Prospect Info: Samuel Honzek (LW/C) Vancouver Giants (Drafted 16th overall 2023)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Admit my mind immediately went to Slovakian Jankowski. That could just be the trauma tho.
I still can’t believe he actually made it to the show. And got to play with Jagr???? Fever dream.

Still a little upset that he fell off so hard after his rookie campaign. He was good enough to stick around and then he had that wild 50 game span with 0 points :laugh:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I still can’t believe he actually made it to the show. And got to play with Jagr???? Fever dream.

Still a little upset that he fell off so hard after his rookie campaign. He was good enough to stick around and then he had that wild 50 game span with 0 points :laugh:
Weisbrod saying and Feaster repeating "Jankowski will be viewed as the best player in the 2012 draft." was the kiss of death. What high school kid drafted 21st overall can live up to that kind of hype and pressure? What a pair of idiots... dumb and dumber.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

It was his sophomore campaign, but easy enough mistake. For some reason Peters didn't seem to like Jankowski, and Ward never changed much after Peters was fired. He was coming of a 30+ point season and being one of our top PKers to bouncing between the 4th line and the press box, then was expected to still contribute 2+ minutes on the PK (only player that averaged more PK time per game was Lindholm). The only forward to play less per game at ES that dressed for the Flames that season was Rinaldo.

Reactions: Fig

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Where is this rumor coming from that Honzek has a low ceiling? Did people just read is height and come to that conclusion? He is pretty widely viewed as a super high potential player, with most questions coming from his injury causing limited viewings and this being his first season on North American soil. The guy is large, is fast and not just for his height, and has great finish both from in tight and from afar with great offensive instincts to boot. Comparisons mentioned have been Rantanan and even Draisaitl from Conroy himself. Obviously there’s no guarantee he hits this ceiling or else he would’ve been taken much higher but this isn’t some scrub who was picked because somebody measured his height.

Reactions: Pomee and Fig

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Where is this rumor coming from that Honzek has a low ceiling? Did people just read is height and come to that conclusion? He is pretty widely viewed as a super high potential player, with most questions coming from his injury causing limited viewings and this being his first season on North American soil. The guy is large, is fast and not just for his height, and has great finish both from in tight and from afar with great offensive instincts to boot. Comparisons mentioned have been Rantanan and even Draisaitl from Conroy himself. Obviously there’s no guarantee he hits this ceiling or else he would’ve been taken much higher but this isn’t some scrub who was picked because somebody measured his height.

From various scouting reports online. Everyone has conflicting reports about him so we'll really just have to wait and see. I've seen everything from Hanzal to Jamie Benn so I stopped caring and I'll just wait until I see him play.

Draisaitl from Conroy is bullshit. Honzek said he models his game after Draisaitl and Conroy said that was a high bar and that he had one in mind but wouldn't share it.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I think some of the scouting reports are incomplete due to certain scouts not being able to see him enough due to injury. I think that's why there seem to be contradictory ones out there. Poor wording contributes to it as well.

The clip that @Dack posted, if you watched him, you'd assume his skating was garbage and he's slow. A few reports say that his skating is ugly and slow. However, in the last bit of that highlight compilation, you see him with some ridiculous blistering speed on open ice. I forget which Russian player in the past was a tall and super fast freight train, but Honzek in that clip reminded me of that guy.

IMO, the reality is that his skating is awkward and acceleration slow. I think it's in the same range as Tkachuk and Monahan. But, top speed on open ice wise, he can challenge and likely exceed most of our current roster players. So assuming that his skating overall is Tkachuk or Monahan level is wrong. He can and likely will have an overall skating that is above average after working on it vs Tkachuk and Monahan will always have slightly below to average skating.

Then there's the fact that he has not stand out elite skill, so most posters assume it's a safe pick. But if you view the clips, he does almost everything reasonably well. Being a jack of all trades is its own type of elite package. If Honek figures everything out with a good level of consistency, that's a unicorn in this league. If not, he's that low floor interesting but frustrating player like ZadORRov. Zadorov channeling Bobby Orr regularly is a league top elite dman. But he isn't consistent, so he's a solid second pairing calibre guy instead. This is the risk with Honzek.

That being said, when I started digging into Honzek, it reminds me of my confusion with Valimaki when we first drafted him over Liljegren. But the scouts were right on that one. We almost has a 2/3 dman out of him before a combination of injury/Covid shut down/Sutter brutally derailed him from second pairing to bottom pairing. I'm warming up to Honzek in the same way. I had no idea about him at all before the draft, but I see the logic and I'm excited about the prospect we chose.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Daily reminder this team stapled Sam Bennett onto Mark Jankowski for years instead of giving him some talent and letting it ride.

Jankowski had the processor speed of a Window ME operating system.

Another daily reminder that we opted out of Teuvo Teraveinen to go all in Mark Jankowski and Patrick Sieloff. :laugh:

7-8 years ago, saying this one this board would have been sacrilege too.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Daily reminder this team stapled Sam Bennett onto Mark Jankowski for years instead of giving him some talent and letting it ride.

Jankowski had the processor speed of a Window ME operating system.

Another daily reminder that we opted out of Teuvo Teraveinen to go all in Mark Jankowski and Patrick Sieloff. :laugh:

7-8 years ago, saying this one this board would have been sacrilege too.
The Bennett-Jankowski-Jagr line had one shift for the ages. They didn't score though.

Reactions: cheechoo and Fig

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The Bennett-Jankowski-Jagr line had one shift for the ages. They didn't score though.
I think you're misremembering. Versteeg - Bennett - Jagr had a shift for the ages. Actually a whole two games where they were insane, but stonewalled by some hot goalies.

Bennett - Jankowski - Jagr scored plenty, but Jagr got hurt and struggled with backchecking in particular

Reactions: cheechoo

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think you're misremembering. Versteeg - Bennett - Jagr had a shift for the ages. Actually a whole two games where they were insane, but stonewalled by some hot goalies.

Bennett - Jankowski - Jagr scored plenty, but Jagr got hurt and struggled with backchecking in particular
Sounds right.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Still don’t understand where people see a low ceiling for Honzek. Guy has great size, good skating, and a huge shot. Was the best player by far on the Giants, and could take over games despite a bad injury and it being his first season on North American soil.

Guy was a sure fire top 10 pick if he didn’t get injured, this was just the draft that any semblance of a question mark made players tumble with how great the top end was. Guy screams massive room for improvement as well with how janky his stride is, how much room he has to fill out, and maybe most of all Iginla working with him.

Last edited:

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Iginla as a mentor gives me so much more confidence in a pick I was already pretty confident in. I think Honzek is the start of a new-look Flames; front office is the old heart and soul of the team, and I think we're trending towards being a cohesive unit of players who are bought into the org, the staff, and most importantly each other.

Fun is back on the menu.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Still don’t understand where people see a low ceiling for Honzek. Guy has great size, good skating, and a huge shot. Was the best player by far on the Giants, and could take over games despite a bad injury and it being his first season on North American soil.

Guy was a sure fire top 10 pick if he didn’t get injured, this was just the draft that any semblance of a question mark made players tumble with how great the top end was. Guy screams massive room for improvement as well with how janky his stride is, how much room he has to fill out, and maybe most of all Iginla working with him.

I think because they didn't see a specific dazzling elite skill and a bunch of average to above average skills and tools that could give a chance at superstardom, they automatically defaulted to low floor. But Honzek isn't a basic jack of all trades, he has extra tools that are 9s and 10s as well. Fans just want to see a bunch of Kings and Aces in their hand and are OK ignoring the lower cards to do it.

If Honzek is as intelligent as I think he might be and has both Huberdeau and Iginla mentoring him... I think by the time he's 20, he's a solid 2C/1st line wing calibre with quality but not elite 1C upside.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames see Rantanen upside in Honzek, that's good enough for me.

I watched/read a bunch on Honzek and most had him as a top 10 pick before injury and after his injury he didn't pick up where he was before. To me all that needs is motivation, and attending your rookie camp and having f***ing Jarome Iginla mentor you and give you tips on your shot should be enough motivation to go back and absolutely dominate the WHL this upcoming season.

I think a lot of people don't see the upside because his numbers aren't mind blowing, but he also played on one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

Reactions: Fig

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You like making picks like Honzek.
Where a fluke injury takes him out of a top 10 pick and you land him in the middle of the first round. When this guy puts on another 20-25lbs, it's going to be a nice addition. If you get a Mikko Rantanen-lite here you're over the moon.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I dunno. Pretty steep for a guy who's never played an NHL game in his life. :sarcasm:

Honzo is such a weird nickname. It makes me think of Hattori Hanzo.

You like making picks like Honzek.
Where a fluke injury takes him out of a top 10 pick and you land him in the middle of the first round. When this guy puts on another 20-25lbs, it's going to be a nice addition. If you get a Mikko Rantanen-lite here you're over the moon.

Pelletier is another that got injured and fell IIRC. Barzal is another that in recent conversations, I realized he got injured and fell in his draft year.

Curious whether this could be a new trade philosophy to pick up some damn good value on a falling player? It also means the player from the get go understands the importance of proper rehab on injuries vs playing through stuff (ie: Monahan :() and has the tenacity to fight adversity in the right way from very early in their careers vs cutting corners and losing out long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: