GDT: SCF Game 2: Florida Panthers Vs Vegas Golden Knights | 5:00PM | 1 game in and I have to pull this from the vaults

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
People always say this but I disagree. First, if we win all our home games we win. But more importantly, to win a championship you need to win on the road. And being at home isn’t a huge advantage anyway.

Both of these teams have won several road games in the playoffs; that’s why they are the last 2 teams remaining.
You contradicted yourself there...

First you say you disagree. Then explain to win a championship you need to win on the road.

So what do you actually believe?

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I do think the rust may have affected Florida. But it doesn’t take away the cup, the rings, the parade, the wins, etc. IF they happen (this series isn’t over if Florida wins game 3 so I’m not counting them out).

I think we lost to Montreal in the playoffs because Stone was hurt. But I’m not 100% sure, maybe they win anyway if Stone was healthy. And they still win the series and the trophy that year despite any hypotheticals I might speculate about.

You contradicted yourself there...

First you say you disagree. Then explain to win a championship you need to win on the road.

So what do you actually believe?

The saying makes it sound like going up 2-0 doesn’t matter. Florida didn’t win on the road in games 1 and 2. Maybe they will in game 5 or 7 (or both). But games 1 and 2 still matter.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I do think the rust may have affected Florida. But it doesn’t take away the cup, the rings, the parade, the wins, etc. IF they happen (this series isn’t over if Florida wins game 3 so I’m not counting them out).

I think we lost to Montreal in the playoffs because Stone was hurt. But I’m not 100% sure, maybe they win anyway if Stone was healthy. And they still win the series and the trophy that year despite any hypotheticals I might speculate about.

The saying makes it sound like going up 2-0 doesn’t matter. Florida didn’t win on the road in games 1 and 2. Maybe they will in game 5 or 7 (or both). But games 1 and 2 still matter.

That's not what the saying means. It's that you aren't in trouble until you lose at home.

Florida would definitely have liked a win in Vegas but they aren't in serious trouble unless they lose one of the games in Florida.

If Florida wins game 3, the pressure Vegas feels in game 4 is probably once again equal to Florida, as dropping two in a row and going back home would mean Vegas would be feeling the pressure in game 5 more than Florida.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

I never said it didn't matter...but it has been an awful long time since the last time a team has only won their home games to win the cup in the finals.

I don't doubt that vegas could be that team because of the home advantage they have with how loud it get's and the feeling of the crowd on top of you, but point still stands.

(i don't count covid cup 2020 since no one played at home)
2022 - COL had to win @ TB game 3
2021 - TB won @ MTL
2019 - STL won at BOS in game 7
2018 - WSH won @ VGK
2017 - PIT won @ NSH
2016 - PIT won @ SJS

Again, not saying they shouldn't just "win at home to win the whole thing", but history tells us, that if you win on the road (especially in the finals), then your chances are higher to win the cup. I mean, if VGK wins game 4 (i really don't see them winning game 3 but we shall see), then their path to the cup is that much easier by only needing to win 1 of 2 at home.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
That's not what the saying means. It's that you aren't in trouble until you lose at home.

Florida would definitely have liked a win in Vegas but they aren't in serious trouble unless they lose one of the games in Florida.

If Florida wins game 3, the pressure Vegas feels in game 4 is probably once again equal to Florida, as dropping two in a row and going back home would mean Vegas would be feeling the pressure in game 5 more than Florida.

That’s the part I disagree with. I think losing the first 2 on the road does mean you’re in serious trouble. Games 3 and 4 are must wins for Florida. And now they have to win 4 out of 5 to win the series.

Of course Florida could win those games. But if they do, I don’t think being at home will affect the outcome that much. They might win because they made good adjustments, or they executed/played better, because they are the more desperate team, the refs, injuries, or some combination of those.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

To add, if florida wins game 3 and 4, regardless of dominance in the games, VGK will have to go home with a little more anxiety in game 5 then what FLA is going to feel.

Then, if VGK wins game 5 (3-2 series lead), then the anxiety get's higher on FLA at home game 6, even though VGK will most likely "grip their sticks" a hell of a lot more (to finally win the cup) than FLA would be because they are going to just go balls out to win. Then if it get's crazy and FLA wins at home game 6 (3-3 series tied), then VGK will have a lot more pressure to win than FLA is in the grand scheme of things.

I am willing to bet that if both teams win at home and it comes down to game 7, (so both teams won their 3 games at home), then FLA ends up winning in Game 7.

NOW, if vegas wins at florida in any of their 3 games and the series goes to game 7, most likely VGK wins game 7.

It's a lot of sports psychology and if you have ever been in a 7-game series and dealt with a lot of the mental pressure (i have, obviously not in NHL), then you know how they are thinking. They can say they aren't gripping their sticks harder or are going to stay aggressive, but reality says they are tensing up more and are going to errr on the side of passive caution than being aggressive in most situations because they don't want to be the guy that "loses the cup" from one play.

Last edited:

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I never said it didn't matter...but it has been an awful long time since the last time a team has only won their home games to win the cup in the finals.

I don't doubt that vegas could be that team because of the home advantage they have with how loud it get's and the feeling of the crowd on top of you, but point still stands.

(i don't count covid cup 2020 since no one played at home)
2022 - COL had to win @ TB game 3
2021 - TB won @ MTL
2019 - STL won at BOS in game 7
2018 - WSH won @ VGK
2017 - PIT won @ NSH
2016 - PIT won @ SJS

Again, not saying they shouldn't just "win at home to win the whole thing", but history tells us, that if you win on the road (especially in the finals), then your chances are higher to win the cup. I mean, if VGK wins game 4 (i really don't see them winning game 3 but we shall see), then their path to the cup is that much easier by only needing to win 1 of 2 at home.

Maybe I’m just making too much out of this because I agree with a lot of what you say.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
That’s the part I disagree with. I think losing the first 2 on the road does mean you’re in serious trouble. Games 3 and 4 are must wins for Florida. And now they have to win 4 out of 5 to win the series.

Of course Florida could win those games. But if they do, I don’t think being at home will affect the outcome that much. They might win because they made good adjustments, or they executed/played better, because they are the more desperate team, the refs, injuries, or some combination of those.

That's the point of the saying though, Florida isn't in trouble until they actually do lose at home. If Vegas lost a game at home their pressure would be higher because they have to go to Florida and win at least one game, no way around it.

It's the reason the NHL doesn't do 2-3-2 format, even though it cuts travel costs. The lower seeded team gets too much advantage.

Vegas has held serve, and that's great, but they can't feel too good about themselves until they take one in Florida.

The top seed advantage doesn't come in to play until the final game of the series, and until that hypothetical game 7 you're always trying to steal one on the road and hold serve at home. Players talk about it every year.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
That's the point of the saying though, Florida isn't in trouble until they actually do lose at home. If Vegas lost a game at home their pressure would be higher because they have to go to Florida and win at least one game, no way around it.

It's the reason the NHL doesn't do 2-3-2 format, even though it cuts travel costs. The lower seeded team gets too much advantage.

Vegas has held serve, and that's great, but they can't feel too good about themselves until they take one in Florida.

The top seed advantage doesn't come in to play until the final game of the series, and until that hypothetical game 7 you're always trying to steal one on the road and hold serve at home. Players talk about it every year.

Vegas has done really well on the road in high pressure games though. The team took games 3 and 4 in Winnipeg and game 3 in Edmonton (despite Edmonton being a big favorite in game 3). So far this team really steps it up under pressure. Edmonton and Dallas lost game 6 at home despite being favorites too.

I think Dallas was in huge trouble after going down 2-0. In my opinion that cost them the series. Dallas should have taken game 2 and had a good shot in game 1. Going down 2-0 put them in a hole they couldn’t come back from.

We know that playoff teams can win on the road, so you don’t see some of the worst teams in the league that rarely win on the road in the months of May and June. You don’t get to pad your home record by playing the Ducks these days. Look at the regular season home records against only playoff teams and the home records aren’t going to be as impressive.

Some of the biggest disadvantages of being on the road during the season are gone. You don’t see teams at the end of a 5 game road trip that are tired, and you don’t see teams playing a game in one city, and traveling to another city to play another road game the next night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad