Scoring Depth Issues

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There's approx 24M being spent on those 6 players. 4 of them are making 2+M.

Domi and Bert aren't cheap players and don't bring much outside offense
They were brought in for playoff performance .. when things get tougher in playoffs you need guys who fight for pucks to da death .. they have never been good regular season players .. you won't see what they bring til then .. but they ain't da problem with this team .. they are da 5th or 10th issue .. JT is da single biggest problem at C and then only 1 top 4 D on roster .. these are da real issues which need addressed ASAP

Reactions: OddyOh and LeafEgo

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Sure we can rag on the goaltending and defence all day long (rightfully so) but depth scoring is a huge concern with this team:

Bertuzzi - 1 goal in last 25
Kampf - 1 goal in last 19
Gregor - 1 goal in last 19
Knies - 1 goal in last 16
Domi - 1 goal in last 14
Tavares - 1 goal in last 11

That is simply not good enough for any long term success especially come playoff time.

How do we fix this?

Discuss.
We fixed it by signing Nylander to 11.5 next season.

Problem solved.

I think you at least have to bring in a new coach to try something different at this point.
This is honestly their only hope to salvage this team before you tear it down.

Reactions: BallardEra

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
They were brought in for playoff performance .. when things get tougher in playoffs you need guys who fight for pucks to da death .. they have never been good regular season players .. you won't see what they bring til then .. but they ain't da problem with this team .. they are da 5th or 10th issue .. JT is da single biggest problem at C and then only 1 top 4 D on roster .. these are da real issues which need addressed ASAP
I mean Bert's been a 30 goal scorer, on pace for 10ish. Domi a 20G person last year, on pace for less than half. Both tried in a higher role and relegated due to poor play.

Lota of issues with this team and JT is definitely one. Good defensive players help insulate weak D and Tre brought in offensive players who can't produce. Domi and Bert are problems right now.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I mean Bert's been a 30 goal scorer, on pace for 10ish. Domi a 20G person last year, on pace for less than half. Both tried in a higher role and relegated due to poor play.

Lota of issues with this team and JT is definitely one. Good defensive players help insulate weak D and Tre brought in offensive players who can't produce. Domi and Bert are problems right now.
They are you are right but my point was until JT is moved to wing and our D is revamped these 2 guys aren't going to change da game outcomes even if they scored a little more here and there

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Frustratingly the offseason strategy was clearly to bet on offensively inclined, poor defensive guys and that's flopped. And we ended up relying even more on the core guys for goals lol.

Domi has been fine given the more limited usage. Knies as a rookie is more understandable. Would be nice to have a do-over on the 12 mil spent on a Burt, Ryan and Klingberg

Reactions: arso40

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Is there anyway to get rid of Bertuzzi and get something decent in return?

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I think you at least have to bring in a new coach to try something different at this point.
It's kind of absurd they havn't.

After extending Matthews and Nylander, outside of convincing Marner or Tavares to waive, it is their only move.

Reactions: BallardEra

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
You'd think with Matthews scoring 70, Nylander having a career year, and Marner being called non-scoring winger one too many times - now going for the most goals scored.

We should have more than enough goals.

Also we shouldn't expect Domi to score. Fillers are here to fill the roster, that's it. The rest is on the core.

"Come on Gregor it's all up to you with your 10 min a game !!". Depth issues my ass, we have no D and rookie goalie. I don't want to hear sh*t about our scoring :D

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I just believe Keefe doesn't get enough out of the players he has.

The top 4 are going to perform regardless of who is head coach but we've seen

Moore, Marchment, Vesey, Noesen, Lafferty and Gustafsson (just off the top of my head) move elsewhere and do better. We seemingly have the answers most years but the coach doesn't know how to get anything out of them.

A coaching change pretty much right now is probably the smart way to go because you could potentially salvage the season rather than wait until it is too late. I would need to know at the TDL if I am selling or buying.
Moore and Marchment only played a couple of games under Keefe. Pretty hard to make any assumption based on them.

That does not mean I don't believe you are correct. I just don't think those 2 can be used in your point

Reactions: Menzinger

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Undoubtedly. But Tre will push it as long as he can, more than likely until the offseason. As soon as Keefe is fired the clock actually starts to tick on Tre.
Imagine he had fired Keefe in the summer and the new coach was getting similar results....they media would be screeching about Tre....now they just focus on Keefe. He sounds like a survivor...that doesn't mean he is good at his job though...I want to see what he does with a full off-season to deal with this mess before I pass total judgement.

Reactions: TMLife17

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Imagine he had fired Keefe in the summer and the new coach was getting similar results....they media would be screeching about Tre....now they just focus on Keefe. He sounds like a survivor...that doesn't mean he is good at his job though...I want to see what he does with a full off-season to deal with this mess before I pass total judgement.
Seems to be a logical thing to give Tre some time, although he always looks stunned. People here still love the ex GM and he sucked for 5 years.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Seems to be a logical thing to give Tre some time, although he always looks stunned. People here still love the ex GM and he sucked for 5 years.

It's easy to judge Tre after Dubas overpaid everyone and wasted a roster of picks.

Reactions: rutz

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Frustratingly the offseason strategy was clearly to bet on offensively inclined, poor defensive guys and that's flopped. And we ended up relying even more on the core guys for goals lol.

Domi has been fine given the more limited usage. Knies as a rookie is more understandable. Would be nice to have a do-over on the 12 mil spent on a Burt, Ryan and Klingberg

In 1997-98, the Leafs scored 194 goals under a supposedly defensive coach Mike Murphy for 4th worst in the 26 team league, and then in 1998-99, under Pat Quinn they somehow shot to 1st overall with 268 goals with a lot of the same personnel. I think this season our middle lineup forwards are just not deployed in a way where they can get any kind of traction. Goes straight to Keefe.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
You can't pay for depth cause the top guys make all the money

You don't have enough cheap depth because you've traded a lot of picks for veteran rentals

The players that did sign here were abysmal failures that contribute nothing

Cool beans

Reactions: Arzak

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Moore and Marchment only played a couple of games under Keefe. Pretty hard to make any assumption based on them.

That does not mean I don't believe you are correct. I just don't think those 2 can be used in your point

They were dismissed pretty quickly and didn't get meaningful minutes, found homes elsewhere.

Even Noesen, when we got him in the whole Foligno 3-way, I was actually psyched.

Reactions: Jojalu

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Sure we can rag on the goaltending and defence all day long (rightfully so) but depth scoring is a huge concern with this team:

Bertuzzi - 1 goal in last 25
Kampf - 1 goal in last 19
Gregor - 1 goal in last 19
Knies - 1 goal in last 16
Domi - 1 goal in last 14
Tavares - 1 goal in last 11

That is simply not good enough for any long term success especially come playoff time.

How do we fix this?

Discuss.
Terrible stats.

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You can't pay for depth cause the top guys make all the money

You don't have enough cheap depth because you've traded a lot of picks for veteran rentals

The players that did sign here were abysmal failures that contribute nothing

Cool beans

We have fairly healthy offensive depth that’s under performing. Under different circumstances you could maybe pad out 3 different lines with:

Matthews
Marner-Nylander
Tavares

And sprinkle in Bert, Domi, Jarnkrok, Knies, Holmberg or Robertson whatever where you need them. That’s already a top 9 with a high priced star on each line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad