau to Toronto deal in the article would be instantly locked if made on this site. It's embarrassing.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Kuemper has another year left at $4.5 million. Teams are having difficulty with a flat cap and also paying out real dollars with the pandemic. Not to mention that Kuemper has been injury prone as of late and the last I heard he would be out with an injury for several more weeks. It is likely a limited market for him.

I am not sure that Colorado would be interested however. Colorado has no second round pick this year or next and Grubauer is the undisputed No. 1 for Colorado. If anything, Colorado likely looks at merely someone that is a true backup.

Burnside is being lazy with some of his speculation.

4.5 for a starting goal is pretty cheap.

Kuemper is easily > Grubauer..... so I hope you are right and COL doesn't trade for him.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
4.5M backup who has issues staying healthy, no thanks

Kuemper wouldn't replace Grubauer as the #1 and it would be a mistake to let Grubauer walk this summer

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Grubauer is capable but the more he plays, the drop off becomes significant. And with the problems Miska has had, it's been imperative that Grubauer play as much as possible.

I'm worried that the longer they wait to make a move, the better the goalie will need to be.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
So, in this hypothetical, Carolina is passing on a price like this for Kuemper to instead take on Quick’s contract. Burnside must be an Avs fan.

Kings can't trade Quick anyway, otherwise they'd have to expose Petersen.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Kuemper is easily > Grubauer..... so I hope you are right and COL doesn't trade for him.

Based on Grubauer's play this season, I would disagree with Kuemper easily being better than Grubauer. Kuemper's injury woes are nothing to scoff at either. I fully expect that Colorado will attempt to re-sign Grubauer and Francouz is still on the books for next season as well. It just doesn't work.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Avs don't have a 2nd in the next two drafts.

Barron + Fancouz would be interesting.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Well, technically Francouz hasn't dont anything, for anyone lately. Both goalies are bandaids though. Kuemper is out for the next few weeks as it is.

If Kuemper was healthy I'd have no issues with this deal. But, he's not. Meaning the Avs give up a 2nd to get a guy just as health risky and Frankie and IMO not even better.

This is QUITE the opinion....

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Kuemper has another year left at $4.5 million. Teams are having difficulty with a flat cap and also paying out real dollars with the pandemic. Not to mention that Kuemper has been injury prone as of late and the last I heard he would be out with an injury for several more weeks. It is likely a limited market for him.

I am not sure that Colorado would be interested however. Colorado has no second round pick this year or next and Grubauer is the undisputed No. 1 for Colorado. If anything, Colorado likely looks at merely someone that is a true backup.

Burnside is being lazy with some of his speculation.
If Arizona can retain close to 50% to get Kuemper's caphit down they might find that the market for him opens up and they'd likely be able to get a 1st for him then too.

At $2.25m x 2 he'd be considerably more interesting for Colorado, as that would mean that they could keep Kuemper as backup next season while still resigning Grubauer. They'd have to protect Kuemper though and roll the dice on Grubauer resigning on July 1st though, and that's a pretty big risk unless they have a handshake deal with Grubauer.

Something like Kuemper (50% retained) for Francouz + 1st could be a base, perhaps with Arizona throwing back a mid-round pick or prospect. That said, I'm not sure Sakic would want to part ways with a 1st for what would be a backup goalie though, especially given that he'd have to expose Grubauer in the ExD.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Grubauer is a top 5 goalie this year in every statistical category (min. 400 minutes played). Kuemper is not even top 15 in most categories, and also has recurring injury issues.

Grubauer:
  • 0.925 sv% - 5th
  • 1.82 GAA - 1st
  • 10.86 GSAA - 3rd
  • 0.862 HDSV% - 4th
Kuemper:
  • 0.914 sv% - 18th
  • 2.41 GAA - 13th
  • 3.55 GSAA - 17th
  • 0.787 HDSV% - 29th

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
How about Raanta for Helleson instead?
No thanks. Helleson is looking great in BC and is our direct replacement for Johnson in 2 years time.

If Avs are moving a RHD prospect it's most likely to be Timmins, for the simple fact that his ELC ends this year, meaning that Barron and Helleson's timelines suit the cap structure better in the next few years. Barron and Helleson are also much better skaters which suits the Avs style better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad