Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Been an issue for forever. Sarnia hasn't had to many issues with it. This has been a rarity. Which is funny cause you'd think the prior years guy may not wanna come here compared to now.

It hurts the draft for everyone if the kids actually aren't coming. Wasn't an overly deep draft & now a bunch of the top talent is going elsewhere. Not sure I've ever seen this many top guys bail.

I really hope they are legitimate in wanting to go elsewhere. It is beyond tiring watching some of these kids commit to a spot then the draft happen & then they commit to London, Kitchener. Have such little respect for those guys unless it's a spot that's legitimately a disaster.

Naturally tho, we get lucky for once and then the entire top 5 says yah actually I'm going to the US. Seca been put in a tough spot.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I would call Wassilyn' bluff. He wants to play OHL. He's said as much. He isn't tendered or rumored to the USHL/BCHL like others. His agent is tight with Niagara so what.

Take him. If he really does stand by wanting to play for Niagara of all places then trade him for a haul of picks + we'd get the #5 pick in next year's draft as compensation.

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
I would call Wassilyn' bluff. He wants to play OHL. He's said as much. He isn't tendered or rumored to the USHL/BCHL like others. His agent is tight with Niagara so what.

Take him. If he really does stand by wanting to play for Niagara of all places then trade him for a haul of picks + we'd get the #5 pick in next year's draft as compensation.
I wouldn't mind Wassilyn for Kevin He and maybe a pick or 2.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022

And on que.... Hate that these kids do this (if they r just trying to fall to certain teams)

There's a real chance these are Sarnia's top 2 choices. If this is a new development then we gotta audible last minute.

Just take Wassilyn if these kids are being annoying please.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022

Where does it say he won’t report to Sarnia ?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Interesting article in the observer today. About Sarnia's defense & youth.

They are thrilled with what they saw from their rookies. Does mention they will take 1or2 Dmen that "we'll commit to & sign/bring along" in the draft. Can't be mad at the approach of always having another Dman coming.

Also mentions he plans to add a veteran Dman. Whether that's summer, camp or during the season. Wants to be a playoff team & doesn't want all the young guys being thrust into spots they can't handle. While I don't disagree with the sentiment I am a bit surprised by that.

I'd prefer Fischer/Barr, Hurt/Young be the top 4 than bring in a vet & push Barr to pair 3 & push Andersen or Bridgewater out of the lineup. But I get it. Injuries always happen as we know as well & it's no guarantee Bridgewater or Andersen will be good enough, or that Barr/Hurt take a step forward. Also just about guarantees Cajkovic is gone then & we should be using 2 import spots. Think it's rather obvious Omeri will be an odd man out as well.

Most interesting though, is that he mentions they'll have an OA spot to work with. So they've already made up their mind that either Filak/Doucette are being moved on from, or Surzycia is. If I had to guess it's Surzycia.

Filak, Doucette are two of your only vet Fs. Both scored 25. Both should score 30+ next season. Flip side though, would be are they really that confident Chartier is OHL starting caliber & that Maillet is OHL level? Or something I'm really starting to think may happen. They are taking an import goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
You ice the best team it doesn’t who’s returning.
It matters where you are at IMO. Older team? Absolutely. Next yr while I think we'll be solid, it'll still be a young, building team.

I can see why they think like this. Barr, Hurt are 17. Don't have to play 20+ every night. But I like them playing T4, PP, PK to get that experience for the following 2 seasons when we are competing (hopefully)

And even more so, I want Bridgewater, Andersen, O'Toole whoever the bottom pair would be to play a good amount for the same reason. I also hate when teams run 7D and rotate young guys. Bringing in an OA would do those things.

I do like he reinforced they wouldn't pay a lot. Be a cheap add. And I do like having experience on D. Just think Barr, Hurt will be good enough for T4 & I wanna see that rookie pair get good games, minutes in. But the counter & a fair one is we don't know if they'll take a step or that the rookies will be every day OHLers then we'd be weak back there.

I trust Seca so I'll trust his view.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Fitzgerald is shocking. He did an interview with the OHL in January saying he's dreamt of playing in the league his whole life. His dad played in it & he wants to follow it.

Seems to have caught everyone off guard he did it. Out of nowhere 2 days before the draft too. With Sarnia seemingly ready to pick him they are probably very frustrated.
Don’t give up the on him playing in the OHL. Green Bay has removed his post about him tendering (whatever that is? It must an Americanism) combining that with the Peterborough Examiner article which tells a different story I think we may still see him play in the OHL.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Well, Belchetz off the board. Who we picking at 2 ? I'm gonna say we take the best player available whether he commits or not and thats valentini

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I'm sticking to it. Call Wassilyn' bluff. The agent can F off. What are we doing here. Niagara? Really? I am not saying we are anything special, but Niagara?

You really gonna tell me Braidy & his family will look at our NHL ownership, stability, WJC head coach & say no chance I want to go to Niagara who's not been the biggest joke in the OHL the last 5 years. The biggest joke in the CHL (sorry Niagara fans)

If he legitimately stands by it for whatever reason then Niagara can give us two 2nds & two or three 3rds for him & we get the #5 pick next year.

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
I'm sticking to it. Call Wassilyn' bluff. The agent can F off. What are we doing here. Niagara? Really? I am not saying we are anything special, but Niagara?

You really gonna tell me Braidy & his family will look at our NHL ownership, stability, WJC head coach & say no chance I want to go to Niagara who's not been the biggest joke in the OHL the last 5 years. The biggest joke in the CHL (sorry Niagara fans)

If he legitimately stands by it for whatever reason then Niagara can give us two 2nds & two or three 3rds for him & we get the #5 pick next year.
Don't forget are brand new facilities as well.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
OHL4Life says we are taking Alessandro Di Iorio. I've watched quite a bit of him. He's a really fun player. If true he was one of my favorites outside Belchetz/Wassilyn/Valentini.

Looks like they'll go the for sure route over taking a risk.

He's 6'1 C. Good skater. Great shot. Sick (and I mean sick) hands. Competes hard all 200ft.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
OHL4Life says we are taking Alessandro Di Iorio. I've watched quite a bit of him. He's a really fun player. If true he was one of my favorites outside Belchetz/Wassilyn/Valentini.

Looks like they'll go the for sure route over taking a risk.

He's 6'1 C. Good skater. Great shot. Sick (and I mean sick) hands. Competes hard

If Seca and scouting staff are happy with him then so am I. I really hope these higher ranked players actually leave and aren't bluffing. I've watched a few games of Di lorio and I was impressed with his play, he's 6'1 skates well and is a xentre which we need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad