Scheifele vs Draisaitl

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Drai needs to have a season driving a line on his own before I'm ready to say he's the better man in this poll.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Drai. He is 4 years younger and similar production. His contract is much worse though.

Why do people keep saying Drai needs to play center and away from McDavid? He played Center the year before at 19 with zero time with McDavid and got 51 points in 72 games (Almost 60 Point pace).

I would be more concerned with Scheifele's on ice shooting percentage and how unsustainable it is.

Draisaitl is only 2.5 years younger than Scheifele (born October 1995 vs. March 1993). Scheifele was scrawny at 18 and 19 and developed a bit later than Draisaitl.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Scheifele has already done what the optimistic people think Leon is going to do away from McDavid.

They could be right but this shouldn't be close.

didn't Scheifele play with Laine all season? what some fans insinuate is that Leon only got 77 points because he played alongside Connor but Scheifele got 80+ because he's a #1 center. wouldn't both Leon and Mark's numbers be inflated a little because of whom they played with? i'm a fan of both players and glad the Jets didn't pick Couturier because I thought they were going to, so I don't believe you can pick one over the other just yet, though I can see why some might pick Mark because of the fact he still plays center and is the #1 on the Jets. he'd still be #2 behind Connor if he were with the Oilers.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
didn't Scheifele play with Laine all season? what some fans insinuate is that Leon only got 77 points because he played alongside Connor but Scheifele got 80+ because he's a #1 center. wouldn't both Leon and Mark's numbers be inflated a little because of whom they played with? i'm a fan of both players and glad the Jets didn't pick Couturier because I thought they were going to, so I don't believe you can pick one over the other just yet, though I can see why some might pick Mark because of the fact he still plays center and is the #1 on the Jets. he'd still be #2 behind Connor if he were with the Oilers.

Playing wing on McDavids line is not comparable to playing center with Laine on your wing.

Laine is a good player but he was a rookie. Hell, I think Wheeler was still better last year.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Playing wing on McDavids line is not comparable to playing center with Laine on your wing.

Laine is a good player but he was a rookie. Hell, I think Wheeler was still better last year.

I thought Scheifele's most common linemates were Liane, Wheeler and Ehlers.
those are a pretty great group of wingers to have and definitely makes his job easier.
Even if Liane was a rook, he was impactful AF on the ice

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
those are a pretty great group of wingers to have and definitely makes his job easier.

Still a center, still not McDavid.

Not even in the same ballpark haha. Give Leon Puljivarri and Lucic or RNH next year and I won't hold it against him

Last edited:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg

Laine was opportunistic and heavily reliant on Scheifele/Little + Ehlers/Perreault to do the heavy lifting along the boards offensively. He was mostly 3rd man back waiting for a pass in the offensive zone. My biggest critiques of Laine were that his acceleration was slow and he let his linemates do a lot of the work so he could put pucks in the net. It's not to say he didn't have some great moments that he drove himself, but when you watch him shift to shift he needed to be more engaged in the forecheck anticipating the play instead of watching it. I'm hoping to see some improvements in both areas this season.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'll say Scheif as of now but after watching Leon in last seasons playoffs I think he has a lot of potential to unlock. If he can manage to be a top 6C and have similar production away from McD it will be Leon all the way. They both play very different games and bring something exciting to the table. Hoping Leon can find that gear and ride it through a whole season as a Center. But also hoping he doesn't because the Oilers have always been the thorn in our side.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I would say Scheifiele for now, but Drai has more time to develop. In 4 years he could be a solid #2 centre, with Scheifele obviously superior, or he could be one of the best centres in the game a shade or two below Malkin.

Scheifele also has what will be the best contract in the NHL. He is getting paid like he signed that deal in 2011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad