Recalled/Assigned: Sandin is up

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Missing the playoffs, or not being as good as you could be, while a defensive upgrade plays in the AHL, is a far greater "oof".
it's terrible asset management to burn that ELC if we flop this year. I think we all know this team won't fair well. Sandin isn't gonna change that unfortunately. IMHO

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
The Leafs have people to work the cap. While people were completely freaking out about this season they have made it work.
worked? Do you realize how many points we've pissed away cause our 'working' cap won't allow us to solve the backup issue? An issue Dubas has created all by himself and hasn't fixed. Not having the ability to address issue because you're at the cap ceiling is not 'working' And now the answer is to piss away an ELC year cause you built a trash d core? This dude is killing us

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Players have been called up for practicing with the team. And Kivihalme was called up because of his connection with Minnesota and the Leafs' wanting an extra D on the road. I don't think either apply here - as they play Jersey in Toronto tomorrow and were in Florida last night (especially as the Marlies remain in Texas all week).

Wasn't Lilligren called up a few times already and hasn't played ?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
worked? Do you realize how many points we've pissed away cause our 'working' cap won't allow us to solve the backup issue? An issue Dubas has created all by himself and hasn't fixed. Not having the ability to address issue because you're at the cap ceiling is not 'working' And now the answer is to piss away an ELC year cause you built a trash d core? This dude is killing us

The Leafs can fix their backup issues by trading one of their 48 NHL ready forwards.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Wasn't Lilligren called up a few times already and hasn't played ?

Yes - to practice with the team when he was already in Toronto and the team was practicing. I assume the Leafs are not practicing between being in Florida last night and playing at home tomorrow night. Even if they were practicing today Sandin wouldn't be joining them as he has to fly to Toronto from Texas.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

All by himself. What a crock.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The only way it's going to work is if we had 2 stud experienced D-men to pair with them - which we don't.

If 4 of our defensemen going into next year are Sandin, Liljegren, Dermott, and Holl, we are in massive trouble, that's way too inexperienced of a defense core.
Finally someone calling a spade a spade ... those 4 guys even partnered with Muzzy and Rielly is a complete and total disaster ... you'd have to play Rielly and Muzzy 50% of every game so close to 30 minutes each game
We need 2 more defensive dmen with some physical size and strength who can skate
Rielly XXX
Muzzy XXX/Holl
Sandin/Dermy XXX/Holl (on reduced/sheltered minutes)

This is a complete rebuild of our defense. We are not constructed right for defense. I am not comfortable even in knowledge that Dubie can figure it out. There is a complete misconception here that you can free wheel your way out of trouble all the time. Bottom line you can't. Sometimes you need to put a few people on their ar*e and let folks know you don't get easy access to our crease. and you can't expect our forwards the way we are constructed to get back and play defenseman every shift too. This 5 guy fall back to protect the house is causing a ton of screen shot goals where our goalies do not even see the puck. and the only reason we are doing this strategy is because our coaches have ZERO faith or confidence in our defenders to do anything defensively.

Reactions: IPS

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Yes - to practice with the team when he was already in Toronto and the team was practicing. I assume the Leafs are not practicing between being in Florida last night and playing at home tomorrow night. Even if they were practicing today Sandin wouldn't be joining them as he has to fly to Toronto from Texas.

Oh okay I see. Thanks for the clarification.

That's positive news then, he likely plays.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
it's terrible asset management to burn that ELC if we flop this year. I think we all know this team won't fair well. Sandin isn't gonna change that unfortunately. IMHO

Pissing away an ELC year is being waaay overstated here, like it's gonna handcuff the franchise for a decade or something.

So we'll have to sign him to a second contract similar to Dermott's a year early, big deal.

The pro's outweigh the cons. We're talking about one of the highest rated young players outside of the NHL right now, present day.

We are a legit contender if the defense can handle itself and improve, and he's gonna be a huge part of hopefully fixing that massive hole.

Historically in the league there have been some call-ups that have come in and provided their teams a real shot in the arm down the stretch and into the playoffs, hopefully Sandin can do the same for us and make this year a year where we can go far.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Pieterangelo + Lil + Sandin combined will be making roughly what Ceci+Muzzin+Barrie (50% retained) are making this year.

That leaves us with a 2 year window until we get drilled. Lilly and Sandin while likely both be making over 4M at that point

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Drop "Pylon" Marincin and put Sandin in the lineup. We mine as well play our future that is ready. It cannot be any worse then Marincin's play.

Reactions: supermann_98

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
That leaves us with a 2 year window until we get drilled. Lilly and Sandin while likely both be making over 4M at that point

By then, the new TV deal is going to kick in (also Seattle expansion), which is expected to increase the cap significantly. When NBA got their new TV deal, their cap went from $70 mil to $94 mil in one year.

Reactions: supermann_98

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I’m guessing the reason lily and Sandin weren’t being called up is So Dubas won’t have to protect them in expansion.

2 years on ELC burnt then need to protect.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
All by himself. What a crock.
Sorry. I was under the impression he waived our solid backup to go with Sparks. Then when he had to kick him out of the dressing room a week before the playoffs he did nothing to solve that. Maybe I'm thinking of a different guy :p

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
This call up is a great time to reflect on things i believe.

First of all i will qualify that icing a more competitive team trumps burning off a year of a entry level contract every time.

Second, we need a good backup goalie.

Third, i believe Dubas waited to long to fire dirtbag and if not for that hot streak we are outnof the playoff picture before last nights game.

Four, its time to shake out the lineup of players we won’t be resigning next season and that points to Ceci and Barrie. Barrie’s defense is just to bad to be considered a productive player because he is scoring points. He has to go and so does Ceci, the sooner the better because waiting to long by Dubas this time is dangerously tricky.

Bracco can get us a backup goalie(Georgiev) straight up hockey trade. Seems like a perfect fit for both teams.

Sandin and Liljegren are ready and should be in the lineup even if we have to waive Ceci.

So... get our backup now!
Burn the entry level years on both Liljegren and Sandin
Trade Barrie sooner rather than later for a need. We have needs as anyone can see after these last three games. The need is players that can play defense.

Things need to be fixed expeditiously. Blind faith doesn’t win games. Quality players that are needs do.

This is a observation post and not a panic post. Would rather it done now. Easier said than done likely when the G.M calls around. I would prefer it done now is a better statement I’ll say.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Sorry. I was under the impression he waived our solid backup to go with Sparks. Then when he had to kick him out of the dressing room a week before the playoffs he did nothing to solve that. Maybe I'm thinking of a different guy :p

Dubas created the entire cap issue :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad