Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Belchetz looked pretty good in the ohl cup championship game that his team won! Blocked numerous key shots and looks pretty good defensively, also not afraid to use his large frame and initiate contact. Would be an interesting player to draft but he's a winger. Thoughts on him?

Reactions: StingUpdates

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Belchetz looked pretty good in the ohl cup championship game that his team won! Blocked numerous key shots and looks pretty good defensively, also not afraid to use his large frame and initiate contact. Would be an interesting player to draft but he's a winger. Thoughts on him?
You will get to see him alot next year in a Spits jersey, lol.
There are 3 top prospects this year, Sting will get a real good player at #2.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Denney GWG to send Stratford to round 3. 8G/1A in 9 playoff games.

How exciting could next year's team be with additions like Wassilyn/Valentini/Belchetz, Denney, #4 import pick, no 2nd but Sarnia has the 3rd & 4th pick of round 3. Gonna have #2 pick in U18 draft where Sarnia's been better than most. Hopefully take a 2nd import too. Up to 5-6-7 new guys to bring more life to the F group.

Should make Hall, Sim, Lominac, Luecke work even harder knowing there spots are in real jeopardy. Hypothetically could be

Brown-Wainwright-Doucette
Kostuch-Import-Filak
Denney-Wassilyn-Doherty
Moses-Luecke-Import

Hall/Sim/Lominac/3rd RD pick x2, U18 pick.
We have our 2nd & 3rd picks back from Ottawa because Moldenhauer didn’t play an ohl game.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
If he was a C I think he'd be who I want. We so badly need a C. Especially a dynamic one. As a player he's fun. It's rare this league has seen someone like him. Does make him a bit scarier than the other 2 for not panning out, but if he does hit... Unstoppable.

As of now I think Valentini is my #1 choice & if Seca' track record says anything he'd probably lean the same way. Smarts, high motor, leadership, high end skill.

But I truthfully don't think we can go wrong between the 3.

Reactions: Jason M

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
We have our 2nd & 3rd picks back from Ottawa because Moldenhauer didn’t play an ohl game.
Oh ya? So anyone have an updated look at what we are drafting this year ?

If he was a C I think he'd be who I want. We so badly need a C. Especially a dynamic one. As a player he's fun. It's rare this league has seen someone like him. Does make him a bit scarier than the other 2 for not panning out, but if he does hit... Unstoppable.

As of now I think Valentini is my #1 choice & if Seca' track record says anything he'd probably lean the same way. Smarts, high motor, leadership, high end skill.

But I truthfully don't think we can go wrong between the 3.
I agree with Belchetz and Valentinni, haven't watched enough of Wassilyn to really comment on him. Either way awesome that we moved up 2 spots !

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
I see Beamish , and Denney have both made it to their respective finals in Jr b, of the two who do you all think has the better chance of making the sting roster next year?

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Soon that will change when CHL can head to NCAA after they play OA. Going to be a game changer wont lose any players yo US college route.
2025 I'm hearing will be 1st crop heading to NCAA after CHL

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Soon that will change when CHL can head to NCAA after they play OA. Going to be a game changer wont lose any players yo US college route.
Oh ya? So anyone have an updated look at what we are drafting this year ?

I agree with Belchetz and Valentinni, haven't watched enough of Wassilyn to really comment on him. Either way awesome that we moved up 2 spots !
We pick 2nd in the first 3 rounds & have the Rangers 3rd* but there were conditions on that pick.

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
Marko's year ending on a real sour note . Him ,Dilly and the Newfoundland Growlers have nowhere to play after team dissolved

• Wow
Reactions: howler2

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Russians to be allowed back in the import draft OHL4LIFE says. Always credible.

That's big. They are always such fun, energetic players & we pick top 5. Injection of high end talent to the draft.

Me thinks they target a 17 yr old to be here for 3 years.

And now Marek & Dreger confirm it.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I really wouldn't be against taking an import goalie with our 2nd pick. We have our D set. Gonna add #2 pick, #4 import pick for sure at F. Denney possibly. Luecke probably. Then whoever else they draft next week.

Could free up an OA spot by dealing Surzycia who's a fine but not elite goalie. Chartier TBD.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Amazing rule .... it sucks for some OA's the only option is OUA ... massive door now open to continue to play at an ultra high level.

Reactions: TonyB

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I really wouldn't be against taking an import goalie with our 2nd pick. We have our D set. Gonna add #2 pick, #4 import pick for sure at F. Denney possibly. Luecke probably. Then whoever else they draft next week.

Could free up an OA spot by dealing Surzycia who's a fine but not elite goalie. Chartier TBD.
I just read someone's mock draft and he had Nyman 2 and Belchetz was down at 10... I also read some people don't like Wassilyn ... Seems maybe it's not as clear cut as we thought ?? I personally think we need a big forward and Belchetz fits the bill but so does Wassilyn. .... I wish I knew more about these kids but I literally know nothing.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I just read someone's mock draft and he had Nyman 2 and Belchetz was down at 10... I also read some people don't like Wassilyn ... Seems maybe it's not as clear cut as we thought ?? I personally think we need a big forward and Belchetz fits the bill but so does Wassilyn. .... I wish I knew more about these kids but I literally know nothing.
Belchetz for most is consensus top 3. But some don't like him. By some I mean very few haha. I think it entirely comes from the age old is he just good because he's big. Cause obviously at 14/15 it's a huge advantage to be 6'4 220 when half the guys u go against are 5'8/5'9/5'10. From what I've watched he's worth the "risk" because he has legit skill, isn't a bad skater.

Wassilyn is still in everybody's top 5 but he definitely has an up & down motor/work ethic. Could that be coaching? Team he was on? Still elite skater, elite hands, great shot & is good size.

Valentini is my favorite. Sucks he's 5'11. But elite IQ, Motor, passing, vision. Gonna be a guy that makes everyone better. Reminds me a lot of Wyatt Johnston when he was in Windsor when I've watched him.

We need a center which is why I lean Valentini and Wassilyn. All our young guys are wingers. Gotta get a dynamic, high end kid in the middle.

Reactions: rve24

TonyB

Oct 1, 2023

Wouldn't count on Mother Russia releasing their fighting aged boys for hockey in Canada

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound

Just my opinion but I think you'd get better value taking a F or a D with the 2nd import pick. If you're bringing in a #1 goalie who plays 45-50 games then sure but other wise you're getting a goalie to play ~30 games over a F or D who might play 68.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Belchetz for most is consensus top 3. But some don't like him. By some I mean very few haha. I think it entirely comes from the age old is he just good because he's big. Cause obviously at 14/15 it's a huge advantage to be 6'4 220 when half the guys u go against are 5'8/5'9/5'10. From what I've watched he's worth the "risk" because he has legit skill, isn't a bad skater.

Wassilyn is still in everybody's top 5 but he definitely has an up & down motor/work ethic. Could that be coaching? Team he was on? Still elite skater, elite hands, great shot & is good size.

Valentini is my favorite. Sucks he's 5'11. But elite IQ, Motor, passing, vision. Gonna be a guy that makes everyone better. Reminds me a lot of Wyatt Johnston when he was in Windsor when I've watched him.

We need a center which is why I lean Valentini and Wassilyn. All our young guys are wingers. Gotta get a dynamic, high end kid in the middle.
If Valentini is your guy, 5'11" isn't really small by OHL standards. He's also 5'11" at 16. What might he be at 17? 6'1" or 6'2"? Lots of kids that get drafted next week are still growing. If he's got the best tool kit in your opinion that's the guy I'd take personally. They say you can't teach size but a lot of size never develops the skill.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016

lol 5'11 is pretty big man... he'd already be taller than Easton Cowan and Goyette and you gotta think he's got an inch left to grow.... Personally, I love the bigger more powerful guy with the skill and shot.. I'm reading Wassilyn has the size, skill and speed so I think he's the guy I want. It's rare that a guy that size can skate well.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
lol 5'11 is pretty big man... he'd already be taller than Easton Cowan and Goyette and you gotta think he's got an inch left to grow.... Personally, I love the bigger more powerful guy with the skill and shot.. I'm reading Wassilyn has the size, skill and speed so I think he's the guy I want. It's rare that a guy that size can skate well.
Definitely fair. They can't go wrong imo between the 3. There are some other guys behind them (Alessandro Di Lorio, Caleb Malhotra, Nathan Amidovski) who are damn good in there own right.

Should be fun. Usually the #1 pick is announced the day before so we'll know the 1 guy we can't take a week from now.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022

We’ve had luck at the U18 drafting goalies .

Reactions: StingUpdates

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
I’d rather have a big player on the wing instead of wondering if said player is a natural Center.
We already have enough small guys to play that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia