Salary Cap: Scheifele new contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Personally, I'd expect it to be in between 6-7mil if they want 8 years, most likely in the 6.25 - 6.5 range.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
So it says the Jets organization handed out 8 qualifying offers.Does that mean now they are waiting for their agents to respond on if they accept them?

Doubtful any QO will be accepted. The team has to issue them before the deadline to retain the rights to their RFAs. It's for that purpose that QOs were issued, not for the purpose of agreeing to said QO.

m.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
I am not even going to try to guess what Shief will get but I do want to propose a question is that now that Laine is here with us could that sway Shief in excepting a tiny little less just for the fact he can get to play with Laine?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
You guys are throwing a lot of cash at a player that has had 1/2 season of really good production playing top line minutes.

I hope he AAV is more reasonable than what some are proposing.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You guys are throwing a lot of cash at a player that has had 1/2 season of really good production playing top line minutes.

I hope he AAV is more reasonable than what some are proposing.

To get a reasonable AAV it would take a bridge deal. And it might be really scary once that bridge is over. Montreal played hardball with PK and forced him onto a bridge.Now they're paying him $9M instead of $5.5M

Sometimes a GM needs to make a bet on a player. Eventually we will need to pay Mr. Laine. Hopefully Scheifele looks like a bargain by then. That's the theory behind it.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sometimes a GM needs to make a bet on a player. Eventually we will need to pay Mr. Laine. Hopefully Scheifele looks like a bargain by then. That's the theory behind it.

Nah, them Finnish 2OAs are quite affordable. See: Barkov.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
To get a reasonable AAV it would take a bridge deal. And it might be really scary once that bridge is over. Montreal played hardball with PK and forced him onto a bridge.Now they're paying him $9M instead of $5.5M

A good part of that theory is factoring in decent growth in the salary cap. If the cap is flatlining, then a high AAV for an RFA player is absorbing more risk.

I expect Chevy to be aware of this to not pay him like he was a UFA.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A good part of that theory is factoring in decent growth in the salary cap. If the cap is flatlining, then a high AAV for an RFA player is absorbing more risk.

I expect Chevy to be aware of this to not pay him like he was a UFA.

On a 6 year deal he'll be in the same ball park as Barkov and Forsberg as they are his closest comparables.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Is anyone concerned that they haven't signed either of these two big RFA's before July 1. Maybe today they will announce. What does that say if they make it to July 1 without being signed? Management is playing it hard?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
6 x $6M seems to be the going rate

We don't have a comp for an 8 year deal. It would be less than Stamkos who just signed 8 x $8.5M. How much less?

8 yrs $50M (6.25 AAV - $8M per for the extra 2 years)
8 yrs $52M (6.5 AAV - $9M per for the extra 2 years)

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Is anyone concerned that they haven't signed either of these two big RFA's before July 1. Maybe today they will announce. What does that say if they make it to July 1 without being signed? Management is playing it hard?

Nope, not concerned at all. Chevy has never moved at speed in signing RFAs. IIRC we didn't get Kane signed until just before training camp. Bogo, Wheeler and Little were all up for renewal in the same year and Chevy dawdled along on that too, signing them later in July I think (2012?).

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

There is no rush with RFA's who don't have arbitration rights.

Mackinnon
Ristalainen
Monahan
Gaudreau
Lindholm

Among many others have not signed yet.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Nope, not concerned at all. Chevy has never moved at speed in signing RFAs. IIRC we didn't get Kane signed until just before training camp. Bogo, Wheeler and Little were all up for renewal in the same year and Chevy dawdled along on that too, signing them later in July I think (2012?).

Yup. Late July is when these deals have been getting done with the Jets. I expect a couple to come earlier. Lowry and Armia in particular. The bigger deals towards the end of July.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Chef now needs 8x8 because he's better than Trouba, and Stamkos, but Fefe hasn't earned Stamkos rep yet so Scheifele will take at little less than Stammer.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Conservatively speaking, if Schief and Trouba each sign for 6M, our cap space is down to 3M.... Still need to sign Lowry, Armia and Tanev. The numbers aren't working. I'm expecting some buyouts (eg. Stuart, Pavs) to make this work.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Conservatively speaking, if Schief and Trouba each sign for 6M, our cap space is down to 3M.... Still need to sign Lowry, Armia and Tanev. The numbers aren't working. I'm expecting some buyouts (eg. Stuart, Pavs) to make this work.

Lowry and Armia won't be that expensive, and tanev likely won't be in the NHL

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

No. A roster only has 23 players, not 29. The numbers work.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
No. A roster only has 23 players, not 29. The numbers work.

Wheeler - 5.6
Scheifele - 6 (?)
Little - 4.7
Stafford - 4.35
Laine - 3.575
Perreault - 3
Matthias - 2.125
Ehlers - 1.594
Burmistrov - 1.55
Thorburn - 1.2
Copp - .925
Dano - .925
Lowry - 1.5 (?)
Armia - 1.5 (?)

Byfuglien - 7.6
Enstrom - 5.75
Trouba - 6 (?)
Myers - 5.5
Stuart - 2.625
Postma - .887
Chiarot - .850

Pavelec - 3.9
Hutchinson - 1.15

If I guess this to be the 23-man roster (this doesn't include Connor 1.775, Morrissey 1.363, etc..), and I guess Scheifele and Trouba sign for 6 million each, Lowry and Armia 1.5 each, total cap hit = $72.806

Salary Cap $73 million

Unless I am adding/doing something wrong, that's really close.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
And this is why I made an unimpressed face at friends who all said we should sign Okposo cause OMG TOP TALENT!!! What about when all these young guys need raises :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad