Recalled/Assigned: Sandin is up

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
You guys have too many offensive type defensemen, that's part of the issue. You need two bruisers back there.

I disagree, Liljegren and Sandin are two great 2 way defenders who know how to defend and how to get the puck out of our end (either by skating or passing it out). That's what Toronto needs

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't think you're following Sandin all that closely...

None of them have a clue what they are talking about. The idea that Sandin is poor defensively was a lie that was started because Sandin was producing a lot more than Liljegren.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Hainsey is making 3.5 million right now. We had no way of getting him back. He wanted to much cash. We can only fit this team barely under the cap with Barrie making 2.75 million. Despite Barrie being atrocious at defense he has good offensive skills and is still a better player than hainsey is rn. Hainsey was getting feasted on by bergeron/rat/pasta the past two years. Nothing would have changed if we brought him back.

We need to find a better fit for the top pair than Barrie who is young enough to play with Mo long term.

Hainsey is a used, peeling bandaid bot a difference maker.
My bad on teh 2 mil.

Reily had a career year playing with him. There was no reason to mess with something that was working. Dubas loves doing that with old guys it seems. Mcbackup was the same thing. Fixing what's not broken then actually breaking it.

Not being able to handle a 3.5 1 year deal is also not a good argument for dubas. lirl

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Long time coming. Based on play alone, he probably didn't deserve to be sent down in the first place. He certainly wasn't the 7th best leafs defensemen when he got demoted.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
He has only called up one D-man so far. A D who Bobby Mac said was the Leafs' 2nd or 3rd best D some games during the 6 game try out at the start of the season. Lilly loses a year this year regardless.

Boston burned ELCs for both Carlo and McAvoy in 2016/17. Probably resulted in them getting cheaper 2nd contracts for both.

I was opposed to bringing him up right now (although it has nothing to do with being concerned about burning an ELC year which I have always thought was a ridiculous concern and one that GMs don't care about, but fans have fainting spells over).
The value of an ELC becomes far more valuable when a team is up against the cap like we are. If we burn that ELC and say don't make the playoffs....oof

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I guess either Muzzin won't be back for some time yet, or they have a plan for Sandin even when Muzzin returns. Hopefully Sandin makes an impression with this opportunity.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The value of an ELC becomes far more valuable when a team is up against the cap like we are. If we burn that ELC and say don't make the playoffs....oof

The Leafs have people to work the cap. While people were completely freaking out about this season they have made it work.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Don't want to be a kill joy, but haven't players been called up this season and sent down without a game ?

Could this be just a cap think like those other call ups ?

Hope not, because I want to see Sandin playing, just throwing it out there.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Don't want to be a kill joy, but haven't players been called up this season and sent down without a game ?

Could this be just a cap think like those other call ups ?

Hope not, because I want to see Sandin playing, just throwing it out there.

Players have been called up for practicing with the team. And Kivihalme was called up because of his connection with Minnesota and the Leafs' wanting an extra D on the road. I don't think either apply here - as they play Jersey in Toronto tomorrow and were in Florida last night (especially as the Marlies remain in Texas all week).

Last edited:

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the issue in burning the first year of his ELC if he stays up and plays.

Based on his trajectory and potentional, I'd prefer to lock in him into his next deal after only 2 full seasons (+ whatever he plays this season) rather than waiting to see what he looks like after 3+.
Exactly, a team like Colorado got MacKinnon locked up after a bad 2nd year under his ELC, then he exploded after his extension.

While our young guys all took our team to the cleaners on their 2nd contract because they all started so well. I'd prefer we get them locked up long term after some initial struggles instead of paying for their early career achievements

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Glad he gets another look but I assume he goes back down once Muzzin is back.

One more hard offseason of training and Sandin should be physically ready for a full time NHL spot.

Lily gets called up once Ceci is moved at the deadline

Reactions: stickty111

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

One more hard offseason of training and Sandin should be physically ready for a full time NHL spot.

Hopefully Ceci is moved like this week. Liljegren is ready and deserves at least a look. Gives us a little under a month to evaluate and see of we need to bring another guy in. Would be a good test with teams in full mid-season form.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

He might just be up for tomorrow’s game and back to the Marlies for Thursday too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad