Schultz off season training

CanadianCommie

Cold North Comrade
Jul 25, 2006
Sherwood Park, AB
It's fine and all that he's trying to get stronger, but he needs to learn how to actually use it.

he can be the strongest hockey player in the world, but if he can't wrap his head around actually utilizing it, then there's not a lot of point to it.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I'm one that wishes Schultz a good year as well.

He was ripped on way too much afaic.

But at 24, he continues to get tossed around like a rag doll. He clearly hadn't been putting in the work at the gym because even he admitted he needed to really step it up this summer. Funny how suddenly he's been in the gym pretty much 7 days a week since his season ended.

He gets alot of flak because he deserves it. Yes, he hasn't had the help, but neither has the entire team. I don't want to sound harsh, but that's the reality. He hasn't taken being a pro seriously enough and now it has almost cost him. It's now or never for him with his one year deal.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I haven't seen this article posted yet, so I thought I'd share:

http://www.tsn.ca/the-quirky-justin-schultz-question-1.347216

It's interesting because it confirms what a lot of us have complained about Schultz: for an offensive d-man, he has no long-range shot to speak of. No big slapper, no one timer, no point shot. All he's got is his wrist shot, and he's trying to sneak in to use it far too often. This leads to his being out of position on defensive plays and being unable to keep the puck in at the blue line (though he also seemed to fumble the puck a lot there...). It also, as the article mentions, means that our better in-close shooters (our top-end forwards) aren't getting the chance to shoot instead.

Honestly, his lack of shot options is what worries me more than his lack of grit, as has been focused on in this thread. As someone else mentioned earlier, he's never going to be Chara or Weber - the kind of top-end d-man he should be hoping to emulate is Nick Lidstrom or perhaps Karlsson. These guys might not be super physical, gritty dmen, but they have/had a wide range of tools and this is a big part of their great play. Justin does not have all that many tools - he has a wrist shot, pretty good passing, nice skating, and pretty good offensive awareness. If he doesn't expand the tools he has available, I'm skeptical he'll ever amount to more than a number 5 PP dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad