Scoring Depth Issues

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Domi Bertuzzi and Knies have been head scratchers in the goal department. Bert and Domi should have been easy 20 goals a piece. Especially Bertuzzi.

I'd still take this combo of 3 over many other depth options in the league as far as playoffs are concerned though.

Bertuzzi is always battling in front of the net to the very last second when we're behind in games.

I think the Leafs are going to be like the 2018 Blues. First half "wtf" then they slap you around in the second half.

Not sure if I agree but I sure hope you’re right. But man do we ever need another top 4 defenseman or two on this team.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I mean Bert's been a 30 goal scorer, on pace for 10ish. Domi a 20G person last year, on pace for less than half. Both tried in a higher role and relegated due to poor play.

Lota of issues with this team and JT is definitely one. Good defensive players help insulate weak D and Tre brought in offensive players who can't produce. Domi and Bert are problems right now.

Domi is atleast a good playmaker who can carry the puck though. Though it is hilarious to me how Lafferty who was let go has more goals than any of our acquisitions or Robertson and Knies, while also being a pretty effective defensive player.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Domi Bertuzzi and Knies have been head scratchers in the goal department. Bert and Domi should have been easy 20 goals a piece. Especially Bertuzzi.

I'd still take this combo of 3 over many other depth options in the league as far as playoffs are concerned though.

Bertuzzi is always battling in front of the net to the very last second when we're behind in games.

I think the Leafs are going to be like the 2018 Blues. First half "wtf" then they slap you around in the second half.

Domi has averaged 14.4 GP/82 game pace the last four years.
Bertuzzi had 8 goals last year.... and only 6 this year... Sure, he had better success previously...but not in the last two years.

I'm not sure we should really be expecting 20 goals from either of these guys. Domi is more of an assist guy.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Don Cherry would describe this team as having European skill but lacking North American heart.

I guess Treliving thinks cups are won on the backs of small soft 35 point players. None of his big name signings are working out. He gave Bertuzzi and Domi $8.5M for TEN GOALS ffs.

His only redeeming point is that the worst goalie in the league last year went on a heater at the exact right time to save the season.

Getting lucky isn't much of a redeeming point if you ask me. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then. He's literally batting .000 when it comes to the secondary scoring he brought in.

Considering the mess Treliving left Calgary in I think we can safely lay to rest the idea he can manage an NHL team.

I don't think he could even manage a Boston Pizza. His dad must be dismayed watching his son trash a second multi-billion dollar franchise. At this point ML$E should just hire Don Cherry.

He'd teach these softies what it takes to win it all.

Reactions: Drytoast

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If Mitch is so great, than perhaps put him with Bertuzzi and see if he can get him going. Matthews does not need Marner on his line to produce, maybe try Domi there, he seems to be able to pass the puck well.

You have Nylander dragging around a couple of lumps and producing. If depth scoring is the concern, than just spread it out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm really excited about next year because then the Leafs can have an $11 mil or more player on all 4 individual lines.

Many teams don't even have full 3rd or 4th lines that add up to $11 mil combined.

Watching each of Auston, Mitch, Willy and JT drive their own lines will give the Leafs endless depth.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I find it odd that Domi is getting mentioned a lot in a negative light. The guy plays 12 minutes a game with limited PP time and is on a 50 point pace..

Him and Robertson both are 4th and 5th on the team in points/60 minutes and Domi is 2nd in assists/60 behind only Nylander.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
If Mitch is so great, than perhaps put him with Bertuzzi and see if he can get him going. Matthews does not need Marner on his line to produce, maybe try Domi there, he seems to be able to pass the puck well.

You have Nylander dragging around a couple of lumps and producing. If depth scoring is the concern, than just spread it out.

This.

The narrative is Mitch makes everyone better, yet he is glued to Matthews.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I find it odd that Domi is getting mentioned a lot in a negative light. The guy plays 12 minutes a game with limited PP time and is on a 50 point pace..

Him and Robertson both are 4th and 5th on the team in points/60 minutes and Domi is 2nd in assists/60 behind only Nylander.
It's agenda based I'm certain. Domi's easily earned his money so far.

Domi and Bert aren't cheap players and don't bring much outside offense
Lol Domi is on one year making 3 million. He's plenty cheap. Take it easy on the melodramatic takes.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It's the stupid penalties and his play on the defensive side that is an issue.
I'm biased though, never wanted him here in the first place.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I actually thought his defensive weaknesses were a bit overstated before the season. He's not great but I don't think he's a full on liability like some were saying.

I like that they got Robertson back with him, should help the offense out a fair bit.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Right but this thread is specifically complaining about scoring depth lol. Of all the things, his production is not an issue IMO. Sure, some more goals would be nice, but he's never been a big goal scorer.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm really excited about next year because then the Leafs can have an $11 mil or more player on all 4 individual lines.

Many teams don't even have full 3rd or 4th lines that add up to $11 mil combined.

Watching each of Auston, Mitch, Willy and JT drive their own lines will give the Leafs endless depth.
This. If they wanna get paid their absurd cap hits, they can each have their own line.

This thread makes me laugh. Like yea, no shit a team with half its cap spent on 4 players has depth issues.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Domi gets hemmed in a lot in his own zone but seems like one of the few Leafs that can go on the rush and also is a nifty playmaker. One of those guys you wish they would trust more, get more reps and integrate better.

Reactions: 1specter

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Matthews, Marner, Nylander should all be on 3 different lines. One of Marner or Nylander should feast against those 3rd pair matchups.
A Matthews B
C Nylander D
Knies Domi Marner
Tavares Kampf E

A, B, C, D and E are (in no particular order) Bertuzzi, Gregor, Holmberg, Jarnkrok, McMann, and Robertson (oh, all right, alphabetic order). Mix and match to see what works best, then LEAVE THEM THAT WAY!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This. If they wanna get paid their absurd cap hits, they can each have their own line.

This thread makes me laugh. Like yea, no shit a team with half its cap spent on 4 players has depth issues.

Given how hard it’s been to acquire a few good depth players (and not because of lack of money as this off-season showed) what makes people think we could ice a team full of them if we got rid of a few of the big 4?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Given how hard it’s been to acquire a few good depth players (and not because of lack of money as this off-season showed) what makes people think we could ice a team full of them if we got rid of a few of the big 4?
The right management identifies the right players. Two guys who would look phenomenal in the lineup right now, Marchment and Verhaeghe, were already given away by this team. The pick used on Seth Jarvis was also given away because of cap mismanagement. Not being able to afford Hyman too.

I'm just gunna name some random forwards around the league who've been moved before and are providing good value for their cap hits: Vatrano, Crouse, Coyle, Zacha, Wood, Duchene, Bennett, Moore (another former Leaf lol), Monahan, ROR, Toffoli, Rakell, McCann (lol), Tolvanen, Buchneivich, Schenn, Paul, Miller (before his extension, which even now he's still a bargain)...

You could get 6 (give or take) of the guys in the above paragraphs for what Tavares/Marner/Nylander are making. Imagine how much better off this team would be if you put Matthews on his own line and then essentially had 2 full lines of those guys I listed. Or could actually affkrd some defence.

Sure some were traded and they costs assets, but it's not like this team hasn't blown picks/prospects on worse options over the years.

For the record I actually do like Bertuzzi and Domi, Kneis is pulling his weight on an ELC too. But those 3 simply aren't enough depth.

Reactions: BallardEra

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
You can't pay for depth cause the top guys make all the money

You don't have enough cheap depth because you've traded a lot of picks for veteran rentals

The players that did sign here were abysmal failures that contribute nothing

Cool beans

^^
Underrated.

We should have 5x Knies and few Ds we picked on the roster by now. The worst part is we won't draft our Bergeron for years thanks to Dubas.

But we are blaming Tre ... I'm starting to think Dubas had one plan, trade all the picks away, once it produced nothing he was out of moves, made up family issues and ran away.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Domi has been a better/similar version of Kase when he was on the leafs

Good 45-50 pt guy, who has offensive skill and can move up the line up.
The word good does not describe Domi.
Slow, quiet, passionless, unproductive, weak defensively are more accurate.
Line 3 is a defensive line with a center that should pot 15 goals, win faceoffs at 58%. That is what he needs to do to help us win.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Don Cherry would describe this team as having European skill but lacking North American heart.

I guess Treliving thinks cups are won on the backs of small soft 35 point players. None of his big name signings are working out. He gave Bertuzzi and Domi $8.5M for TEN GOALS ffs.

His only redeeming point is that the worst goalie in the league last year went on a heater at the exact right time to save the season.

Getting lucky isn't much of a redeeming point if you ask me. Even a blind squirrel can find a nut every now and then. He's literally batting .000 when it comes to the secondary scoring he brought in.

Considering the mess Treliving left Calgary in I think we can safely lay to rest the idea he can manage an NHL team.

I don't think he could even manage a Boston Pizza. His dad must be dismayed watching his son trash a second multi-billion dollar franchise. At this point ML$E should just hire Don Cherry.

He'd teach these softies what it takes to win it all.
The problem is the Dubas situation left Shanahan in a pickle of having to hire an experienced GM in a short amount of time to negotiate the Matthews contract.

I'm feeling fairly certain that Dubas was approached illegally by Pittsburgh and offered a deal that caused Dubas to suddenly demand for more. (if we go with Shanahan's telling of the story, which I do). So the Leafs should be investigating the Penguins for that bullshit.

I'm not overly fond of Dubas, just pointing out that he helped put us in this situation of having to hire a Treliving.

We are f***ed. Both short term and long term. Treliving isn't the guy. And Keefe isn't the coach. Tavares certainly isn't the captain. And as for Shanahan? I liked what he had done when he first got here. But he's part of the problem with his need to meddle in the affairs of the GM.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
I'm feeling fairly certain that Dubas was approached illegally by Pittsburgh and offered a deal that caused Dubas to suddenly demand for more. (if we go with Shanahan's telling of the story, which I do). So the Leafs should be investigating the Penguins for that bullshit.
Nobody owes us anything for the Dubas debacle. MLSE deserves everything they got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad