GDT: SAUNAMEN @ trashbirds

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
It really was an own goal. Jarvis centered the puck, it was going nowhere near the net, but squarely hit the blade of the defeseman's stick, and deflected cleanly into the net. By NHL rules, that's Blackhawks possession.
Yet, Fox's goal for the Rangers in their 1-0 win had assists granted to it. Pretty much the same play, throws the puck to the front from the boards, it's not going to be on net, hits Skjei's skate and deflects in.

So hitting the stick vs hitting the skate equals possession? Plus there was no attempt to play the puck by the defense unlike the Bruins own goal for Guentzel. Seems an odd scoring decision one way or the other.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Necas is arbitration eligible for sure. Isn't there the option to 1 or 2 years? If that's the case, my guess is the Canes are happy to roll the dice. I've also wondered if a shorter term deal in the 4 year territory would be acceptable. Necas would be 29 at the end and would still potentially be in line for a big payday.

Realistically, Necas is more in the Boeser, Schmaltz, Konecny, Ehlers category. That puts in in the low $6 million range just from a pure comparables standpoint IMO.

I think a 4-5 year term, like what the Canes did with Teravainen, may be a nice middle ground for both camps. He'd still get paid nicely (likely by a worse team, but still) in his age 29-30 season.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yet, Fox's goal for the Rangers in their 1-0 win had assists granted to it. Pretty much the same play, throws the puck to the front from the boards, it's not going to be on net, hits Skjei's skate and deflects in.

So hitting the stick vs hitting the skate equals possession? Plus there was no attempt to play the puck by the defense unlike the Bruins own goal for Guentzel. Seems an odd scoring decision one way or the other.

Look, what price do you want Guentzel for?

Retroactively take away every point he’s gotten for the Canes thus far for all I care, and then lock him in at $7.5m.

:sarcasm:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
To be fair, I don’t think there is a win in arbitration. The player and team are pinned against each other. I don’t think his numbers scream getting a big number in arbitration or an offer from any team. I don’t see why he would be motivated to sign anything short of a big deal either. Trouba’s 5.5 million award is the highest award by arbitration over the last 6 years. Bertuzzi got 3.5 million after 2 years of close to 50 points for 2 years. Of course most cases are settled before the hearing, usually because someone gives in or one finds out that they aren’t going to make a good case. So it’s hard to draw comparisons but the bertuzzi case is a decent comparison with Necas having a better 2 year look and a higher cap, so 5 is a decent guess imo. Could sneak closer to 5.5 mil.
Fair enough. I think he’d get six at least, wouldn’t surprise me if he got more….even in the 7 plus range possibly. As you say there’s not lot of great examples. They could go percentage of cap as well as straight dollar for dollar examples which may or may not affect things with the flat cap recent years…or maybe it would reflect the new cap.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I think a 4-5 year term, like what the Canes did with Teravainen, may be a nice middle ground for both camps. He'd still get paid nicely (likely by a worse team, but still) in his age 29-30 season.
I was gonna say Turbo locked in AFTER an assist-heavy, nearly PPG season for 5 yrs @ $5.4M...and it was pre-Covid so the current cap isn't drastically different. Granted goal-scoring probably gets weighted more heavily, cap expected to rise too in ensuing years.

I think if we don't keep Guentz, we probably do need to keep Necas else we're looking for 2 goal-scoring top 6 wingers. His inconsistencies and flubs are going to probably prevent him from getting $6M+. If we sign Guentz and a reasonable deal can't be made, trade him for our future Burns replacement, or add Kuzy/KK for our long-term 2C.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So hitting the stick vs hitting the skate equals possession?
Hitting the stick square on the blade? Yes. Most bounces off a player won't constitute possession. When it hits the blade of the stick as perfectly as any pass, they're gonna call that possession. Period, end of sentence.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
If it's enough possession to blow play dead on a delayed penalty, it's enough to prevent assists on an own goal.

That's my thought process for whether it makes sense or not.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Hitting the stick square on the blade? Yes. Most bounces off a player won't constitute possession. When it hits the blade of the stick as perfectly as any pass, they're gonna call that possession. Period, end of sentence.
So if that same sequence happens on a delayed penalty you'd rule it no goal?

If it's enough possession to blow play dead on a delayed penalty, it's enough to prevent assists on an own goal.

That's my thought process for whether it makes sense or not.
That would be my thought as well. But just having the puck hit your stick with no attempt to play it, regardless of how dead on it hits, doesn't strike me as possessing the puck unless it happened to hit and stop dead.

Granted it's the leagues view that matters so clearly they deemed it enough possession which is all she wrote.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Yup, I think he’s getting paid whatever route this goes. I think he’s frustrated to be honest. I’m sure he doesn’t want to leave but I also suspect he believes he could be playing a bigger role and deserves to be recognized more than he does. He’s been really clutch these last couple of years, if there’s statistical proof of that it’s another feather in his cap for arbitration.
I agree. While a job is a job, I don't think he or TT love life on PP2 or the constant shuffling of the deck chairs as to who they have as their line mates. He also missed 5 games this year after missing none last year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Did Rod mention why Morrow didn't get to draw in last night?
I suspect that with Skjei sitting, the Canes already had 4 RHD playing.
-Pesce and Chatfield already sat a game and I suspect he didn't want them to get too rusty.
-Burns isn't sitting with his game streak.
-Sitting TDA for a rookie and risking pissing him off is not something Rod's going to do. We'll need him I the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad