Speculation: Scott Burnside: Kuemper to Colorado

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
In an article in The Athletic, Scott Burnside took to trade speculation, in an arm-chair GM format. One trade he speculated on was Darcy Kuemper for Pavel Francouz and a 2nd round pick.

It seems clear with the long-term absence of excellent backup Pavel Francouz that the Avalanche are not going to be able to get out of the West Division, let alone win a Stanley Cup, with their current state of goaltending... Darcy Kuemper, however, has one more year left on his deal at $4.5 million and does not have trade protection... Perhaps adding Francouz, whom goaltending experts believe has NHL starter capability, plus perhaps a second-round pick for Kuemper is the smart play for the Coyotes.

Burnside: 6 NHL trade deadline deals I want to see happen
Burnside: 6 NHL trade deadline deals I want to see happen

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Wouldn’t the Coyotes fetch more? Or am I wrong? Especially at the fact that I wouldn’t want to be doing my division rivals a favor.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Trimmed down the quote. There is still a limit on how much material can be shared, especially if it is behind a paywall (e.g., The Athletic).

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Kuemper has another year left at $4.5 million. Teams are having difficulty with a flat cap and also paying out real dollars with the pandemic. Not to mention that Kuemper has been injury prone as of late and the last I heard he would be out with an injury for several more weeks. It is likely a limited market for him.

I am not sure that Colorado would be interested however. Colorado has no second round pick this year or next and Grubauer is the undisputed No. 1 for Colorado. If anything, Colorado likely looks at merely someone that is a true backup.

Burnside is being lazy with some of his speculation.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He must be going by what Lehner fetched last year. I don't think Kuemper, who has an extra year, will come that cheap.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
AVs has no 2nd for the next 2 seasons and wouldn’t be able to protect with the expansion draft. Doubtful they would offer anything significant and lose the player after this season.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
AVs has no 2nd for the next 2 seasons and wouldn’t be able to protect with the expansion draft. Doubtful they would offer anything significant and lose the player after this season.

Why wouldn't they be able to protect Kuemper? Grubauer is a UFA.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why wouldn't they be able to protect Kuemper? Grubauer is a UFA.
For overall cap reasons if Keumper didn’t get claimed in the ED then the Avs would have his $4.5 on the books if they want to bring back Grub. Puts them in a weaker position to try to move Kuemper in the off season.
Who is a ufa goalie on a team that will miss the playoffs? Rinne from Nash?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
For overall cap reasons if Keumper didn’t get claimed in the ED then the Avs would have his $4.5 on the books if they want to bring back Grub. Puts them in a weaker position to try to move Kuemper in the off season.
Who is a ufa goalie on a team that will miss the playoffs? Rinne from Nash?

Rinne, Dubnyk, Raanta (instead of Kuemper), Bernier, Hutton, Ullmark (injured).

There are quite a few UFA options if a team is looking to rent depth.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
...how is this any different than any HFBoard user saying "this is a trade I would like to see happen"??

Who cares what trades he "wants" to see happen? This is not speculation. Just fantasy dreaming.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’d do that if I’m Sakic. But I’m dubious of this speculation.

Avs don’t have a second round pick. Kuemper is now injured, coincidentally vs the Avs. Frankie also has an undisclosed injury of consequence.

So a 2nd rounder the Avs don’t have plus an injured goalie for another injured goalie? Timing is off here.

feels like pretty wild speculation that won’t be coming true anytime soon.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Why would Colorado need to add here and a 2nd at that? If we are going by HF logic in "what have you done for me lately" to determine worth then Francouz seems to hold more value no? Francouz makes more than half of what Kuemper makes has 1 more year on his contract also.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I don't see the point. The only reason we need another goalie is because our guys are either injured, or have injury concerns. Keumper doesn't do much to solve those problems, given his own injury issues over the last couple of seasons.

I'd much rather see if we can get Bernier or Ryan Miller for a mid/late round pick.

Reactions: Oblivion Beckons

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't see the point. The only reason we need another goalie is because our guys are either injured, or have injury concerns. Keumper doesn't do much to solve those problems, given his own injury issues over the last couple of seasons.

I'd much rather see if we can get Bernier or Ryan Miller for a mid/late round pick.

Bernier I would think is available. Miller I don't see moving unless he asks to be moved.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Got news for you, There's noway you're getting Bernier for a mid/late round pick. Bernier will get a late 2nd or 3rd round pick at the latest especially if Yzerman retained half or his $1,500,000 caphit.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Nothing from this article falls under speculation IMO, there are no rumors or anything here it's just Burnside dreaming up some trades.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Got news for you, There's noway you're getting Bernier for a mid/late round pick. Bernier will get a late 2nd or 3rd round pick at the latest especially if Yzerman retained half or his $1,500,000 caphit.

Is someone misunderstanding what is being said on HF really "news"? :sarcasm:

To be more clear.

A third is a "mid round pick", which is fair value for Bernier. I agree that he'd probably get a 2nd with retention, but the Avs don't really need retention on a rental.

A 5th is a "late round pick", which is probably fair for Miller, since there's speculation he may just retire, rather than accept a trade to somewhere he didn't want to go.

Therefore, I'd like to try to get one of them for a mid/late round pick.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Why would Colorado need to add here and a 2nd at that? If we are going by HF logic in "what have you done for me lately" to determine worth then Francouz seems to hold more value no? Francouz makes more than half of what Kuemper makes has 1 more year on his contract also.

Well, technically Francouz hasn't dont anything, for anyone lately. Both goalies are bandaids though. Kuemper is out for the next few weeks as it is.

If Kuemper was healthy I'd have no issues with this deal. But, he's not. Meaning the Avs give up a 2nd to get a guy just as health risky and Frankie and IMO not even better.

Reactions: BeastMode

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad